shipping for n00bs

aeast317

so i'm just starting to ship records, and i want to know the best (and selfishly the most cost effective way to do it)

i shipped one last week, and it went well, though it cost me more than it shouldve (didn't use media mail)

I have a few packages going out this week and want to package them as best as possible. I did fine packaging one, but it's the orders that are more than 1 that im worried about.

Should I just buy some LP mailers?

Also, to ship media mail do i just tell them i want it media mail? Can I use a free priority box and still do media mail?

haha thanks for the help, and sorry for being a n00b.

and if you are reading this and i'm sending you records, don't worry. they wont arrive split into two, i just want to be 100% sure im doing it the right way!

I've made mailers before, but I generally have been able to reuse old mailers by either turning it inside out or just taping a new shipping address on top of the old one.

Also, I always ship media mail with delivery confirmation. I do the confirmation for myself so no one can ever say I didn't send something.

when i mail records i just tell the person behind the counter to do whatever is cheapest.

i reuse old mailers too.

when you ship lps, always take the lp and dustsleeve out of the actual record sleeve, and put it alongside the record sleeve in the plastic sleeve. this prevents seem splits. i dont know if its much of a concern for 7"s.

when you ship lps, always take the lp and dustsleeve out of the actual record sleeve, and put it alongside the record sleeve in the plastic sleeve. this prevents seem splits. i dont know if its much of a concern for 7"s.

I never knew about this

but will start shipping stuff that way.

thanks for the tip.

I have stacks of old lp mailers and 7" mailers from orders I have bought that I reuse. As far as cost effective, sometimes first class is cheaper than media mail, so just make you say "whatever is cheapest" instead of asking for media mail. And also, if when you get to the point where you are sending some recs overseas, media mail is expensive

Honestly, if you're sending a lot of shit, just buy a postal scale from USPS and use paypal to ship. It'll make your life so much easier.

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductCategoryDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=11823&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=11820&top_category=11820

I have the 10 lb. one. It's great. $40 investment and you never have to stand in line at the post office again (except when you have international packages, unfortunately). You can just weigh the shit and ship it through paypal. Plus, you get delivery confirmation for only $.18 (it is required, however).

7"s - always send first class unless you're sending more than one, then media is probably cheaper.

12"s - always use a mailer. All the other stuff is just gravy. If you take it out of the jacket that is nice, as are inserts, padding, etc. but as long as it's in there nice and tight you should be fine.