Top 5 favorite films

I have a hard time believing anyone can love Naked Lunch or Escape From LA (I can understand enjoying EFLA because it is so laughable awful - a la The Long Kiss Goodnight).

Fucking typewriters and shit.

You are nuts. Cronenberg rules. Carpenter is hit or miss but when dude is on he rules. Also if you even slightly take EFNY seriously you missed the point.

I've never seen Naked Lunch, but I find it improbable that anyone could make a watchable movie out of it because that book was the fucking worst thing I have ever read. Hands down, no hyperboles here. That book was awful.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are nuts. Cronenberg rules. Carpenter is hit or miss but when dude is on he rules. Also if you even slightly take EFNY seriously you missed the point.

I've never seen Naked Lunch, but I find it improbably that anyone could make a watchable movie out of it because that book was the fucking worst thing I have ever read. Hands down, no hyperboles here. That book was awful.

Sounds like the movie was faithful to the book then.

Guest drahtuos

I've never seen Naked Lunch, but I find it improbable that anyone could make a watchable movie out of it because that book was the fucking worst thing I have ever read. Hands down, no hyperboles here. That book was awful.

i read some of naked lunch, but i'm not much of a reader and that book is difficult so i didn't read all of it. i liked what i did read though. if anyone is capable of translating naked lunch to film it's cronenberg, i will see naked lunch soon and i'm sure i will enjoy it when i do.

you've clearly never read;

[image]

but don't worry, they're making a movie of it!

... and Peter Jackson is directing it. He's never read the book either, I'm guessing.

you better move to LA if you want a job in film for realsies

There's other places to get jobs in film, it just realllllllly depends on who you know, where you know them, and what you want to do. I just want to write films. Period. if I were to get the itch to work on a set or on the pre-production aspect, I would want to do so on "independent" cinema, which doesn't really exist, but where it does, Chicago & now Michigan (which is the fastest growing place for film outside of LA currently due to their massive tax breaks).

But yeah, if I wanted Hollywood (which I don't) I would be an idiot not to move out there. Also, if I decided I wanted to write for television, I'd need to move out there.

you've clearly never read;

[image]

but don't worry, they're making a movie of it!

... and Peter Jackson is directing it. He's never read the book either, I'm guessing.

Naked Lunch and Lovely Bones are both great books. Unconventional sure but still great. Yowza. However I can see how dude's wouldn't enjoy Naked Lunch the film, but it doesn't somehow mean Cron isn't an amazing director.

you better move to LA if you want a job in film for realsies

There's other places to get jobs in film, it just realllllllly depends on who you know, where you know them, and what you want to do. I just want to write films. Period. if I were to get the itch to work on a set or on the pre-production aspect, I would want to do so on "independent" cinema, which doesn't really exist, but where it does, Chicago & now Michigan (which is the fastest growing place for film outside of LA currently due to their massive tax breaks).

But yeah, if I wanted Hollywood (which I don't) I would be an idiot not to move out there. Also, if I decided I wanted to write for television, I'd need to move out there.

good luck with want you want to do! entertainment business is ruthless, even in the independent sector.

i really really really want to work for pixar, which is like 25 minutes away from my hometown. i'd also be down to work at skywalker ranch or lucasfilm, all in the bay area.

OK GOD SORRY

lol it's cool

i fear that if i do end up going into the film business, i'd have to make the dreadful move down south.

i worked in a video store for 3 years, this is the truth.

oh, i believe it!

i like most movies with any of all of the following: zombies, an insane amount of blood, stupid teenagers getting killed in hilarious ways, wes anderson, bruce campbell, and a dry sense of humor.

seriously, if i lived in PA i would totally ask you out.

Fight Club

The Royal Tenenbaums

Evil Dead II

Dead Alive

Shaun of the Dead

...I feel like Star Wars is in it's own category of awesomeness for me.

so agreed on star wars. we have a few in common

1. children of men

2. m

3. pulp fiction

4. the royal tenenbaums

5. fight club

with there will be blood and seven coming in with honorable mentions

good luck with want you want to do! entertainment business is ruthless, even in the independent sector.

why thank you, sir.

Naked Lunch and Lovely Bones are both great books. Unconventional sure but still great. Yowza. However I can see how dude's wouldn't enjoy Naked Lunch the film, but it doesn't somehow mean Cron isn't an amazing director.

I hated Lovely Bones. I liked the premise of it, I think that part is very intriguing, but it just didn't do it for me. I found the sentences trite and things boring and predictable. The strange thing is, I can't think of another book I hate, there are books I've disliked, but never one this much. I think it could also have to do with the fact that I had to read it and write an eight page critical analysis of it. YAWN.