"whatever happened to the caped crusader?"

gaiman at his near finest. i highly suggest this. it's only a 2 issue miniseries, so you should easily be able to find both issues. however if you feel like waiting, in july dc is going to be putting out a hardcover collecting these 2 and 3 or 4 other gaiman/batman stories. totally worth it.

SPOILERS ENCLOSED

He did not die in Batman: RIP. He died in Final Crisis. The whole thing was pretty confusing until you go back and re-read all of RIP at once. Basically, he was insane due to some hypnotic suggestions and eventually sorted himself out. The problem is that Grant Morrison likes to make his comics seem like you've missed something between issues. Final Crisis was the same way. I honestly had no idea what was going on in that book until I went and re-read them all. So yeah, Batman doesn't actually die in RIP. I guess the thing where he attacks the helicopter at the end leads to him getting captured by some of the new gods? And really, he doesn't die in Final Crisis either but gets sent back to the beginning of time, or some shit. As far as the DCU is concerned, however, he and Darkseid kill each other in Final Crisis.

It's all completely retarded.

Yeah, Final Crisis 6 - Batman kills Darkseid using the bullet that killed Orion, Darkseid's birth-son. At the same time, Darkseid shoots Batman with the omega beam which I guess kills his body but also sends him back to the beginning of time? It's confusing, to say the least.

It was a pretty defining Batman moment though. His code doesn't allow him to kill but he decided it had to be done in this case. Darkseid had taken over the world, it was the only chance to save humanity.....can't blame him for that.