fake problems- viking wizard eyes 7": wtf.

maybe i'm out of the loop and missing the point here, but i'm really fucking pissed about this 7". firstly, as far as 7"s go, it's kinda expensive. after shipping, we're looking at around 7 bucks.

secondly, and more importantly, i view this as the band needing to resort to criminal measures in order to sell their material. i don't think i was stupid in assuming that this would be a bunch of blink covers (the song titles, 'viking wizard eyes' being the original title for enema of the state, fuck, even that '239' logo on the vinyl is the same shape/style as the 182. so what the fuck? i'd like to believe that this was a practical joke that i just didn't catch onto, but what band needs to lie about their songs in order to sell their music?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

dear mr. likes music, are you fucking insane? an assumption? c'mon now, it was a blatant lie. you can pull that card, and it wouldn't surprise me, but we both know the deal here. i didn't think the band thought so lowly of themselves that they needed to lie to move some 7"s.

and scott? shut up dude. you're a dick.

Guest conoley
maybe i'm out of the loop and missing the point here, but i'm really fucking pissed about this 7". firstly, as far as 7"s go, it's kinda expensive. after shipping, we're looking at around 7 bucks.

secondly, and more importantly, i view this as the band needing to resort to criminal measures in order to sell their material. i don't think i was stupid in assuming that this would be a bunch of blink covers (the song titles, 'viking wizard eyes' being the original title for enema of the state, fuck, even that '239' logo on the vinyl is the same shape/style as the 182. so what the fuck? i'd like to believe that this was a practical joke that i just didn't catch onto, but what band needs to lie about their songs in order to sell their music?

Yeah, they have to lie about their songs in order to sell their music. What?

Guest genericinsight

When I interviewed FP last summer, they openly claimed Blink 182 as one of their major influences and collective favorite band. I think this is more of a tribute than anything else.

Guest genericinsight
i'd like someone to explain to me how this could be considered a tribute...

um well re-read everything you wrote in your original post.

- I don't know if the songs themselves are covers (I would think they are but you never know) but whether they are or not, it's clear the band has an interest in Blink - either choosing to cover their songs OR name songs after Blink song titles.

- the title of the 7" you said was an original title for Enema of the State. I never knew this fact but presumably a more dedicated Blink 182 fan would (so its obvious both you and the band either are or at least know more than I do in this respect).

- lastly the mock of the logo you said the number imitates.

All those say to me "Hmm this band must really like that band so therefore this is a tribute to them".

I'm failing to see how any of this is a lie to "move more units" as you're suggesting.

Think about how many hardcore bands do "rip off" style merch - i.e. take artwork, designs or logos of another band and make it their own. Are you saying that all those bands are lying and pretending those designs were original ideas and are passing them off as their own in order to sell more merch? Since Fake Probs are open Blink 182 fans, I'm thinking it's the same thing except with a record and not a t-shirt.

as far as the price goes, I agree that I think $7 is a tad pricey but I would think that's VC's not the band's. Maybe the artwork is heavy and might weigh more on a scale, thus slightly higher shipping/packaging charges? I'm sure Virgil has good reasons and ways to figure out pricing for all the records in the VC store.

Maybe it's because I'm not a huge Blink fan but I really didn't think this even for a moment. I mean, I can see it as a tip of the hat but not as lying to sell their music. And really I doubt they're making that much off these anyhow. Now if they titled their album "Fake Problems plays Blink-182 songs" I could see it but they always said this was a 3 song EP and if it were Blink covers I think someone would have said it before now.

i feel like i'm on crazy pills here guys. do you all truly believe what you're saying? it's all semantics. you don't name your 7" the original working title of an album, and then name all of your songs on it the same name as songs on that album... i'm just going to let this go, as clearly no one else sees a problem with this.

i'd like someone to explain to me how this could be considered a tribute...

as far as the price goes, I agree that I think $7 is a tad pricey but I would think that's VC's not the band's. Maybe the artwork is heavy and might weigh more on a scale, thus slightly higher shipping/packaging charges? I'm sure Virgil has good reasons and ways to figure out pricing for all the records in the VC store.

the 7" is $4.99, shipping on 1 7" is 1.99. We carry plenty of 7"s that cost 3.99, 4.99. and even some are 5.99. I don't think that is expensive. If someone bought 10 7"s, they could pay only $3.00 for shipping all they want so in this example, the cost would have been $5.29. I don't think that is expensive.

This is the stupidest argument I've ever heard.

#1. If anything, the title/track names were probably a half baked joke that actually happened.

#2. Have a sense of humor, for fucks sake:

[image]

#3 $7 for a 7" is too much? I paid $7 for it with shipping to Canada. That's about $3.50 for the 7", take your beef with the post office, not the band or the distro. Try buying a 7" off of eBay for less than that with shipping, good luck.

#4 Fake Problems > Blink 182.

you don't name your 7" the original working title of an album, and then name all of your songs on it the same name as songs on that album...

dude, i don't want to be critical, but is the working title of a ten year old record significant common knowledge? i had no idea what you were talking about for most of that first post. if the only reason you bought it is because you thought it was a covers ep then shouldn't you have just checked it out more first?

Guest genericinsight
This is the stupidest argument I've ever heard.

#1. If anything, the title/track names were probably a half baked joke that actually happened.

#2. Have a sense of humor, for fucks sake:

[image]

#3 $7 for a 7" is too much? I paid $7 for it with shipping to Canada. That's about $3.50 for the 7", take your beef with the post office, not the band or the distro. Try buying a 7" off of eBay for less than that with shipping, good luck.

#4 Fake Problems > Blink 182.

ding ding. that Ergs record is another perfect example. Fake Problems wasn't the first band to do something like this as clearly pointed, so I think we're all finding it hard to get behind your opinion.

i don't think you can use the ergs as an example though, their record although a tribute, is not the same.

they don't use the same title as the record they love,, nor do they use the song titles.

i think it was lack of creativity, but you shouldn't be upset or feel duped, as there was no mention of blink cover songs, merely just a mock of the band.