Capital LPs (small) update

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

record release show is june 1st, i am lucky that i live on long island and will be there no matter what.

Damn you crazy new york kids and your Sunday shows.

I'll be at this for sure, I asked for southwest gift certificates for my birthday. So...yeah. In advance of that, anyone also going that wants any other records/cds fron ucr let me know in advance and I'll bring them with and won't charge any shipping.

Guest genericinsight

the lineup for the show is great, I just saw it on Election Day's website. I'll be able to come out for it.

Justin, I might take you up on that offer to buy UCR stuff if you come out for the show.

Guest genericinsight

Justin, since you'll be here, would you want to wait for the show and do the label interview there as opposed to the live call in beforehand? Whichever you prefer or think would be easier.

I'm having these manufactured through a place in Florida called Alpha Records. Don't worry, I had never heard of them before either. Var gave me the heads up that No Idea uses them from time to time. So we'll see, I personally don't think the GZ media (PP or RecordPressing.com) vinyl is worth the outrageous shipping charges. I've pressed 3 records with them but I don't think I'll use them again except for re-presses of those releases. In a way, I view it as a eco friendly view as well...why not use one of the many plants in America than outsource it to another country where GZ media makes a profit on top of whichever broker you use, they make a profit and they spend fuel to ship them from the czech republic to california then all the way to me.

It's not a responsible decision, especially given how played out the splatter n crazyness things that they can do are....IMO

Thank god. I'm glad that you're going to be using a different record pressing plant. It seems like every big label is going over seas to press their records and the quality is just lacking. Most records that have that crazy splatter or "haze" to them leave this sandy, gritty feel to the record and you have to(or should) clean it off before you even play it.....not to mention that "sand" scratches the vinyl really badly. I think you're making a very smart decision. I love colored vinyl as much as the next guy, but I prefer quality vinyl over color any day.

Guest genericinsight
I'm having these manufactured through a place in Florida called Alpha Records. Don't worry, I had never heard of them before either. Var gave me the heads up that No Idea uses them from time to time. So we'll see, I personally don't think the GZ media (PP or RecordPressing.com) vinyl is worth the outrageous shipping charges. I've pressed 3 records with them but I don't think I'll use them again except for re-presses of those releases. In a way, I view it as a eco friendly view as well...why not use one of the many plants in America than outsource it to another country where GZ media makes a profit on top of whichever broker you use, they make a profit and they spend fuel to ship them from the czech republic to california then all the way to me.

It's not a responsible decision, especially given how played out the splatter n crazyness things that they can do are....IMO

Thank god. I'm glad that you're going to be using a different record pressing plant. It seems like every big label is going over seas to press their records and the quality is just lacking. Most records that have that crazy splatter or "haze" to them leave this sandy, gritty feel to the record and you have to(or should) clean it off before you even play it.....not to mention that "sand" scratches the vinyl really badly. I think you're making a very smart decision. I love colored vinyl as much as the next guy, but I prefer quality vinyl over color any day.

you speak as if everyone who presses through those plants get splatter vinyl and splatter only. I realize people are having quams against splatter vinyl these days but it's not a new thing... it's just getting quite popular right now. I just recently bought a Depeche Mode single from 1984 that was on a splatter color so clearly this isn't a new development in vinyl pressing.

Plus, I think you should clean or brush/dust off your records before you play them anyway, regardless of what color it is. I do it even with my black vinyl.

^^^i agree, this is another problem I've had as well...the Shot Baker LPs were pressed there and thhey're like that and it bugs me to no end.

^^^i agree, this is another problem I've had as well...the Shot Baker LPs were pressed there and thhey're like that and it bugs me to no end.

Ive only had this happen to one record, the red sparrows 2x12 inch, didn't know it was that common and i have a bunch of records with the haze and splatter and never noticed it...

but yeah, a better sounding record always win over a good looking record...

you speak as if everyone who presses through those plants get splatter vinyl and splatter only. I realize people are having quams against splatter vinyl these days but it's not a new thing... it's just getting quite popular right now. I just recently bought a Depeche Mode single from 1984 that was on a splatter color so clearly this isn't a new development in vinyl pressing.

Plus, I think you should clean or brush/dust off your records before you play them anyway, regardless of what color it is. I do it even with my black vinyl.

It's not a "new development" but for some reason I think Pirates press is the only pressing plant that will do splatter vinyl anymore......and if they aren't the only one than they are for sure one of the only ones. I guess people just go there because it's cheaper, especially if you're pressing large numbers of records. As for cleaning my records every time I play them, well I clean them very well but I wouldn't say I clean them before each use, though if I do notice they are dirty/have hair or fibers on them I will for sure clean them.