your turntable

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest b0dybag

Technics SL-22 great turntable, one downside is that the power converter is humming, anyone else with a Technics have the same issue? I read that a rubber sheet under it would make a difference.

Which tonearm is on your Scout martin?

Whatever came on it (JMW-9 I believe).

Have you thought about upgrading? I listened to a Scout with the SME V arm, and man was it sweet. In my opinion, much more musical than the JMW. Just a thought as the Scout is such a great platform for mods.

BTW - which EICO model is your amp? Just read a very interesting write up about an EICO and my interest is piqued!

Thorens TD166 Mk2 - classic early 80's table. So heavy-duty, you could kill somebody with the 20 pound platter!!! Best sound out there - when I have my receiver on ProLogic2, you can hear all details coming out of 7 separate speakers, like you're in front of the band. The same album on cd sounds like a jumbled mess. I also have a Technics SL1200 - which is very good, and a cheap $100 Gemini XL100- which is terrible compared to the others, but for the price, it's decent.

Whatever came on it (JMW-9 I believe).

Have you thought about upgrading? I listened to a Scout with the SME V arm, and man was it sweet. In my opinion, much more musical than the JMW. Just a thought as the Scout is such a great platform for mods.

BTW - which EICO model is your amp? Just read a very interesting write up about an EICO and my interest is piqued!

I'm so happy with the sound I have, I haven't really considered any of the upgrades out there. Knowing that the table is pretty sterile sounding to begin with I've always put more warm, lively cartridges on it. I'll have to look into that, though.

I have an EICO ST40 integrated amp. I went over it with a fine tooth comb making sure that all the resisters were within spec when I got it. I also did a "Loudness" mod that was on the internet and replaced all the capacitors. I've considered upgrading it from time to time over the years, but it sounds so good I never do.

burnthesun - you'll get way better sound if you get those components off of each other. The resonances and electromagnetic interference is definitely going to effect the playback of the turntable. I'd recommend a wall shelf, like the one Target (no not that Target) makes - or get a thick (2" or more) butcher block and put it up on cones or spikes. You'll definitely notice an improvement.

burnthesun - you'll get way better sound if you get those components off of each other. The resonances and electromagnetic interference is definitely going to effect the playback of the turntable. I'd recommend a wall shelf, like the one Target (no not that Target) makes - or get a thick (2" or more) butcher block and put it up on cones or spikes. You'll definitely notice an improvement.

Interesting...thanks for advice!

Perhaps a stupid question but since people are talking a lot about resonance and isolating turntables I might as well ask. I don't know what they're called in english, but would putting these on the "feet" of the turntable be a good idea? I have the turntable placed on top of an IKEA expedit. No mat or anything underneath it. Lemme know.

These are "sticky":

[image]

Thanks!

Christer - they will do nothing for you.

Better to raise the turntable by putting something underneath it to isolate it from the Expedit…

Do the innertube trick (hich I can't seem to find a picture of right now..

You take an inner tube (bicycle) inflate it about 65%, put a platform on that (could be solid wood, MDF, butcher block, etc) and then inflate more or let air out depending on the weight of the tt. Oh - right, you should put a straw under the innertube (btwn the Expedit and the tube) so that you are not creating a resonant air chamber in the middle of the tube. this method really fucking works - kills all direction of vibration, horiz and vert.

[image]

(Mine has a black surround, not the silver pictured here)

Matt, what other equipment are you using? I love that p7.

Josh - I am running a Benz Micro Glider M2 cart, Pro-Ject Tube Box SE II, Cambridge Audio 640A v.2, NAD 613 (3 head) cassette deck and Rega R7's. Interconnects are AudioQuest, speaker cable is Analysis Plus Oval Clear (for standard wiring) or Apature 10g (for bi-wiring). This year I am planning on moving up to a Rega amplifier - I love the Rega house sound and you are rewarded incredibly when you go all Rega. I'm close with the source and speakers - just need that sweet British amp sound!

I'll post a photo in the "set-up" thread…

Christer - they will do nothing for you.

Better to raise the turntable by putting something underneath it to isolate it from the Expedit…

Do the innertube trick (hich I can't seem to find a picture of right now..

You take an inner tube (bicycle) inflate it about 65%, put a platform on that (could be solid wood, MDF, butcher block, etc) and then inflate more or let air out depending on the weight of the tt. Oh - right, you should put a straw under the innertube (btwn the Expedit and the tube) so that you are not creating a resonant air chamber in the middle of the tube. this method really fucking works - kills all direction of vibration, horiz and vert.

Thanks for answering but that sounds like too much hassle. After all, I don't have any complaints about my sound. I was just checking too see if that would be a good thing to do. Thanks Mattstrike.