In the 14+ years I've been buying vinyl...

I have to say that right now is the most exciting time to be into records. Easy to find mostly everything you want, so many new people into it, and the different color variations plants and labels are doing now are just bonkers. I'm so stoked on the whole thing.

Anyone with me?

I agree and disagree. Yes, it's easier to get stuff and it's great that more people enjoy the format, but I've grown tired of the pre-order madness where you have to be online the second something is put up for sale to guarantee a copy. I'm not one of those "thrill of the hunt" kind of guys, but it gets disheartening when you can only get certain things online.

I think it's cool. But in all my time of buying vinyl i've never paid so much for single records as i have nowadays. maybe its the popularity of vinyl and the bands or maybe its money shortages but prices just suck right now. im not just talking about people on boards but labels mainly.

I agree with the pre-order thing. I think it was a great idea to start with but it just got a little out of hand. I will rarely pre-order anything unless it's a band I love or it's going to be a one time pressing and I don't feel like tracking it down later.

The singles thing is getting a bit ridiculous as well but I just started to notice that recently and I guess it depends on where you are buying from.

On the positive side it's nice to see things being repressed. I saw the "Hot and Informed" 7" today at my local store and was a little bummed that it was $4.99 and I had paid much more than that a few years ago in order to complete my collection, but also happy that it's out and available for so cheap.

Also I love all the labels doing records for $10 to $12 or even less. No Idea and VC come to mind but there are plenty of labels still keeping it cheap and affordable.

records are too expensive these days, i can't buy anything released by Relapse or Hydra Head without paying $30. there's a few labels who keep their prices low which i really love.

I think it's cool. But in all my time of buying vinyl i've never paid so much for single records as i have nowadays. maybe its the popularity of vinyl and the bands or maybe its money shortages but prices just suck right now. im not just talking about people on boards but labels mainly.

When buying from a label what do think is too much for a single LP? Double LP?

everything should be $10 or less. do it like fat and no idea. this $12 and $15 shit sucks.

everything should be $10 or less. do it like fat and no idea. this $12 and $15 shit sucks.

It depends on what the materials are made of. All of my releases so far have cost about $8 a record. If I sold them for $10 I would never be able to release anything new. Fat and No Idea have some great bands, but their releases don't really have expensive packaging or heavy weight vinyl.

I think it depends on packaging obviously, but for the most part 10-15 for an lp 20-25 for a double. i usually dont have a problem prices per say. its the gouging on shipping. but at the same there are awesome labels who arent in it to screw people. i understand about making back cost and shit but things get insane when a 12" picture disc in a plastic sleeve with a sticker is 19.99 and shipping is 8.00. but for the sake of packaging, i dont mind pay the extra money.

Not all labels can press as many copies as No Idea and Fat.

As the amount of the press rises, cost per record falls, thus allowing them to charge way less.

And I think $12 is totally reasonable, depending on shipping of course. Really, what is $2 dollars in the long run?

When a single LP eclipses $13 that's when I start questioning if i want it right then or not. Unless it's a limited pressing or some crazy packaging. If there was clearly a lot of effort put in by the label to make great packaging or use thicker vinyl I can't see paying over $13 bucks or so.

Double LP's I like to keep it between like $16 and $22. But again the availability, Packaging and Vinyl weight (if known ahead of time) all have to do with what I'm willing to pay.

Relapse gets to be a bit high but most of the things I have bought from them are things that, should I decide to part with I know I'll either get a good trade for it or a decent amount of money so I don't always mind shelling out a few extra bucks for their records.

I hate picture discs as well. I have a few but if it's available in a regular LP sleeve I'll buy that version. I rarely like the way picture discs look and I HATE the clear packaging. It always ends up splitting and it's just so generic. Torche Meanderthal is one of the last picture discs I have bought but the packaging was absolutely incredible.

I agree and disagree. Yes, it's easier to get stuff and it's great that more people enjoy the format, but I've grown tired of the pre-order madness where you have to be online the second something is put up for sale to guarantee a copy. I'm not one of those "thrill of the hunt" kind of guys, but it gets disheartening when you can only get certain things online.
agreed

Guest markovianprocess

Man, if you guys across the pond think it's bad, I pay as much in shipping as for records and the preorders go up at like 1am onwards, so I need to be up at ridiculous hours to grab the rare pressings. Nightmare.

Guest falloutcollapse

I'm getting way more into just plain black, 180g vinyl. It's normally easier to find and I've been able to get some really good music.

Of course I make an exception for Jordan though, haha

eh, not really...i've been collecting vinyl for like 20 years or so...and the mid/late 90s was pretty cool...when all kinds of great stuff was around hella cheap. prob right before ebay sprung up. and there was plenty of cool stuff being put out indie-wise.

back then record stores like amoeba and rasputin's were pushing vinyl to the edges and you'd find all kinds of rad stuff for like 10 bucks....