Yay gays! (VT gay-marriage bill)

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE53648V20090407

BOSTON (Reuters) - Vermont lawmakers on Tuesday overrode a veto from the governor in passing a bill that would allow same-sex marriage, clearing the way for the state to become the fourth in the nation where gay marriage is legal.

The Vermont House of Representatives passed the bill by a 100-49 vote after it cleared the state Senate 23-5 earlier in the day. In Vermont, a bill needs two-thirds support in each chamber to override a veto.

Vermont's vote comes just four days after Iowa's Supreme Court struck down a decade-old law that barred gays from marrying to make that state the first in the U.S. heartland to allow same-sex marriages.

I challenge anyone to give me a good reason why gay and lesbian marriage should be prohibited that doesn't involve the words "Bible" "God" "Church" or any other such synonyms.

And don't play the taxation card either, because that's equivalent in bullshit status.

And if your heterosexual marriage suddenly becomes less sacred because the definition of an archaic term has been modernized, I'd suggest you take a long, hard look at yourself and ask some tough questions on your value as both a spouse and/or human being.

Marriage is an act of unbridled love, devotion, and commitment. Nothing more. Nothing less. I see not how it need only apply to male/female relationships.

I'm a happily married heterosexual male. Nothing burns my ass more than the topic of homosexual rights; specifically, the lack thereof. My wife and I have 4 couples that we're close with -- 2 of which are homosexual male couples. It saddens me deeply that, as an immigrant no less, I have more rights in this country than they.

So kudos to you, Vermont.

As for the rest of you, States, let's get it together.

(Sorry, VC. This really gets me going.)

I challenge anyone to give me a good reason why gay and lesbian marriage should be prohibited that doesn't involve the words "Bible" "God" "Church" or any other such synonyms.

And don't play the taxation card either, because that's equivalent in bullshit status.

And if your heterosexual marriage suddenly becomes less sacred because the definition of an archaic term has been modernized, I'd suggest you take a long, hard look at yourself and ask some tough questions on your value as both a spouse and/or human being.

Marriage is an act of unbridled love, devotion, and commitment. Nothing more. Nothing less. I see not how it need only apply to male/female relationships.

I'm a happily married heterosexual male. Nothing burns my ass more than the topic of homosexual rights; specifically, the lack thereof. My wife and I have 4 couples that we're close with -- 2 of which are homosexual male couples. It saddens me deeply that, as an immigrant no less, I have more rights in this country than they.

Bravo sir, bravo.

Bravo sir, bravo.

Ditto on bravo. I'm married, too and have friends in same-sex relationships. I think the lamest of all arguments against gay rights is the "violation of marriage's sanctity" bullshit. I'm surprised people aren't running around trying to get gays and lesbians banished from Wal-Mart because it violates the sanctity of their shopping experience.