Hey Scott! (Scott questions)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a journalism degree?

I hope that doesn't come off as me being a dick, I'm just curious considering where you work.

Nope, my college didn't offer a journalism program at the time (I heard they're starting one next year, though). I got my degree in speech communication, and I more or less got my job because I spent my college years doing Punknews.org.

Only assholes get journalism degrees. It's like going to bartending college.

That said, I have a degree in journalism. Kind of wish I'd gone to bartending college now.

this is an unbelievable post! of my 2 best friends one is a lifetime bartender and the other is a journalist. they both suck equally, and most of the time they can be interchanged for each other without even noticing.

I'm getting a journalism degree. Shit's fucked.

Yeah, there are just about zero jobs in this field right now. Get prepared to do the farm report.

More like get ready to do EVERYTHING. The trend now is to have like three people run the whole publication and be a reporter, photographer, editor, blogger, feature writer, inside ad salesman, etc.

dear scott,

what is the single moment you've been able to recall in your life, where you say:

a. this shouldn't be happening to me right now.

b. how the fuck am i hanging out with this person?

c. how hard can you fuck dante3000's wife?

Hmm, this is difficult, I'm sure I could think of any number of situations for a and b, but I'll go with the first thing that comes to mind.

a. A few weeks ago, I got the extreme pleasure of boarding a plane and flying to London, England, to meet up with a band I have a deep amount of respect and admiration for to interview them for next month's cover story (can't say who it is yet, but we're revealing the cover next week and people here will be stoked). I was stressing the fuck out when I got there, due to a number of logistical reasons, but eventually, I was able to get on the train going to Portsmouth, where the band were that day. When I got to the venue, they weren't there yet, so I waited for them outside, and when their van pulled up and they started to get out, I seriously was thinking, "This is ridiculous, I just got to fly halfway around the world for free just to interview some of my friends. I am so lucky." So yeah, that's that.

b. Having Fat Mike from NOFX take me and the other Punknews guys out a number of times in Vegas has always been surreal to me, not to mention every time I see NOFX, Mike always remembers me and chats me up. I still wonder why he even talks to a nobody like me every time.

c. I will never have that thought, only because I love my girlfriend very, very much (and she lurks this board, so I don't want to get an earful about "why were you talking about fucking some other dude's wife" even though it's clearly a joke [hi, Aubrey! I love you, baby, and I can't wait to see you in two weeks]).

I know Go-Bots were around before Transformers but they lose on their incredible amount of suck.

Masks were sweet. I had a Cadillac that had a gun that came out of the windshield

i had that shit too, you could shoot the tire off the back and the head lights were machine guns... i cant believe i remember all that shit.

Yeah, there are just about zero jobs in this field right now. Get prepared to do the farm report.

More like get ready to do EVERYTHING. The trend now is to have like three people run the whole publication and be a reporter, photographer, editor, blogger, feature writer, inside ad salesman, etc.

They're pretty much teaching us tht in school now, which is fine with me. I don't mind doing work if it's work I enjoy.

Worse knock off Snorks or Go-Bots?

Pretty sure I owned GoBots and enjoyed playing with them, so I'll say Snorks. You know what I really liked growing up, though? MASK:

[image]

There was another toy line called Silver something, they were people who had big silver wings and flew through space. There was a video game for the Intellivision based on it, too. I wish I could remember the name!

We are childhood cartoon bros.

our newsroom spent the last year with the smallest staff numbers in history. ironically, as the worldwide economy got worse and worse, our province's got better and better. we're the only newsroom in the province that's actively hiring (probably because we saved so much in the last year paying half the salaries we have previously).

the only downside is that, yeah, we have to do twice as much work. we do stories for air, stories for the website, photos and video for the web, and blogs. it's nuts.

I'm getting a journalism degree. Shit's fucked.

Not completely true. Get up to speed on information technology (networking, VoIP, storage, data center, etc.). Tech pubs are hiring reporters, despite cutting other staff. The best move I ever made was jumping from newspapers to tech publications. I make a great deal more than I did in papers, the work is just as fun/challenging, and I get to travel the globe on the company dime.

My advice: Take some IT and business courses to compliment your journalism degree and you'll be good as gold.