How does GZ make the Splatter and Swirls???

ihprstl

Since it has been stated that Rainbow can’t do the color mixes very well, my questions his, how does GZ make the splatter colors and inside out colors? Is it different equipment all together or is it how the vinyl is mixed or something?

Sorry if this has been answered before. I did a search but couldn't find an answer.

ive not seen how gz does swirls but i have gotten to see how bill smith does his custom swirls and such. basically the different color vinyl pellets are put in the extruder and mix and create the patty. once it goes down its pressed from the metal plates and the edges are cut. all of them end up looking pretty different.

gz arent the only one who can do those inside out/splatters. both bill smith and erika or shit i think even united can do that stuff. erika had been doing this stuff for a long time before the big GZ boom

I figured they weren't the only one's who could do it. They just seem to be the most popular right now for it and I can't think of anything recently that has splatter that hasn't come from GZ.

Does anyone have any pictures or examples of splatter/inside out that were not done at GZ?

I figured they weren't the only one's who could do it. They just seem to be the most popular right now for it and I can't think of anything recently that has splatter that hasn't come from GZ.

Does anyone have any pictures or examples of splatter/inside out that were not done at GZ?

I think they got so popular because of their pricing being in the Czech Republic.

I think they got so popular because of their pricing being in the Czech Republic.

That still amazes me that you can throw in a middle man like Pirates Press, get an exotic color design and add in the international shipping and it still ends up cheaper than some places in the US.

That still amazes me that you can throw in a middle man like Pirates Press, get an exotic color design and add in the international shipping and it still ends up cheaper than some places in the US.

that may not be the case anymore. those freight charges can be killer. despite the euro cooling down a little bit lately thats still going to be a factor in gz raising prices to fit the exchange properly.

i just think it takes out a lot of the "fun" having someone else do all the work for you when using a broker like pirates.

Believe it or not, for most splatter vinyl at GZ, a guy stands at one end of the machine and simply splatters it by hand, using whatever color pellets you choose.

A lot of GZ splatter if you notice, the splatter will be very similar from record to record, but with slight differences in the direction of the splatter etc.

For the haze color, like the one pictured on the first page, it is just them not cleaning out the machine after the previous pressing. They wait till the color you are looking for, for your haze, and run your records through with the remnants of the previous pressing.

It's like a fine sawdust, they limit the haze to a max of 200, because after that the dust remnants start run out.

Also the haze, usually has a slightly inferior sound quality as opposed to splatter or any other colors.

GZ is fucking awesome if you have the money!, For a really decent, pressing of 1000 with 3-4 different colors, 300 gram jackets, 3mm spine with inserts, it will set you back a little over 5000 nowdays.

If you go with 1000 of one color it will be around 4000. The shipping kills it. It runs almost 1000 bucks, for 1000 records.

Example, the first Crux s/t pressing was done there 4 colors, with the upgraded jackets and spines and it came to around 4400 with shipping, this was back in Jan, if not a tad earlier, the repress was obviously a bit cheaper, but still not by much.

It seems GZ is awesome for 1 time pressings, represses are not a substantial cost savings at all.

That said, I love Rainbo!, a ton of the old school mid -late 80'/early 90's punk rock was done there. And we are using them with our next record as well.