Changing my diet...

thomas

I think I really need to change my diet, but really don't know the best way to start. I have IBS, and noticed it was not so bad when I was in high school because I never ate fast food or really anything fatty. At the end of HS I started to eat fast food again and that was the downfall of my good diet.

The last few years I've had horrible stomach pain on and off for months on end sometimes. I think that if I am able to change my diet I can start feeling much better, and maybe it'll even help my other problems. My main concern is that I don't know anything about cooking or what kind of healthy diet I should start. Does anyone have any suggestions on good sites or good cook books I should look at to learn to cook? I don't like Italian food, and the only meat I like is beef or chicken. I'm also looking to stop drinking soda to help cut out the sugar since I think that messes with digestion, so does anyone who quit drinking pop have suggestions on what I should start drinking to ease my love of it? I do like tea a lot, and try to drink it a lot and am looking into herbal tea, but other then that I don't like drinking water or milk if i don't have it.

Any other help or suggestions would be amazing, and thanks a ton for the help.

This summer I cut out soft drinks completely this summer and I used to drink so many. It's not that hard honestly, I just drink alot of water or juice, although juice has alot of sugar too. I cut a lot of stuff out of my diet too and started working out alot. I live off of baked or grilled chicken, steaks, broccoli, and baked potatoes. I was doing it to lose weight though but it paid off huge. I still don't eat much fast food and I don't even want to drink soft drinks anymore. Once you cut it out and get used to it, it's not that hard to live without it. Also cooking healthy food for yourself is really easy.

Guest smccown13

I just call mine a "common sense" diet. I stay away from fast food and pretty much anything white (sugar, flour, potatoes, etc). That part is actually pretty difficult, I love me some rice. Whole wheat stuff is amazing. Coke zero is really good too. I also drink water and that powerade zero. I can't really cook up anything fancy, but I still stay within my limits.

coke zero ftw

have a few of these a week, im not a big soda drinker at all (except with whiskey) and my diet is pretty good, don't think i've eaten real fast food in a couple of years at least. Beef stir fry is fucking great, this chef has a really good recipe that i did the other day...

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/jamie-oliver/sizzling-beef-with-spring-onion-sauce_p_1.html

I cut out sodas a couple years ago, and recenty gave up red meat. With that, I gave up fast food, as the hicken is generally sub par. Not working in a mall anymore made that much easier. I don't drink much juice, since it's hard to find actual juice. I've never liked cake/candy/sweets, so that works to my benefit beautifully.

Taking it one big step at a time seems to be working for me.

I have IBS too, and I've cut out wheat, dairy and sugar and seen an amazing change in my symptoms. It's hard, but I had to think about eating food that was making me feel shitty or feeling better. I also do acupuncture, which has helped tremendously.

Chicken is way easy to cook, just bake it in the over with herbs and olive oil. I eat salads alot, steamed veggies, rice. There are alot of wheat free items to replace the wheat stuff that you love.

Guest conoley

There is an amazing series of cookbooks called Loony Spoons, Eat Shrink and be Merry and Crazy Plates.

They make really good food that is healthy and delicious.

I have recently cut soda out of my diet as well. I drink flavored seltzer water all the time now. It has the pleasant fizziness of soda and the flavor is the right amount of sweet. Its kept me soda free for a month now. I also drink a lot of juice either orange or cranberry. Just check the nutrition facts to make sure you're not drinking juices that are pure sugar. Drink tea instead of coffee. Its easier on digestion.

As for food I'm veg so it cuts out a lot of fast food by default. Stay away from fried stuff as much as possible. Plenty of fresh frits and veggies (instead of canned or frozen which can have lots of preservatives) will do you wonders. Fiber will help your digestive system as well. Dairy should be consumed with discretion. If I eat too much dairy I get really sick. Regular milk makes me sick too. I sub milk for soy (silk has awesome flavors) and I make sure I don't eat too much other dairy and I'm ok.

I've thought quite a few times about cutting out pop, but it's so much a staple in my life that I don't think I can do it. I joked with my roommate one time about how since she's dealing with quitting alcohol, I'll tough it out with her and quit pop, but that didn't happen. I'm pathetic.

If she agreed to it, would you?

I've thought quite a few times about cutting out pop, but it's so much a staple in my life that I don't think I can do it. I joked with my roommate one time about how since she's dealing with quitting alcohol, I'll tough it out with her and quit pop, but that didn't happen. I'm pathetic.

If she agreed to it, would you?

Aw man, I dunno. I think I would feel guilty and have to try, but I would slip up like crazy. At home I could cut out out easy because I don't shop ever, so it just wouldn't be here, but at work we get free pop, and during tiring days at school I always get a Pepsi since I don't drink coffee. I could probably do it if I really tried, but it would honestly be a battle for me.

I have IBS too, and I've cut out wheat, dairy and sugar and seen an amazing change in my symptoms. It's hard, but I had to think about eating food that was making me feel shitty or feeling better. I also do acupuncture, which has helped tremendously.

Chicken is way easy to cook, just bake it in the over with herbs and olive oil. I eat salads alot, steamed veggies, rice. There are alot of wheat free items to replace the wheat stuff that you love.

I've thought of trying acupuncture for my anxiety, but have yet to follow through on it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think my biggest problem will be work. At work all we ever get for dinner is fast food or some other unhealthy food. I also tend to drink a ton of pop at work since it is there.

This is why you pack your meal. I used to eat a shit ton of taco bell and pizza when I worked in the train station where that's all that was close by. I started packing my lunch, bringing my own water bottle from home, etc. Less temptation especially since you took the time to bring all that. If your job doesn't have a fridge, buy some ice packs and it should stay good till your break.

Now that I'm at the other store I live close enough where I can just go home and eat so I don't even need to pack. I pack some days when I have class, but for the most part it's easier for me to buy a bottle of water and something healthier than fast food at school.

Guest xsteponmex
This is why you pack your meal. I used to eat a shit ton of taco bell and pizza when I worked in the train station where that's all that was close by. I started packing my lunch, bringing my own water bottle from home, etc. Less temptation especially since you took the time to bring all that. If your job doesn't have a fridge, buy some ice packs and it should stay good till your break.

Now that I'm at the other store I live close enough where I can just go home and eat so I don't even need to pack. I pack some days when I have class, but for the most part it's easier for me to buy a bottle of water and something healthier than fast food at school.

seriously i started packing a lunch and not only did i lose so much weight and got healthier i saved a ton of money. win/win