Flying with vinyl?

chris and i got hassled hardcore on out of Bradley for carrying about 75 lps on our way to fest... they searched my bags and xrayed the record boxes seperately, and they patted down chris and swabbed the boxes and ran tests on the swabs.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. But if they let you on with them, then I think I'll be OK.

chris and i got hassled hardcore on out of Bradley for carrying about 75 lps on our way to fest... they searched my bags and xrayed the record boxes seperately, and they patted down chris and swabbed the boxes and ran tests on the swabs.

To be fair, Chris does look like a terrorist.

Flying back from Chicago to Austria about 2 years ago, I carried a lot of vinyl in my hand luggage. Just wrapped it with some cardboard and took it on the plane. There were about 40 12"es and a good amount of 7"es. No problem except for the security check when they stopped the belt and looked at it closely. I was like "something wrong with the records?" and they just said "ah, ok, these are records!" ´cause they didn´t quite get it seeing it through Xray I believe. Other than that, I am glad that customs did not check the parcel :) Here´s a picture of half of the stuff: click.

do you guys think i should put them in my checked baggage or in my carry-on?

if i were to put them into my checked baggage i'd fit them all into lp mailers and put them on some clothes or something.

I would carry them on if at all possible. But, depending on the total number, and plane size, you may have to check them. LP mailers in the center of your suitcase, completely surrounded by clothes or bubble wrap is about as safe as you could easily get.

Keep in mind, in the baggage control operations of some major airports, bags drop 5+ ft from belt to belt, others have spring mounted arms that slam into bags, redirecting them onto different belts. The only way to guarantee safety is to keep them in your arms.

when i flew back from the states last year i had about 20 records to take home. i packed them in record mailers, about five in each and then put them in a carry bag and nursed them all home on a 14 hour flight. i didn't have any trouble with the weight or it looking suspicious, but it seemed like when you were leaving america, they didn't give a shit about security.