Dudes who are engaged/married

I looked at everything. Rings ranging from $1,000 to $15,000. I wasn't concerned really with how much I spent, but I wanted to get the most for my money. I got a really nice ring for $3,500 with a plan that includes inspection every six months and replacement/repair if any imperfections arise (i recommend this for anyone ring shopping). Same for my wife's wedding ring, which also has diamonds. Meanwhile, I wear a simple silver band that cost less than $200.

The ring has nothing to do with how much you spend. If you know the woman, you know what she likes and if you're dilligent you can find it for a fair price.

And the standard is two month's salary...but that was more of a marketing ploy by DeBeers than an actual fact.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh rings. Such a great symbol. "I own this woman. See how much I paid for her." I wish I could say I will be bucking the trend. My girlfriend wants to get marries, so we will, but if it was up to me it would be a purely tax-related decision.

I don't need a piece of paper the be faithful for a lifetime.

I got my fiance a ring at Tiffany's. You don't get as much ring for your money, but the diamond is top notch, and you can notice the difference between it and crappy ones bought at the mall. also, she loves Tiffany's jewelery, so that meant a lot to her.

also, just set the date, 10/10 of this year.

Expensive rings are stupid. Get her something nice and cheap and classy, and tell her to appreciate it.

My girlfriend and I have discussed it before, and if having a super fancy ring is that important to anyone then they can go fuck themselves.

I gave my wife my great-grandmother's wedding ring. She is perfectly happy with it. A lot of times when her friends get engaged and make a big stupid deal about the size of their rock, my wife tells me how glad she is she has something with real value.

Oh rings. Such a great symbol. "I own this woman. See how much I paid for her." I wish I could say I will be bucking the trend. My girlfriend wants to get marries, so we will, but if it was up to me it would be a purely tax-related decision.

Oh you rebel

Just keep subjugating women. Do it. See if I care, and keep submitting yourself to the governmental institution of religion.

???

This whole deal is in your head as much as its in other people's heads. I mean I got my girl a ring because I wanted to, not because I wanted to mark my territory. I didn't get it because I wanted to keep up with a social norm. But I certainly wouldn't let something like a social norm dictate what I do or don't do. Afterall, there's no real difference.

Just keep subjugating women. Do it. See if I care, and keep submitting yourself to the governmental institution of religion.

???

This whole deal is in your head as much as its in other people's heads. I mean I got my girl a ring because I wanted to, not because I wanted to mark my territory. I didn't get it because I wanted to keep up with a social norm. But I certainly wouldn't let something like a social norm dictate what I do or don't do. Afterall, there's no real difference.

I seriously doubt you just organically got the idea to put a diamond ring on your lover's finger. No sir! No sir!

[image]

I didn't even buy my wife an engagement ring. It's such a bullshit tradition to us. There's this whole industry out there saying you should be spending X amount on whatever - it's like the funeral industry. They know how everyone's emotions get wrapped up and they "suggest" accordingly.

We have white gold wedding bands. Honestly, if we knew then what we know now, we probably wouldn't have even gotten gold at all.

I'm a girl and i think that whole ring bullshit is really ridiculous

Seriously.. If a girls is resentful because you don't buy her a ring worth 2-3 months of salary, then that says a lot about how she values your relationship.

I'd rather get something cheap but classy and especially, thoughtful and romantic. Showing that you care isn't about how much you spend

this.

also, i'm afraid of breaking/hurting an expensive ring, so i want a less expensive, low key one. i'd rather he spend his money on something like....a down payment on a house, or photography equipment.

then again, i'm weird.

The best thing ever is you can cannibalize an existing ring from a grandmother, divorce, pawn shop... whatever. My wife has a $14k ring that I paid $3k into... and it shines like Sammy's knee.

A statement I fully back, AND a Shellac reference? +1 to you, sir.

I gave my wife my great grandmother's ring, which is not that extravagant but looks plenty nice. It carries the family history and didn't force me to spend a shit-ton of money (which we ended up saving to put towards buying a house).

I got my fiance a ring at Tiffany's. You don't get as much ring for your money, but the diamond is top notch, and you can notice the difference between it and crappy ones bought at the mall. also, she loves Tiffany's jewelery, so that meant a lot to her.

a tiffanys right is what my lady said shes wants... but holy fuck they're expensive. guess i gotta just keep looking for a deal!

The best thing ever is you can cannibalize an existing ring from a grandmother, divorce, pawn shop... whatever. My wife has a $14k ring that I paid $3k into... and it shines like Sammy's knee.

A statement I fully back, AND a Shellac reference? +1 to you, sir.

I gave my wife my great grandmother's ring, which is not that extravagant but looks plenty nice. It carries the family history and didn't force me to spend a shit-ton of money (which we ended up saving to put towards buying a house).

In fact, it is a Shellac reference. Good catch.

a tiffanys right is what my lady said shes wants... but holy fuck they're expensive. guess i gotta just keep looking for a deal!

I went into the store and got what I thought was a good deal. the ring looks amazing, and you know it's quality. also, the did financing which helped me out a great deal, I wouldn't have been able to get one with out it.

I spent $250 at an antique shop, and the wife loved it. I opted for a sapphire because, well, she hinted at that (on top of not wanting a diamond due to the nonsense, both monetarily and human rights).

Plus, I don't know what the "norm" is, but my wife hasn't even worn her engagement ring since we got hitched - she wears a simple $20 silver band.

I am extremely lucky to have found such a rad girl with her priorities in check!

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=217479&title=timing-de-veers-diamonds

I didn't even buy my wife an engagement ring. It's such a bullshit tradition to us. There's this whole industry out there saying you should be spending X amount on whatever - it's like the funeral industry. They know how everyone's emotions get wrapped up and they "suggest" accordingly.

We have white gold wedding bands. Honestly, if we knew then what we know now, we probably wouldn't have even gotten gold at all.

I luff u.

I seriously doubt you just organically got the idea to put a diamond ring on your lover's finger. No sir! No sir!

Whatever lets you sleep at night dude. I felt no real necessity to do something I didn't want to do. I got the ring because it made her feel special. Why exactly did it do that? I don't really care. Its a "social norm" I'm not worried about going against or going with.

That's pretty much what we did, although we were never really engaged, I just asked her to marry me and 10 days later we did, so no time for engagement rings anyway!!

My folks are even paying for like 90% of the wedding. My girl's folks "have no money" but they have a HD tv. They really don't like me. So if she whined about the size of the family heirloom rock she got i could whip out the ol' "at least my folks are taking care of the wedding you ungrateful brat!" heh.