not stoked on 2009 already

So i work for this pet sitting company where we take care of peoples animals when they (the owners) go out of town. This one client asked me to come at 7am and let her dog (a Vizsla - mad expensive dog) out of the crate, to feed her dog and her boyfriends two dogs, walk her dog, and then open the doggie door so the three dogs could go in and out of the house and into the fenced in back yard as they please all day long. Then she wanted me to come back around 10 to feed the dogs, walk her dog, close the doggie door and put her dog in the crate for the evening.

Well on New Years eve i went at 7:15 for the 7am visit and did everything that she asked...I had been taken care of this dog for close to a week now by this point so i knew all the ins and out of the house and etc. Came back at 9:45 for the evening visit, and her dog was not in the basement or in the backyard. They (again, the owners) had latched one of the gates with a rope and I found it opened enough for her dog to squeeze through. Spent all my new years eve driving around and walking through connecting roads and neighborhoods looking for this dog, calling other workers and neighbors and had a pretty good search team going for 4 hours or so looking for her dog. Put up Lost Dog signs everywhere, everything.

Boss call me the next morning to say that someone had found the dog two miles away. It had been hit by a car and was in real bad shape when they found it. Died at the vet.

I've spent every day of the new year taking pictures of the gate, talking with insurance agents, writing detailed reports of what i did every time i was in the house and doing all this other shit "just in case this thing has to go to court."

What a crazy fucking year already.

The owners should be (and hopefully will be) held responsible for their fuck-up. That's what they get for not properly latching/locking the gate.

Yeah...it sucks that the dog died...but the owners got no one to blame but themselves. But like Allison said, no one wants to take blame or responsability for their actions and/or inactions so I wouldn't be surprised if they come after you or the company you work for.