To Open or Not To Open

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be afraid of tainting its beauty. haha. If I listened to YFW on vinyl, I'd probably die. It would be such a religious experience for me. Really, any Brand New would do that.

Probably same goes for s/t New Found Glory.

i take it you're new to the game. what LPs you got so far? do you have a set up?

and really, the only reason to keep something sealed is that you intend on flipping it later. no way around it, unless you have multiples of the same. then you can keep one sealed if you wish.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pRyOKe8nGXdGOIirJFSwTdw

Didn't put in some of the ones I've got from my dad. Adam ant!

Apparently getting like 100 old records from a family friend?

Setup - Technics SL-D2 with audio technica at110e (nothing special)

Sony STR 7065 (70s stereo receiever)

2 way Kenwood speakers (maybe 2 foot tall)

Tandberg TCD300 cassette deck

I get why everyone thought I was being a... newb? I don't think I'd ever really leave a record sealed, just wondered if anyone actually did that.

I try to play every record that comes into my house. Whether it's a variant, test press, whatever.

I actually have a lacquer reference coming my way of a certain LP. Only one of these exists and I'm going to spin that shit...I may buy a new needle first, since those things wear down with every play. But I'm sure as shit going to give it a spin.

i take it you're new to the game. what LPs you got so far? do you have a set up?

and really, the only reason to keep something sealed is that you intend on flipping it later. no way around it, unless you have multiples of the same. then you can keep one sealed if you wish.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pRyOKe8nGXdGOIirJFSwTdw

Didn't put in some of the ones I've got from my dad. Adam ant!

Apparently getting like 100 old records from a family friend?

Setup - Technics SL-D2 with audio technica at110e (nothing special)

Sony STR 7065 (70s stereo receiever)

2 way Kenwood speakers (maybe 2 foot tall)

Tandberg TCD300 cassette deck

I get why everyone thought I was being a... newb? I don't think I'd ever really leave a record sealed, just wondered if anyone actually did that.

wow that's a small list. welcome to the world of vinyl collecting. it's a huge pain in the ass, prepare to spend lots of money if you plan on ever looking around on this board. it's a curse but it's so rewarding.

do you get to second base and leave the bra on? Then why leave the wrap on a record. Just sayin..

lol

Listening to YFW is a good experience but then you're left wanting something better so you put on Deja. You end up listening to that and enjoying it even more you feel like listening to Devil and God and then you just end up getting frustrated that hasn't been pressed. It ends up not being the most holy of experiences after all.

Records are for playing first and foremost ...Whats the point in buying them in the 1st place if you get them just to put on your shelves , you might aswell leave them on the shelves in the shop/distro in the 1st place and save yourself some money

I've got well over 1,500 records that i can honestly say, have been spun on my turntable over the years and even now with new records where you get a mp3 code so you don't have to play the record, i use the code but shit the record still gets played shit loads :)

Buy vinyl to play and if you look after them and want to sell them in the future....... you still can ;)

I try to play every record that comes into my house. Whether it's a variant, test press, whatever.

I actually have a lacquer reference coming my way of a certain LP. Only one of these exists and I'm going to spin that shit...I may buy a new needle first, since those things wear down with every play. But I'm sure as shit going to give it a spin.

i know what record this is, and you my friend are a very very lucky man!

i know what record this is, and you my friend are a very very lucky man!

Hahaha.

Guest drahtuos

one sealed record on my shelf, mariah carey - emotions

i had an old roughed up copy that i listened to a lot, found the ss copy, still listened to the roughed up copy, have since traded in the roughed up copy, but keep forgetting to go back to the ss one rip off the shrinkwrap and spin it, so today i'm gonna do just that, thanks thread for reminding me!

I always open all my new vinyl as soon as I get them. There's something special to me about taking in all the artwork (gatefolds, inner sleeves etc), holding the record physically in your hands and then playing it for the first time.

I know this may be stating the obvious, but music is made to be heard and records are made to be played...otherwise, for all intents and purposes, you are just buying expensive pieces of cardboard.