pleasant surprises

andrews

So, a while ago I came across a poorly listed auction for Fucked Up - Looking for gold. I decided to watch it and thought if I could grab it for a decent price I could use it as trade bait since I already have a copy. Anyways, I ended up winning it for $35, which is pretty good since I haven't seen it below $65 in a while. Anyways, it shows up today, and to my surprise it is actually the much rarer version with stamped labels, which wasn't mentioned in the auction. Rumour has it that they hand stamped copies as they sold them at the first few shows of an American tour right when this came out. This version usually fetches upwards of $110 or more. Anyways, this was the last variant (other than tests) as far as LPs go that I needed for my Fucked Up collection. Pretty stoked to get this for such a good price.

[image]

Anyone ever have something similar happen to them?

If it was the only variant you needed, is there a reason you didn't e-mail the seller to find out if it was the stamped version? I know I would have. I realize you run the risk of the seller editing the auction to include the info and therefore drive up the price, but I'd think it'd be worth a shot. Just curious.

If it was the only variant you needed, is there a reason you didn't e-mail the seller to find out if it was the stamped version? I know I would have. I realize you run the risk of the seller editing the auction to include the info and therefore drive up the price, but I'd think it'd be worth a shot. Just curious.

He didn't buy it with intentions of completing his collection, just to get a good deal. He assumed the seller would be knowledgable enough to mention the stamping if it was stamped. (My guess)

that rules! i'm happy that you finally got your hands on this. miss you homeslice.

Thanks man, we'll hang out soon.

Is it just me, or does that vinyl in the pic look all cracked?

Sorry for the shitty pic. The vinyl is in perfect shape. You're either seeing my reflection or light reflecting.

He didn't buy it with intentions of completing his collection, just to get a good deal. He assumed the seller would be knowledgable enough to mention the stamping if it was stamped. (My guess)

Bingo.

thats awesome man. for all the times people get fucked by ebay it is nice to hear about shit like this.

my only similar thing was when i got my arcade fire laika 12" promo vinyl. i was just on the rough trade website looking for some sort of discog or pressing info on their arcade fire releases and saw this and that they had just put up the last few copies. i got it for pretty cheap too, even with shipping from the u.k

I kind of have a similar surprise somewhat recently.

About 2 weeks ago I was going through a stack of 7"s that I'd bought a year ago in another city, boxed them up for the trip home, and apparently misplaced the box cause I had no what was in the box when I found it in the back of my closet. Inside was a Decemberists Billy Liar 7" with a $2.50 sticker, figured it was black, but pulled it out and it's white. According to deadformat.net it's a first pressing of /200, and I am pretty sure I've seen the 2nd press on red go for around $30 in the past. Kind of a whoa weird moment.

I ordered the bridge and tunnel s/t 7" from no idea and after about a month still nothing in the mail, I shoot an email and they say it's been out of stock and they were waiting on it and that it would go out asap. Well a week later it shows up and it's a first press on grey. That was a nice little surprise.

i ordered the re-pressing of "my love my way" by modern life is war, and they had a raffle for a limited re-pressing of their 7-in to celebrate the re-release, and lo and behold, i won one. i'm pretty sure it's the most limited piece of MLIW vinyl, and since i'm a huge fan(actually just got lyrics from "a tale of two cities" tattooed on my shoulder), i was super excited.

super pleasant surprise.

fucked up rules too.

I Bought Black Flag - 'Damaged' for 10 euros .

Along with the SST logo it had a Unicorn logo and a sticker on the back saying "As a parent... I found it an anti-parent record"...

I loooked it up on Wikipedia, read the story, found out it was a first press (not very rare, /25000)

then went to Popsike and saw that it went for around $50 (or more)....