To Open or Not To Open

i don't even understand the people saying that a sealed record is even good for flipping... i've been collecting records for a long time, and i've sold my share as well, and i've never seen the sealed-ness of a record make a bit of difference in selling it. a rare record is rare record, plain and simple. if its something people want, its gonna sell (unless its just really messed up). and especially when it comes to colored vinyl, i know that i have a hard time trusting someone selling a sealed record that asserts what color of vinyl it is. i don't want the hassle of it showing up and not being what they said.

and as far not playing a rare record... man, it takes a lot of playing for a record to get worn out. a lot. unless you tend to party hard around your record player, you're probably doing more damage to the grooves stacking your records against each other. shit, play it! and to coincide with my point above, if you're worried about selling it down the line... a rare record is a rare record. people don't give a shit if a record has been played, as long as its not totally fucked up, they will pay what its worth.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't even understand the people saying that a sealed record is even good for flipping... i've been collecting records for a long time, and i've sold my share as well, and i've never seen the sealed-ness of a record make a bit of difference in selling it. a rare record is rare record, plain and simple. if its something people want, its gonna sell (unless its just really messed up). and especially when it comes to colored vinyl, i know that i have a hard time trusting someone selling a sealed record that asserts what color of vinyl it is. i don't want the hassle of it showing up and not being what they said.

and as far not playing a rare record... man, it takes a lot of playing for a record to get worn out. a lot. unless you tend to party hard around your record player, you're probably doing more damage to the grooves stacking your records against each other. shit, play it! and to coincide with my point above, if you're worried about selling it down the line... a rare record is a rare record. people don't give a shit if a record has been played, as long as its not totally fucked up, they will pay what its worth.

^^Truth.

I open them all, besides a cool garage sale find of mine: The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? late 70s pressing minty sealed. only $2, and I will frame it eventually, I already have a best of with most of the songs on it by him I would want to spin anyway. I wont flip it in any foreseeable future, but it's just cool to have a sealed old pressing of a legendary record. I don't even consider all that important a part of my collection, since it's in my oldies stack anyway. Any other instance I don't think twice of keeping it sealed, but regardless it's my records and I can listen to whatever I want and keep sealed whatever I want. But the hendrix record is the only exception that I have. People should listen to it if it's important to them or if they enjoy it; if you don't at least have any version of it on vinyl already open the damn thing!

i dont really buy records to collect. i dont try and get every color or every variant, although i do definitely see the allure in a rare record and have some stuff that is tough to find/expensive.

but nah don't have any sealed records. anything i buy i buy because i want to do drugs and listen to it in my room, not because i plan on ever selling. i don't really trade records because i don't like letting things go.

i can certainly understand how some people would keep them sealed but thats just not for me.

w/ it being so easy to reseal records these days, i haven't really noticed sealed records getting all that much more than NM.

i have sold stuff i never got around to opening or listening to, but in general, i buy them to listen to. although if the shrink wrap is too tight, they need to be cracked open or the record may get warped.