that was quick...(HWM til the wheels fall off)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I don't get about it. Everyone seems to think it's okay to buy one just to trade, but not just to sell. What's the difference then if I were to trade it for a record that's worth say $85, or just sell it for $85? If I use the money I make to buy another record, isn't just like trading for one?

Here's what I don't get about it. Everyone seems to think it's okay to buy one just to trade, but not just to sell. What's the difference then if I were to trade it for a record that's worth say $85, or just sell it for $85? If I use the money I make to buy another record, isn't just like trading for one?

Yeah I was just going to ask falloutcollapse what he thought a "fair" trade was. Is it for a record worth $20, or one worth more?

Guest falloutcollapse

A fair trade to me, is if there is a huge HWM fan on here, and they don't get ahold of this, they trade me something that they think it's worth it. I'm not out to get money, and I'm not out to get some ultra rare pressing of a record, but I just want a HWM fan to get a record that would probably be very special to them. As long as the trade justifies the price and the effort to get it and all that jazz, it's fair to me. I'm not trying to make money or trade for a Full Collapse test press or anything, seriously. Just trying to help out some people that don't live in the cities that HWM is coming to

I always thought the same thing.

A fair trade to me, is if there is a huge HWM fan on here, and they don't get ahold of this, they trade me something that they think it's worth it. I'm not out to get money, and I'm not out to get some ultra rare pressing of a record, but I just want a HWM fan to get a record that would probably be very special to them. As long as the trade justifies the price and the effort to get it and all that jazz, it's fair to me. I'm not trying to make money or trade for a Full Collapse test press or anything, seriously. Just trying to help out some people that don't live in the cities that HWM is coming to

I think what you are saying is that you are acting as middle man, and would expect a little compensation for it. It's OK if you don't ask for a record over a hundred dollars, but something in the $30 to $40 range is OK (this is how I read "what a huge HWM fan thinks it's worth".

If I am reading correctly between the lines, what you are describing is no different from selling on ebay, but it's just to a lesser degree. You are still taking a profit to deliver the record from band to buyer, when if no one did anything like this every record bought would go to a HWM fan without the cost of middle men.

I'm not passing judgement. I've bought, sold, and traded for profit in the past. I'm just saying I don't see that much of a difference between buying to sell on ebay and buying to trade. Trading records you bought for yourself but didn't end up wanting to keep is what is truly benevolent.

Guest falloutcollapse

Whatever you think sir, I will not pass judgement either. I am a middle man, and I know this, but I'm really just looking to get this tour edition to someone who won't be able to attend the tour and would really like one.

this discussion reminds me a bit of the discussion about show tickets....when people buy tickets in order to sell them for a higher price on ebay....

in my opinion ,I do not like the stuff which is so rare that you are not able to get it because prices on ebay or elswhere are so high, that have to sell your grandmother to afford this.....

still I would love to get a copy of this tour LP since I collect hwm records. but I am afraid this is a really hard thing , since I am from Germany....... so if anyone could get me one.................

Guest falloutcollapse
As long as Vedant gives me first crack if I get fucked out of one..... :)

Dude I think this is fair enough since you hooked me up with one of the only two records I've really been dying for. PM me if you don't get one, k?

the way i see it is...if i can get multiples i have one person i promised first show. from there, after keeping one myself, the rest are going for sale. if the punk rock world expects me to be able to leave work early, drive a total of 8 hours, blow lots of money on tickets and gas, then it should be ok with me trying to make some money off the experience to help fund it. cause lets face it, i got bills to pay and owe lots of money for school so everything i make goes towards that. i can't afford to do big trips all the time. something like this is a rare chance to lessen the economic trouble for some of us.

Who cares in the end? If someone wants to be greedy and sell a copy on eBay, so be it. Let them make the money and go...

I would have thought that same way but ever since joining VC, I have gotten a better appreciation for vinyl and my fellow collectors. If I were to go to a show where I know they'll sell vinyl, I'd see who would want a copy...even if that one band I am not a fan of. Just like when I went to the Circa Survive show with Fear Before The March Of Flames. I am not a fan of Circa, but was on the lookout for the possibility of them having "Juturna" to hook Vedant up...they didn't have it but that was the plan.

Bottom line is simple economics...supply and demand...

Let's spend more time worrying about other shit instead of complaining about this being unfair.

Let's spend more time worrying about other shit instead of complaining about this being unfair.

i definitely agree.

i don't want to fight or defend my positions, but i think i can speak for a lot of people when i say - if any vinyl collectors, like myself, end up making money on something like this. more than likely, it's going to go full circle as that money will prob help fund d.i.y labels, other vinyl producers, and the bands we will go see.

I dont have much of a problem with people flipping stuff on ebay...its not my cup of tea but to each their own....as for buying one on ebay, it is the only resort for some us who dont have someone picking up one for us at the shows (which would be a win win for everybody, collectors helping collectors is always the best way to go) or not being able to go to on ourselves, why would it matter to most of you when we are the ones that will probably end up paying 3-5 times more than we really should have to, but its kind of part of being not only a fan but a collector...and maybe just a little crazy