what to do about people that like shitty music?

I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone has different tastes and enjoys music for different reasons. Just be thankful that they have some kind of music in their lives that they enjoy and be done with it. You can't change people's tastes and trying to makes you come off like a pompus jerk. Just because someone likes something you don't doesn't make it "shitty." On the flip side, those same friends, coworkers, etc...could be asking the same question about you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people, get this, just don't really care about music enough to dig deeper than what they hear and like, which is why you get ipods full of radio singles and they're content. They just need something to entertain them for 30 minutes while they're on the treadmill at the gym or something.

That said, I've greatly influenced a lot of my friends simply by playing my music. After a while, a bunch of them started asking me for straight up suggestions, and I'd take what I knew about their musical tastes and give them something that was slightly similar but different enough that it expanded their tastes. A lot of them find shit I didn't know about and send me stuff now, so it's really cool.

This does baffle me though. There's those kids in your college or you know/work with that have a smaller Ipod nano or something with only a few gigs. Their musical library features singles that were big in middle school and the latest rap singles. You may come across an occasional band on their Ipod that looks like, "hey, not too shabby," and it turns out to be one of their most popular tracks and that is it.

Don't these people get sick of this stuff? It's like they haven't really modified their musical library. Ever.

Some people are just not "into" music so they listen to whatever reminds them of happy times and nothing more. I guess that's what a lot of people do except us gormandizers constantly look for new music and make new musically-related fun times by seeing new bands at shows and such. I'm sure there car people who can't believe you don't change your own oil or computer people who can't believe you use Mac/Linux/Windows because their computer operating system is just so killer.

People are entitled to like whatever music they want.

Even if it's my girlfriend and she makes me listen to kate bush and laurie anderson in the car

Hey, Kate Bush is awesome.

People with limited music taste don't bother me as much as people who claim to be really into music because they like The Beatles or Pink Floyd. You're not into music, if you were your second favorite band wouldn't be Staind/Trapt/Nickelback/Creed. Bonus points for being completely oblivious to the messages in the music which are completely contradictory to your views and lifestyle. Second place goes to those who say they like "anything except country". I want to tie them down and make them listen to Converge and Danielson Famile until they admit they just like what is on the radio and what their friends like. Again, not a bad thing. I just wish people were aware of their hypocrisy.

People are entitled to like whatever music they want.

Even if it's my girlfriend and she makes me listen to kate bush and laurie anderson in the car

People with limited music taste don't bother me as much as people who claim to be really into music because they like The Beatles or Pink Floyd. You're not into music, if you were your second favorite band wouldn't be Staind/Trapt/Nickelback/Creed. Bonus points for being completely oblivious to the messages in the music which are completely contradictory to your views and lifestyle. Second place goes to those who say they like "anything except country". I want to tie them down and make them listen to Converge and Danielson Famile until they admit they just like what is on the radio and what their friends like. Again, not a bad thing. I just wish people were aware of their hypocrisy.

I disagree. People can be really into music and like the Beatles and Pink Floyd. Maybe they have CDs/vinyl of everything those bands put out, including live bootlegs and such. Pink Floyd is actually a great band for true music lovers because their style changed so frequently and they did things way before others. Dark Side Of The Moon was 1973 for God's sake. And people's second favorite band can be Creed or any of those. I don't like them, but someone might. Someone may like those bands a lot because they helped them through a tough time, or bring back happy memories, etc...Stop hating on people if they don't enjoy the exact same stuff as you. If everyone loved Converge, or Screeching Weasel, or Brand New, or any one band the world would be a boring place.

While it's tough to be fair when it comes to opinion, there are some bands, like Creed, where you just have to question someone's intelligence when they say they like them. So, yes, it's fair that certain bands that many of us would consider crappy can have some positive impact on other people, sometimes you have to question why they were listening to them in the first place.

I disagree. People can be really into music and like the Beatles and Pink Floyd. Maybe they have CDs/vinyl of everything those bands put out, including live bootlegs and such. Pink Floyd is actually a great band for true music lovers because their style changed so frequently and they did things way before others. Dark Side Of The Moon was 1973 for God's sake. And people's second favorite band can be Creed or any of those. I don't like them, but someone might. Someone may like those bands a lot because they helped them through a tough time, or bring back happy memories, etc...Stop hating on people if they don't enjoy the exact same stuff as you. If everyone loved Converge, or Screeching Weasel, or Brand New, or any one band the world would be a boring place.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say any of that. I think Pink Floyd is great, and there are certainly people who are into music whose favorite band is Floyd or one of the other huge rock groups. I was more referring to a specific kind of person, usually male, usually in college, who has Pink Floyd/Beatles/Zeppelin posters, owns their greatest hits, claims to be their #1 fan 4 lyfe, and otherwise listens to top 40 almost exclusively. This was about half my dorm floor last year and it bugged the shit out of me. I certainly hope not everyone has the same music taste as me, that would make it a lot less fun.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say any of that. I think Pink Floyd is great, and there are certainly people who are into music whose favorite band is Floyd or one of the other huge rock groups. I was more referring to a specific kind of person, usually male, usually in college, who has Pink Floyd/Beatles/Zeppelin posters, owns their greatest hits, claims to be their #1 fan 4 lyfe, and otherwise listens to top 40 almost exclusively. This was about half my dorm floor last year and it bugged the shit out of me. I certainly hope not everyone has the same music taste as me, that would make it a lot less fun.

