collecting variants/ complete-ism

i talk with my friend about my unemployment.

yeah i don't have money for use or buy anything such i ever.

that guy suggest me for throw some on ebay for cash.

but i don't think i will do it.

he think i only should keep some copy of colour for listen.

and he think collecting variants or try to pay for complete is some kind of materialism.

how you guys think ?

:)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've collected every pressing of one of my favorite bands and then the older I got the more I released how ridiculous it is. I mean its fun to do but honestly having like 15 or more copies of the same band is pointless. So I sold most of them off and just bought a shit ton of other records.

That being said if its a band I really like I will wait and try and find one copy of that record I really want. If there's a current press of all black and an oop of color and its witin my means ill go for the color. But if its just a whatever band like radiohead or something then any copy is fine.

Guest duhpunk

It depends on who it is. If it's a band I really like, then sure, I'd like to get a collection, as long as it's not ridiculous. I've seen collections of Alk3, HWM, and AM! that just absolutely blow my mind. I wouldn't want 20 copies of one record.

Guest duhpunk
The only band I collect is Alkaline Trio. I decided not to be a completist and just buy things as I find them. I didn't buy all the recent represses and really only have my sights set on the originals at this point. I guess that makes me a collector, but not a completist if that makes sense.

http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249&start=2055#544736

this is ridiculous.

I don't collect variants. I'd rather spend my money on having a bunch of different albums to listen to. It always makes me a little sad to see kids with <100 records and half of them are doubles.

That said, I can totally see the appeal, and I like looking at peoples' massive variant pics as much as anybody else.

i have pretty much 3 bands i collect really hardcore variantwise (btmi, am!, and atom and his package) but at the same time i have thousands of albums between cds + vinyl. I don't see the huge deal people make out of it... what do i care what you spend your money on... if it makes you happy.. go nuts

i have a handful of bands i collect. only like 3 or 4 that i collect hardcore and 2 of those bands dont really put out many variants (thanks fat!) so its not really that difficult for me. My other collections i occasionally work on are of bands no one knows/cares about so i cant really sell them to make money (bands like Whatever, connie dungs, straight faced...)

Recently i started trading/selling some of the rare colored records by bands i dont actively collect. By doing so i raised about $800 or so and just bought common presses of everything i sold. Plus i was able to buy shit tons of new records that i have wanted for a while.

Overall i dont have any issues with people collecting all the variants but as i grow older i find it harder and harder to buy the same album over and over again.

i think if your going to collect a certain band, then you should have all the variants, it wouldnt really feel complete if you didnt

what? why is it not considered a complete collection if you don't have all of the variants? i think that having all of the records, be them on colored vinyl or not, constitutes having a complete collection.

i think if your going to collect a certain band, then you should have all the variants, it wouldnt really feel complete if you didnt

what? why is it not considered a complete collection if you don't have all of the variants? i think that having all of the records, be them on colored vinyl or not, constitutes having a complete collection.

I agree completely.

Guest drahtuos
i think a really large collection of different records is much more impressive than owning a bunch of variants.

someone who solely focuses on collecting different records rather than variants of the same records is always going to have more music to choose from than someone who focuses on variants even if they aren't always buying variants. so i agree a really large collection of different records is more impressive than owning a bunch of variants if the same time and money are put into each collection.