Dudes who are engaged/married

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent $6500. But I did get help from my grandparent's, they chipped in 3K. My mom was also nice enough to put it on her card and let me pay her back month-by-month.

I got a 1.5+ karat, princess cut. It looks big enough that my lady friend gets comments from random people like waitresses and people at stores. That works well for her and I.

the ring is supposed to cost 1/3 of your salary. i had a girlfriend tell me that once and my response was "thank god i'm not marrying you". needless to say we broke up shortly after.

i wouldn't set a limit as to how much you should spend. i'd say set a limit of how much you'd like to spend versus how much is realistic for you to spend then look around.

i've seen some engagement rings at were under $5,000 that looked much nicer than rings that cost $10,000+

I heard two months too, but shit Who has that much to spend on this day and age.

I have shopped around, and the only part of the rock that I feel strongest about is that it should be conflict free. Unfortunately, that may up the price a couple grand... Stupid African conflicts

I'm pretty sure you can get Canadian diamonds at a 'normal' price. Also, gold is expensive now, so you might actually be able to get platinum cheaper than gold.

I bought my diamond online (BlueNile.com) for $5,500 and got it appraised for $8,000 at Robbins Bros. I know online sounds fucking shaky, but if it's a reputable place you may be able to get a good deal.

Also, pay a lot of attention to the quality of the cut -- that's what determines how sparkly the diamond is, which is always a crowd pleaser.

I'm a girl and i think that whole ring bullshit is really ridiculous

Seriously.. If a girls is resentful because you don't buy her a ring worth 2-3 months of salary, then that says a lot about how she values your relationship.

I'd rather get something cheap but classy and especially, thoughtful and romantic. Showing that you care isn't about how much you spend

Expensive rings are stupid. Get her something nice and cheap and classy, and tell her to appreciate it.

My girlfriend and I have discussed it before, and if having a super fancy ring is that important to anyone then they can go fuck themselves.

There's a difference between an expensive ring for expense sake and an expensive ring because what you want to get is expensive. What you're saying is good and correct but not 100% accurate or realistic.

I mean, why bother with a ring at all if you're not getting something nice. And something nice costs a bit more than something not-so-nice.

I'm with the "Cheap and classy" guys. If you can afford a bigger ring later in life and she wants one get it. But dropping thousands of dollars when you're starting out is just silly.

Unless you can afford it. I think a general rule would be to get what you can afford. If she's not happy with it, then you sure do have issues especially if you've done all you can to get her something nice.

Mine was $2300 for the diamond and the mount, heart shaped, .76 carat. The mount is a claddagh, so it works well.

If you can work a heart shaped diamond, do it. They're cheaper than the more traditional cuts, and they look bigger than they actually are. My wife's ring looks like it's well over 1 carat.

Me and my girl have had the "Cheap" ring discussion. Her argument is that this is something she will be wearing for the rest of her life and is worth the investment.

My stance is.. the investment is not the ring, but it's symbolism of committing to wanting to spend the rest of our lives with each other.