broadway calls "good views, bad news"

Look at me I have the new Broadway Calls.

Look at me I have the new Portugal. The Man.

I'm cool. I'm in the scene. Let me tweet about it. Look at me.

I'm a whiny bitch who cries over the littlest thing and assumes everyone has motives involving bragging instead of giving fans a heads up that a record is really good.

And for the record I'd kill to hear the new P.TM but I was still stoked to read that it was good. Just makes me look forward to it more. I'm just not prone to pointless jealousy I guess.

Guest genericinsight

Loki, who can you let me know (via PM maybe) who to go to for promos at SD1? If reviewers are getting them, I'm curious about getting one for my radio show.

Look at me I have the new Broadway Calls.

Look at me I have the new Portugal. The Man.

I'm cool. I'm in the scene. Let me tweet about it. Look at me.

You name it, i've heard it before you.

I saw Broadway Calls do an 18 minute monologue from the AMC television series Breaking Bad. Boo-yah.

I don't think this kind of thread does much other than encourage people to download the album once it leaks. "Giving the fans a heads up" is laughable.

Guest genericinsight

You name it, i've heard it before you.

I saw Broadway Calls do an 18 minute monologue from the AMC television series Breaking Bad. Boo-yah.

I don't think this kind of thread does much other than encourage people to download the album once it leaks. "Giving the fans a heads up" is laughable.

I don't necessarily think that's true. People are going to look for advance leaks and downloads regardless of they've heard from folks with promos if it's good or not. Not saying it's right, but it's how it goes.

I have a radio show and yes, I do get a lot of pre releases and promos and free music. And I play songs on my show from those releases I get from labels because that's what they send me all those CD's for. If I get an advance copy of a CD and the PR/label has sent it to me specifically for radio play, that's what I'm going to do. Sometimes during the show, I can't help but say something to the affect of "That was band X with song so-and-so from their brand new record X, I personally think the record is fantastic and highly recommend folks picking it up when it comes out". It's obvious someone who is involved in some sort of media is going to say something about a record they've heard that they really like, sometimes it's inevitable.

Maybe it's because I do see it from the "media" point of view of things but it's just something that's going to happen, and again, people ARE going to look for leaks of records regardless if someone who does a radio show or writes for a webzine says the record is good. As long as we're not actually sending the material out into the wild like the labels/PR companies trust us not to, I don't see the harm in saying "This record is so good, get stoked for it".

Side One doesn't seriously care about leaks... if they did, they wouldn't be sending out promos three months early. Why fight what you can't stop? Them, and the other "smarter" labels already know their energy is much better spent on trying to convince people to listen to the band, see them at a show, and maybe pick up a cd or vinyl if they want to support the band.