To Open or Not To Open

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not normally an asshole, but seriously, think about it for two fucking seconds. you bought the records to play them, not to keep the sealed and jerk off on them until their goddamn value goes up so you can sell it.

jesus.

also - this is really not meant to be a personal affront to you (although it definitely seems like one); many people have just been buying records and keeping them sealed until their value increases just to end up selling them. and that pisses me off big time. sorry.

Ok ok. I was hoping that was the general answer. Just asking because I see people have entire Against Me collections and cant help but wonder if they're actually ever listening to them.

I think the only record I would never open would be if I was given like...Brand New - Your Favorite Weapon still sealed up.

ive learned that the new people to this board ask this stupid question.

think about it...

I didn't imply that I meant I would buy records and do that.

It just seems like there are a lot of collectors here and wonder if they listened to the records they specifically hunt down for part of an entire band vinyl pressings.

wowza, maybe I am not as touchy about collecting records, of course I buy records to listen to.. but I also like to collect and keep the colors and all that. I have... 14(?) copies of goddamnit and I've listened to I think two or three of them. I dont have any sealed records just because it doesnt really mess with the value unless they're really old.

So I guess to answer that question, no I usually only listen to one copy of a record that I have multiples of. But its not really because I am holding them like new to sell or whatever. Its just the way I collect I guess? I duno lol

The first thing you should do when you get a record is tear off that shrink wrap and through it out! Playing the records is the best part, and if you have a rare colour you don't want to play, how can you admire that colour/variant or know you even have it?

All that aside, shrink wrap does exactly what it says on the tin, shrink. If you leave it in the wrap over time it will warp the sleeve and eventually the record!

Don't worry about value, just enjoy them! (Or give them to me)

Ok ok. I was hoping that was the general answer. Just asking because I see people have entire Against Me collections and cant help but wonder if they're actually ever listening to them.

I think the only record I would never open would be if I was given like...Brand New - Your Favorite Weapon still sealed up.

I got a sealed copy of this and opened it without hesitation, what's the point in buying records (especially at the amount YFW will set you back) if you're not going to enjoy them?

I got a sealed copy of this and opened it without hesitation, what's the point in buying records (especially at the amount YFW will set you back) if you're not going to enjoy them?

I'd be afraid of tainting its beauty. haha. If I listened to YFW on vinyl, I'd probably die. It would be such a religious experience for me. Really, any Brand New would do that.

Probably same goes for s/t New Found Glory.

I'd be afraid of tainting its beauty. haha. If I listened to YFW on vinyl, I'd probably die. It would be such a religious experience for me. Really, any Brand New would do that.

Probably same goes for s/t New Found Glory.

i take it you're new to the game. what LPs you got so far? do you have a set up?

and really, the only reason to keep something sealed is that you intend on flipping it later. no way around it, unless you have multiples of the same. then you can keep one sealed if you wish.