Record player maintenance question..

I have a Numark TT200 direct drive turntable that recently has started doing something funny. When playing a normal 33RPM 12", I notice a hint of speed difference every once in a while. It is as if someone is taking the pitch and moving it up and/or down really quickly. Some times are more frequent than others.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Is there an easy fix?

Hmm, Direct Drive pitch problems are usually not an easy fix.

that's a bummer, i've got a hand-me-down direct-drive that crapped out as far as pitch is concerned as well...luckily a friend didn't have room/use for his turntable, so I've set it up until I can purchase a new one or fix the old one

• 2 weeks later...

rather than creating a new thread, i thought i'd just bump an older one.

lately there's been some "surface noise" type stuff going on with my turntable (it's fairly new, about 3 months old now [an Ion usb turntable]). i use it quite a lot and i dunno if it could be the needle already? orr something else? it has a built in pre-amp already bytheway.

i'm still a newbie when it comes to the technical stuff on all this.

rather than creating a new thread, i thought i'd just bump an older one.

lately there's been some "surface noise" type stuff going on with my turntable (it's fairly new, about 3 months old now [an Ion usb turntable]). i use it quite a lot and i dunno if it could be the needle already? orr something else? it has a built in pre-amp already bytheway.

i'm still a newbie when it comes to the technical stuff on all this.

if you use it quite a bit then it's probably the needle. Also you might want to check your ground.

i gotta problem with my direct drive turntable too. playing 33s are fine, but when moving the band down to the 45 slot, the band always falls off the sub platter after a few revolutions. it wont stay on for any longer than 30 seconds or so. any help?

If it has a belt, it's not a direct drive turntable.

It might be time to get a new belt. It sounds like it's lost its elasticity.

i gotta problem with my direct drive turntable too. playing 33s are fine, but when moving the band down to the 45 slot, the band always falls off the sub platter after a few revolutions. it wont stay on for any longer than 30 seconds or so. any help?

If it has a belt, it's not a direct drive turntable.

It might be time to get a new belt. It sounds like it's lost its elasticity.

i couldnt think of a better term than 'belt' for the rubber band that wraps around the sub platter and motor, thus allowing the motor to 'drive' the sub. the band is literally around 15 cm in circumference and is probably 2mm thick. the subplatter does not sit directly on the motor, the motor is set back a couple of centimeters from the sub platter, so yeah sorry, its a belt driven one. my old belt tables use to have these gigantic belts on them - i thought this one may have been classified differently.

i gottan email back from goldring who said that maybe the motor was not aligned anymore with the sub-platter. could be a costly exercise to fix it...

the best solution i can offer, is don't use ion or numark turntables. especially if you got one of those USB ones from urban outfitters.

you'd be better off with one of those crosley traveler players. i have one in my bedroom for when i don't want to disturb the neighbors or the roomates with my set-up. they're great.