Of chicks and relationships

Guest genericinsight
Attn : tanukkahchu and generictofurkeysite - If a guy is a friend of yours, he's probably interested at least a little. As a guy, I've never spent any real amount of time with a girl who I wasn't slightly interested in.

Tell that to all the male friends of mine with girlfriends.

Also, I've asked a number of them and they all give me the "Oh, well I would like you but..." and then give a thousand reasons why they can't/won't date me but will still be my friend. I love men.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, i'm 35 and i haven't had a decent relationship in 4 years. I have not even dated anyone in that time. Part of me wants to start again, but the other part doesnt. Im in a bit of a quagmire. It's kinda hard finding someone my age.. ugh... oh well. ther'es always prostitutes (jk)

This is me also...but 33...

Attn : tanukkahchu and generictofurkeysite - If a guy is a friend of yours, he's probably interested at least a little. As a guy, I've never spent any real amount of time with a girl who I wasn't slightly interested in.

Also, I've asked a number of them and they all give me the "Oh, well I would like you but..." and then give a thousand reasons why they can't/won't date me but will still be my friend. I love men.

Flickersicles may be on to something. Any wise woman does not allow their boyfriends to have girls that are friends for that reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuUhwFXM6Gg

Guest genericinsight

Flickersicles may be on to something. Any wise woman does not allow their boyfriends to have girls that are friends for that reason.

I could debate this forever, but I won't.

Honestly, I think if the dude is SERIOUSLY interested in me, he'd do something about it. Usually they end up getting girlfriends so it's not like they're socially awkward around women. I just take as they're okay being friends but there's no physical attraction so therefore they won't date me. Doesn't offend me.

Maybe they don't see you as available or accessible. Or maybe you have 11 fingers or something. Or maybe you're confused.

Guest genericinsight

Maybe they don't see you as available or accessible.

I sometimes wonder about this. People tell me constantly that dudes are interested and I just don't know, usually cause they never say anything. It's sort of a lost cause by now.

xxmartinxx - You really just don't have any female friends? Is it that important to be interested in romantically/sexually for everyone you want to hang out with? As many female friends as I have, I couldn't have simply just girls as friends. As much as men irritate me sometimes and as hard as it is for me to even just be friends with one, I'm still grateful for the good ones I've found.

Sounds to me like you're kind of a lonely dude if you feel you HAVE to be interested in every girl you meet. No offense or anything.

Plus I think if a girl seriously does not let her boyfriend hang out with any girl besides her, there's some trust/jealousy issues going on there.

I sometimes wonder about this. People tell me constantly that dudes are interested and I just don't know, usually cause they never say anything. It's sort of a lost cause by now.

Maybe they're just too shy and awkward to put themselves out there. Rejection is scary and painful shit.

I've only ever expressed interest in two girls in my life and in both instances I was shot down in the harshest of ways. One of the two times was even after my case was pleaded by Bill Stevenson. When a punk girl rejects you after long and adamant recommendation from a member of the Descendents and Black Flag, you pretty much wish the world would cease to exist.

After that I refused to ever admit to a girl that I liked her. Somehow I managed to have relationships, but not necessarily the ones I wanted.

I don't know what the moral of this story is. Maybe that dating sucks. Maybe that the only way to truly fail is to never try. Maybe that Bill Stevenson is not a good wingman. I dunno.

xxmartinxx - You really just don't have any female friends? Is it that important to be interested in romantically/sexually for everyone you want to hang out with? As many female friends as I have, I couldn't have simply just girls as friends. As much as men irritate me sometimes and as hard as it is for me to even just be friends with one, I'm still grateful for the good ones I've found.

Sounds to me like you're kind of a lonely dude if you feel you HAVE to be interested in every girl you meet. No offense or anything.

Plus I think if a girl seriously does not let her boyfriend hang out with any girl besides her, there's some trust/jealousy issues going on there.

actually, its just that half of the time with girl friends(at least in my case) it's:

Good convo, good convo, good convo, wonder what she looks like naked...is she flexible? Is she prude? is she a freak? good convo, good convo, good convo, I wonder if she is attracted to me, would she do me? would it be a one night stand or a friends with benefits? would we be good together? good convo, good convo, good convo....

and so on and so on. I have plenty of girl friends, but for the most part, I still wonder what they look like naked.

Guest genericinsight

From what I've had the guys who are confident enough to ask me out usually end up being the weird/creepy/scummy types that don't make me feel comfortable. I'm a pretty good judge of character I think. I can tell when a guy is an asshole and is only after one thing or is a creep.

Seriously, do all the really nice guys lack confidence?

