Starting a new diet today.

thomas

I've decided that I want to eat healthier since both sides of my family have history of heart problems, and my mom has high blood pressure and my dad has high cholesterol. I have decided to cut out all red meat, which means I'll pretty much only be eating chicken since I don't like pork. Next is cut any and all fast food. I'm also going to try to ween myself off pop. I drink so much of it a day if I just quit I'll miss it way too much and probably go back. I would switch to diet, but I'm not a big fan of all the chemicals in any pop. Finally, which should have been a no brainer, no eating after midnight.

I'm hoping that if I can stick to this I'll start to feel better and have more energy. I'm also hoping that I'll lose some of the extra weight I put on since I started having anxiety problems, but that is not really the main goal. It looks like I also have to learn to cook, so this should be an interesting few weeks while I adjust to this. Anyone else trying to change their life styles for the new year?

also, i gained weight when i went to college, and when i cut soda out of my diet, drank water or juice instead, and was doing steps up to a third floor apt instead of using the elevator every day, i lost 15 lbs.

drinking empty calories = bad

so if you cut that out it will help a lot! :]

Guest baseball

The only determinant in whether you gain or lose weight is if you eat less or more calories than you burn. Saying not to eat after a certain time is arbitrary.

3500 calories = 1 pound. Burn 3500 more than you eat, you lose a pound. Eat 3500 more than you burn, you gain a pound.

As for the diet, most people's downfalls tend to be sugar and other simple carbohydrates of the sort. I wouldn't stress too much on meat as long as the majority of what you're eating is chicken, turkey, fish and the like. Real lean beef, 97% or so, isn't going to hurt you either if you don't eat a ton of it.

Switching to complex carbohydrates will make a big difference. Whole wheat bread, brown rice, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, fruits, and vegetables. Most of those have very low glycemic indexes (not sure about fruit, but there's other benefits in that).

Cut out snack foods like chips and pretzels and stuff. Replace it with almonds or natural peanut butter. That will curb your appetite with something healthy.

Just my suggestions. Once upon a time I had a similar revelation and lost 50 pounds in 6 months.

i don't eat after midnight, and i stopped eating heavy lunches, normally something light like eggs, or yogurt or fruit. and a big dinner.

i still eat fast food usually once maybe twice a week, but i drink alot of soda.

i don't have a lot of energy in the morning but during the day, i don't feel tired. just hungry.

and i love 30 rock.

The only determinant in whether you gain or lose weight is if you eat less or more calories than you burn. Saying not to eat after a certain time is arbitrary.

3500 calories = 1 pound. Burn 3500 more than you eat, you lose a pound. Eat 3500 more than you burn, you gain a pound.

As for the diet, most people's downfalls tend to be sugar and other simple carbohydrates of the sort. I wouldn't stress too much on meat as long as the majority of what you're eating is chicken, turkey, fish and the like. Real lean beef, 97% or so, isn't going to hurt you either if you don't eat a ton of it.

Switching to complex carbohydrates will make a big difference. Whole wheat bread, brown rice, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, fruits, and vegetables. Most of those have very low glycemic indexes (not sure about fruit, but there's other benefits in that).

Cut out snack foods like chips and pretzels and stuff. Replace it with almonds or natural peanut butter. That will curb your appetite with something healthy.

Just my suggestions. Once upon a time I had a similar revelation and lost 50 pounds in 6 months.

That's pretty much the approach I took about a month and a half ago. Plus I make sure to eat about 5 times a day.

17 lbs and counting...

Quitting beef will be hard since I love burgers, but red meat is bad for your heart. I'm sure I'll slip every so often and eat some lean beef, since it's not detrimental for your heart to eat it every so often. I've actually been eating natural peanuts for a while now, I love those things. I've never been a fan of salt on things, which is good, since it causes high blood pressure but it is in like everything anymore which is why I need to learn to cook.

When i was living in NM i was always eating 3 meals a day.. one at 7am, another around 2ish, and a smaller dinner around 7 when i was at my 2nd job. I would usually be in bed around 1ish. About an hour after work. I did this for about 3 months. and in that 3 months i lost a total of 30 or so pounds. I rarely drank soda. If anything, maybe about 2 or 3 a week on the weekends when i went out.

damn, i need to get back on that style of living...

also, i gained weight when i went to college, and when i cut soda out of my diet, drank water or juice instead, and was doing steps up to a third floor apt instead of using the elevator every day, i lost 15 lbs.

I use the stairs alllllll the time and people think I'm weird. When I worked in Albany, I walked or skated to work and then walked up 6 or 8 flights of stairs (I forgot what floor I was on) and people would think I'm nuts. I figure.. someday if I CAN'T use the stairs, it'll make me sad, so I'll use them while I can. Plus, it is simple exercise when I normally do next to nothing all day.

Also, I hate small talk, and elevators breed small talk, so.. I just avoid them.

I use the stairs alllllll the time and people think I'm weird. When I worked in Albany, I walked or skated to work and then walked up 6 or 8 flights of stairs (I forgot what floor I was on) and people would think I'm nuts. I figure.. someday if I CAN'T use the stairs, it'll make me sad, so I'll use them while I can. Plus, it is simple exercise when I normally do next to nothing all day.

Also, I hate small talk, and elevators breed small talk, so.. I just avoid them.

yep i always use the stairs at work now, even though im on the 9th floor haha.

today when i was leaving there were 2 fire trucks and an ambulance there because an elevator had been stuck for over 45 min and they had to have the fire company break in and get them out.

haha suckas in the elevator.

• 3 weeks later...