I still say your point about people who like "everything but country" is totally legit. That's just silly. It means you have no opinion.

Liking everything = liking nothing.

I still say your point about people who like "everything but country" is totally legit. That's just silly. It means you have no opinion.

I've noticed the new things is that people say they "like everything, even country." Big and Rich shouldn't count as country though!

I used to try showing people new music, but I'm really bad at it.I would think, well, their not into heavy music so I'll show them Danielson and then I just get shutdown. I've been banned from countless CD players, radios and stereos. Now I just look forward to being at home by myself so that I can listen to the music I want to listen to.

I've noticed the new things is that people say they "like everything, even country." Big and Rich shouldn't count as country though!

I had to deal with people like that so much that I stopped trying to play my music or show people stuff, unless they ask me. Now I just look forward to being at home by myself so that I can listen to the music I want to listen to.

I honestly can say I hate it when people think because they listen to top 40 or what have you, they have the right to blare that shit as load as they want.

I honestly can say I hate it when people think because they listen to top 40 or what have you, they have the right to blare that shit as load as they want.

Oh, man. I've been living in the UK and some people here love to listen to techno music, especially stuff that they and their friends have created. Then they love to get on the bus or train or something and crank it up really loud and talk over it. It's so obnoxious!!

I have a close friend who loves radio pop...his favorite artist is Britney Spears...HORRIBLE taste in music, yet he likes to say my taste in music is bad because "no one has ever heard of most of the stuff I listen to." I don't care if he likes his shit...I just don't like it when I have to endure it and I sure as hell don't like it when he has the tenacity to say my taste is bad. I try telling him that just because an album doesn't go platinum doesn't mean it isn't good. If he's happy listening to his shit I'm happy as long as I don't have to listen to it with him.

But I still couldn't help but vomiting in my mouth when he was trying to encourage me to listen to Metro Station. That's just unacceptable...especially if you have a penis.

Guest genericinsight

Reminds me of kids in high school who would say "I like everything" and by "everything" they really meant "rap, reggae and alternative rock" as if those were the only types of music out there. ::)

Guest genericinsight
I wonder if Flicker has ever actually listened to Gaslight Anthem or if their popularity automatically meant they sucked.

Something tells me even if he hasn't listened to them, he just likes to say they suck to get a rise out of all the people here that like them.

you guys are weird, and changing the topic slightly. i don't think anything i said was elitist. to me, music is probably one of the most important things in my life. so when people listen to certain popular bands, it annoys me to know that another band did that better 5 years ago and doesn't get any credit. and so then i try to show these kids other bands they wouldn't ordinarily know in order to try to open their eyes. trying to help someone find new music isn't elitist.

not saying my music is superior to everyone else's, just saying some music that other people listen to i consider shitty. i'm sure you guys would think the same

I wonder if Flicker has ever actually listened to Gaslight Anthem or if their popularity automatically meant they sucked.

no, i've listened to two Gaslight Anthem albums. '59 sound and the one before (dont know the name). They are both completely forgettable. I listen to quite a few bands that are popular. I still really really like the Hold Steady (although the new album had a couple misfires).

I listen to just about everything that comes my way. Albeit i dont always listen to full albums, sometimes i just check out myspace. But i can usually tell from that if a band is solid and worth digging deeper, or not.

you guys are weird, and changing the topic slightly. i don't think anything i said was elitist. to me, music is probably one of the most important things in my life. so when people listen to certain popular bands, it annoys me to know that another band did that better 5 years ago and doesn't get any credit. and so then i try to show these kids other bands they wouldn't ordinarily know in order to try to open their eyes. trying to help someone find new music isn't elitist.

not saying my music is superior to everyone else's, just saying some music that other people listen to i consider shitty. i'm sure you guys would think the same

now, lets play a game.

imagine me saying this exact thing.

and i have said things close to this and, guess what, i got called elitist.

the point is,

everyone thinks they listen to the best music.

but you dont.