Bush getting boo'd by a million people

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to believe there's a non-gay bashing minister Obama could have picked who would have been a Republican voice.

Warren is pretty much the most non-gay bashing minister Republican's listen to. And having a Civil Rights leader give the closing prayer was moving for me, not for spiritual reasons but because that guy represents everything Warren doesn't.

Then they don't get a voice. They're not what America represents. Period. There's no compromise on those kind of principles. Warren represents some of the worst things this country has going on now.

The Right stood by the idea that "If we don't agree with you 100% of the time, you don't get a voice"

I think it's wonderful that Obama is starting off his term by symbolically saying "I will listen to the voices of all Americans even if I don't agree with you 100% of the time."

That's a canyon of difference between saying something like "if you don't like our war you don't get a voice" and "if you can't tolerate the decisions of other free people you don't get a voice."

The Right stood by the idea that "If we don't agree with you 100% of the time, you don't get a voice"

I think it's wonderful that Obama is starting off his term by symbolically saying "I will listen to the voices of all Americans even if I don't agree with you 100% of the time."

agreed. +1!

That's a canyon of difference between saying something like "if you don't like our war you don't get a voice" and "if you can't tolerate the decisions of other free people you don't get a voice."

Not really. I don't think just because someone doesn't support gay marriage means they can't have a voice on other issues. Because at the end of the day totally blocking them out A) makes us just as bad as them and B) makes for the kind of anger that leads to violence and political upheaval. You can be moderately right wing and oppose gay marriage. There are liberals who oppose gay marriage. If you ban them from rational political discourse you leave them nowhere to go but further into the wilderness of extremism.

as i understand it, an opinion cannot be 'wrong' or 'right'.

i am very very pro-gay marriage and think it's a shame that people have such hatred for even the idea of gay marriage. however, everyone is entitled to their opinion, which is part of why america is a pretty ok place to live most of the time.

Yeah if the debate is over cream cheese and jelly v. peanut butter and jelly, but when you're dealing with civil liberties there is only one correct side of the fence. Everyone against gay marriage is wrong. No grey area, no sides just wrong. The fucking guy doesn't even believe in dinosaurs.

However Obama also had a gay bishop give the prayer yesterday. For Warren's people that is equally as wrong.

Yeah if the debate is over cream cheese and jelly v. peanut butter and jelly, but when you're dealing with civil liberties there is only one correct side of the fence. Everyone against gay marriage is wrong. No grey area, no sides just wrong. The fucking guy doesn't even believe in dinosaurs.

However Obama also had a gay bishop give the prayer yesterday. For Warren's people that is equally as wrong.

Further proof that Warren and his people are assholes.

i think one problem is that oftentimes people who consider themselves liberal think the term is synonomous with 'open minded'. a lot of liberals i know are some of the most close minded people i know. in my opinion, being close minded and saying things in absolutes like 'you're wrong if you dont believe in gay marriage' is putting yourself in the same boat as people who are opposed to gay marriage.

Loki, come on man, you have to get this. When it comes to civil rights it black and white. Period. There's no grey, there's not even a hint. I don't give a shit about people who would take civil liberties away. They're wrong and that wrongness negates EVERYTHING ELSE. Civil liberties ARE FUNDAMENTAL.

i think one problem is that oftentimes people who consider themselves liberal think the term is synonomous with 'open minded'. a lot of liberals i know are some of the most close minded people i know. in my opinion, being close minded and saying things in absolutes like 'you're wrong if you dont believe in gay marriage' is putting yourself in the same boat as people who are opposed to gay marriage.

No, its not even close. Drawing a line in the sand stating, "if you don't believe all people are created equal, if your stance on social issues is based on a fictional book then you're wrong," is not wrong. I would imagine a good majority of the people who voted away people rights would be horrified if they lived under the Quaran. Yet, they do the same thing to people who don't share their beliefs. Saying to these people, as they continue to press their religion down our throats, you don't have a voice in a Democractic, secular government is not wrong. Its constitutionally mandated.

Loki, come on man, you have to get this. When it comes to civil rights it black and white. Period. There's no grey, there's not even a hint. I don't give a shit about people who would take civil liberties away. They're wrong and that wrongness negates EVERYTHING ELSE. Civil liberties ARE FUNDAMENTAL.

I can totally understand that point of view. I agree with it. However an overwhelming majority of the people who voted for and against Obama wouldn't be included in the government. Shit, 85% of the black community wouldn't be included. Sadly this is an issue that is going to be solved with baby steps and alienation isn't one of them.

No, its not even close. Drawing a line in the sand stating, "if you don't believe all people are created equal, if your stance on social issues is based on a fictional book then you're wrong," is not wrong. I would imagine a good majority of the people who voted away people rights would be horrified if they lived under the Quaran. Yet, they do the same thing to people who don't share their beliefs. Saying to these people, as they continue to press their religion down our throats, you don't have a voice in a Democractic, secular government is not wrong. Its constitutionally mandated.

Exactly. We need to show those people that all rights and voices, regardless of if we disagree, are accepted in America. It doesn't mean you follow the beliefs, just that you allow them a voice. I don't want Obama creating free speech zones for anti-abortion and gay marriage protesters. Warren is an asshole, but he doesn't promote violence, simply the views (wrong headed as they are) of a majority of America.

I just heard on TV that Bush got eggs thrown at him during the parade, they had to accelerate the parade cause of that, ahah. Also, i was hoping that this morning, when i first saw Bush coming, that he would get boo when he gets outside but i didn't hear anything, but that was probably the channel that censured it.