Caught Tim Barry and Austin Lucas last night

Really a good show. The local opener, Cheeky Bastards, really wasn't my thing at all. They were older guys who played seemingly forced acoustic/punk stuff.

Josh small was really good. He's not my favorite type of music but he's really good at what he does. It reminds me of how people used to talk about John Coltrane, like he makes it look easy even if what he's playing is hard. Sure he could wail if he wants but he keeps it reeled in and controlled.

Austin Lucas was amazing. Though, this is where my problem with the evening started, people would not shut the fuck up. Thee Parkside isn't a huge venue and it's an acoustic show, but rather than move to the patio area, everyone just seemed to stay by the bar and talk the entire time. Even when Austin was trying to tell a story about how his friend died three weeks ago (and specifically asked if everyone could just listen to this bit) folks wouldn't shut up. It got so damn annoying.

I was actually really impressed by Tim. I had seen him before and enjoyed it but he's really improved as a solo performer. He had Josh Small and Austin up to sing for some songs. The one thing that really stood out was how thin he looked. I know someone mentioned it but he looks like he lost about 30lbs. He also seemed like he was a little uncomfortable sitting still. In between songs, when he'd talk, he'd wring his hands or rock back and forth, maybe just nerves.

Sometime during Barry's set he was telling a story about his friends mom who lost her home in Katrina and now just got laid off and someone started yelling, "that's bullshit". It was hard to tell if he was heckling or agreeing with Barry but you can tell it was annoying. People were hushing him and Tim actually stopped in the middle of the story and stepped back for a minute. It was kind of the mood of the night. Great singing and story telling, tempered with some pretty annoying drunk people.

Man, I really wish I could have caught this tour.

I hate those uncomfortable "the band is mad at part of the crowd" nights. I saw the Swell Season in Detroit, and Glen Hansard was fucking pissed. He yelled at people. After like 2 songs, people were just talking (because it was like a huge bar) so he said, "Here is the only song most of you came to hear, so we're going to play it and then you can leave." Then they played falling slowly. It was a really tense night. Incredible show nonetheless.

yeah I saw Scott Kelly from Neurosis do a solo show in Chicago a few years ago and people were talking all night and he got really bummed out by it and thanks the 30 people standing by the stage specifically.

the Revival Tour was just stupid in Chicago, too many stupid drunks...in fact the last 2 times Tim's been here it was like that...the time before was with Will Whitmore...it was so annoying i left during Will's set because I couldn't hear him talking and could barely hear the songs.

Yeah, I mean, I suppose it's in part due to the fact that Tim is known for his drinking, he sings about it and lives it but there's a difference between being drunk and insanely annoying.

I'd like to add as a pet peeve, unless it's a sing along part or the crowd is encouraged to sing, please don't sing along at an acoustic show. Songs like "Dog Bumped" worked great because everyone was singing but there was this drunk dude who sang behind me for every song and on a lot of Tim's softer stuff having a drunk douche sing off key, in your ear, isn't enjoyable.

run on sentence, what?!

singing depends on the song and how bad / loud the person is singing

but that talking during acoustic sets is annoying. i mean, occasional comments and saying stuff is fine, but having full on conversations and stuff like that pisses me off even if i'm not completely interested in the band playing. some of these people need either a fist or a dick in their mouth to get them to shut up

I don't know. I think singing is ok. Unless the artists asks you not to.

When I saw imadethismistake most of the people at Kickstand were talking. I mean come on. They guy was playing legitimately acoustic too. No mic, no amp. Go outside if you want to talk.

The thing is, it's not like this is loud enough that your singing is overpowered by the dude on stage. Like if it's a louder show, feel free to sing every song. And like I said, on the song where it fits, sing along at this show but not every song in this tour is meant to be a sing along.

I don't know. I think singing is ok. Unless the artists asks you not to.

When I saw imadethismistake most of the people at Kickstand were talking. I mean come on. They guy was playing legitimately acoustic too. No mic, no amp. Go outside if you want to talk.

The thing is, it's not like this is loud enough that your singing is overpowered by the dude on stage. Like if it's a louder show, feel free to sing every song. And like I said, on the song where it fits, sing along at this show but not every song in this tour is meant to be a sing along.

Yeah, you're right.

Austin Lucas was amazing. Though, this is where my problem with the evening started, people would not shut the fuck up. Thee Parkside isn't a huge venue and it's an acoustic show, but rather than move to the patio area, everyone just seemed to stay by the bar and talk the entire time. Even when Austin was trying to tell a story about how his friend died three weeks ago (and specifically asked if everyone could just listen to this bit) folks wouldn't shut up. It got so damn annoying.

Sometime during Barry's set he was telling a story about his friends mom who lost her home in Katrina and now just got laid off and someone started yelling, "that's bullshit". It was hard to tell if he was heckling or agreeing with Barry but you can tell it was annoying. People were hushing him and Tim actually stopped in the middle of the story and stepped back for a minute. It was kind of the mood of the night. Great singing and story telling, tempered with some pretty annoying drunk people.

damn, talking while austin was sining... kinda sounds like my recording of the room show at fest.. the people in back of me wouldn't shut the fuck up.. both kyle, and austin had to tell them to keep it down.

when i caught the small/barry/lucas show in austin. everything was just perfect.. minus the time barry broke a string, then immediately broke another on the other guitar within a minute.. when he's tell stories, everyone quieted down and sang when they needed too.. basically a bunch of drunks with manners. he went into the crowd and sang out loud and played unmiced while everyone sang along while surrounding him..

when lucas played everyone did the exact same.. they payed attention and gave hie the respect any acoustic artist would have deserved.

yet when the stories told by all the performers were through, you left with a feeling of some kind of bond between everyone.. it was weird.. it was a emotional night but i'm seriously glad i went..

and austin was wearing a kylesa shirt..

Really a good show. The local opener, Cheeky Bastards, really wasn't my thing at all. They were older guys who played seemingly forced acoustic/punk stuff.

Josh small was really good. He's not my favorite type of music but he's really good at what he does. It reminds me of how people used to talk about John Coltrane, like he makes it look easy even if what he's playing is hard. Sure he could wail if he wants but he keeps it reeled in and controlled.

I was actually really impressed by Tim. I had seen him before and enjoyed it but he's really improved as a solo performer. He had Josh Small and Austin up to sing for some songs. The one thing that really stood out was how thin he looked. I know someone mentioned it but he looks like he lost about 30lbs. He also seemed like he was a little uncomfortable sitting still. In between songs, when he'd talk, he'd wring his hands or rock back and forth, maybe just nerves.

when i saw Tim open for the Bouncing Souls a couple years back, there were the most annoying fucking people in the crowd, both hecklers and fans.

yeah I saw Scott Kelly from Neurosis do a solo show in Chicago a few years ago and people were talking all night and he got really bummed out by it and thanks the 30 people standing by the stage specifically.

the Revival Tour was just stupid in Chicago, too many stupid drunks...in fact the last 2 times Tim's been here it was like that...the time before was with Will Whitmore...it was so annoying i left during Will's set because I couldn't hear him talking and could barely hear the songs.

Because of what happened at the Revival Tour I've decided to skip his next show in the city. It sucks because I'd love to see the show, but I have a feeling it's going to be more annoying than fun.

Because of what happened at the Revival Tour I've decided to skip his next show in the city. It sucks because I'd love to see the show, but I have a feeling it's going to be more annoying than fun.

as much as I want to skip it, for that reason, I know I'll end up going...I'm way too much of an Avail superfan to miss it.