(sidenote, whenever I ask someone out I get shot down, usually with a "oh uh I'm seeing someone" or they ignore me completely from then on. I've been friendly to dudes and the second I show interest they freak out and I never hear from them again. Only one guy I've ever had any interest in and showed it has replied with 'I'm sorry but I'm not into you like that' and we're still friends).

Well, I'm married now, so I don't have any friends anymore. haha... I never said I was interested in every girl I met, but the girls I hung out with I was generally interested in.

Here's the thing with the jealousy thing... can you honestly tell me that you're not interested in having a relationship with ANY of the guys that you're friends with that have girlfriends?

^^^ this.

i have actually a lot of friends. and yeah, i know, "if you have to say it, it's not true"... but of all the girls i would consider myself friends with, there isn't a single one that i wouldn't at least date if the opportunity arose. i'm not saying i WANT to pursue anything with all of them, or with any of them at the moment, but i think it's safe to say that a lot of guys try to surround themselves with girls they want to spend time with.

if there is a girl who is in our group of friends, or who i have a few classes with that i don't really find any redeeming dating qualities in, i kind of phase her out of my life. it's not something i consciously do, but i've spent a lot of time thinking about things like this and realizes it just happens. i'm sure, subconsciously, i'm thinking "if you couldn't stand to be around them all the time, why be around them at all?" like, why waste your time if it's not going anywhere, even though most "friends" scenarios don't ever really go anywhere?

sounds harsh, but i think if you asked most guys honestly, you'd get some variation of this.

Guest genericinsight

Well, I'm married now, so I don't have any friends anymore. haha... I never said I was interested in every girl I met, but the girls I hung out with I was generally interested in.

Here's the thing with the jealousy thing... can you honestly tell me that you're not interested in having a relationship with ANY of the guys that you're friends with that have girlfriends?

For a few of them, honestly? No. One I would be but he only exclusively dates a type of girl that I'm not (don't know why but I don't ask either). There have been a number of guys I was interested in or semi-interested in but lost interest as time went on, particularly if nothing happened. But a bunch of them I liked enough as people regardless so I stayed friends with them. Makes things a lot easier too.

And if they have girlfriends I would never, EVER try and make them cheat on said girls. I've been cheated on in the past and I know how it feels.

All this talk sorta makes me feel better. Guy I'm currently interested in isn't my friend. We are just on friendly terms since we've only known each other for a few weeks. But he always seems to initiate conversation with me first like "how'd you do on the exam?" or even just "how's it going?" so it makes me wonder if he's just nice or he's actually interested in me too. Judging from what you guys are saying it makes me feel more like there's a chance it could be the latter.

I'm skeptical that he could ever be interested in me because most of the dudes who outwardly show interest in me are complete creeps.

^^^ this.

i have actually a lot of friends. and yeah, i know, "if you have to say it, it's not true"... but of all the girls i would consider myself friends with, there isn't a single one that i wouldn't at least date if the opportunity arose. i'm not saying i WANT to pursue anything with all of them, or with any of them at the moment, but i think it's safe to say that a lot of guys try to surround themselves with girls they want to spend time with.

if there is a girl who is in our group of friends, or who i have a few classes with that i don't really find any redeeming dating qualities in, i kind of phase her out of my life. it's not something i consciously do, but i've spent a lot of time thinking about things like this and realizes it just happens. i'm sure, subconsciously, i'm thinking "if you couldn't stand to be around them all the time, why be around them at all?" like, why waste your time if it's not going anywhere, even though most "friends" scenarios don't ever really go anywhere?

sounds harsh, but i think if you asked most guys honestly, you'd get some variation of this.

I agree. In those cases, if you have a friendship, it's either one where you don't hang out (ie - text or email), or one that's one sided on their part (ie - they call you, they want to hang out with you, etc).

All this talk sorta makes me feel better. Guy I'm currently interested in isn't my friend. We are just on friendly terms since we've only known each other for a few weeks. But he always seems to initiate conversation with me first like "how'd you do on the exam?" or even just "how's it going?" so it makes me wonder if he's just nice or he's actually interested in me too. Judging from what you guys are saying it makes me feel more like there's a chance it could be the latter.

I'm skeptical that he could ever be interested in me because most of the dudes who outwardly show interest in me are complete creeps.

Does he progress the conversation beyond that? If not, he's probably just making small talk. If he's interested, he'll go out of his way to continue to talk to you.

being 28 and single is garbage. just garbage. i don't even want kids or a marriage. i just want someone to help me with bills, share my ice cream with and sleep with me on the couch on a saturday afternoon. i'll even overlook the sex thing. we dont even have to do it. i've met like 4 people in my entire life that i've had a connection with. this is a scary stat, as mathematically i'm looking at finding my next girlfriend somewhere around 32.