Some questions about vinyl if I may.

I wonder if a few of you would be so good as to answer a few of my questions. I'm writing an article about vinyl and would love some more opinions.

[apologies if some of your answers overlap]

1. Why do you buy vinyl as opposed to other physical formats?

2. What advantages does vinyl hold over mp3 files?

3. Would you pay to download an mp3?

4. Why do you think vinyl is growing in popularity?

5. Is vinyl cool? [Do you think that buying vinyl is a hipper, more scenester thing to do than downloading or buying CDs? Do you think that more people are buying vinyl because it is perceived to be the product of choice of musos, perhaps when they care little about sound quality or larger artwork?]

6. Why do people have the urge to collect different pressings?

Any feedback is welcomed. Thanks.

You buy a vinyl record and it's still worth the 8-12 bucks you paid for it most of the time. You buy a cd or mp3....instally it's worth nothing.

What's better for art work? A 12by12 record sleve or a 400by400pixel jpg?

Yes if that's all the band releases.

Why wouldn't it? No one wants Cds anymore and you can't really have a 'collection' of mp3s. Oh guys come over here and check out my sweet external hard drive!!!!!

5. Is vinyl cool?

It's ice cold.

Well, it has to due with their small dicks....ahh I kid...it's like anything else seriously. Some people just have to catch them all!

Bigger artwork and (most of the time) better sound quality than CDs.

Better sound quality. Period.

If it was the only way to get a particular song and support the band, yes.

Unfortunately, yes.

5. Is vinyl cool?

Nothing is cool.

OCD.

Guest kevinb
I wonder if a few of you would be so good as to answer a few of my questions. I'm writing an article about vinyl and would love some more opinions.

5. Is vinyl cool?

1.) Visual as well as tangible, I used to collect cd's and it is just a step up for me. It forces you to sit down and listen and read the lyrics and really enjoy the music the way it was supposed to be enjoyed. It definitely makes it more but to have to hunt harder to find vinyl, as opposed to cd's as well as frustrating.

2.)better sound, again something physical and tangible you can hold in you're hands.

3.)No I would not, if I already own the album on vinyl no way in hell am I paying for an mp3 too. I will sometimes dl the mp3 before buying an LP.

4.)Vinyl is growing because of value, superior sound, hipsters,decrease in cd sales, and overall it is superior to all formats and alot of bands are pressing their albums on vinyl weather it be the increase in sales or they themselves are vinyl fans.

5.)Yes of course, read previous answers

6.)It's just like collecting cards,comics,prints,action figures,ect.

Some people are into in more for the collecting aspect

I'm trying to figure out why you would need to ask a 2,500+ member message board called "Vinyl Collective" if they thought vinyl was "cool".

To put it in a more specific context: Do you think that buying vinyl is a hipper, more scenester thing to do than downloading or buying CDs? Do you think that more people are buying vinyl because it is perceived to be the product of choice of musos, perhaps when they care little about sound quality or larger artwork?

For years i bought CDs then when the iPod came out i realized that every CD I had would just be ripped to my portable device and then put on the shelf forever. Even my favorite albums that I've had on CD forever, I haven't touched the actual disc in years. Absolutely felt like I was wasting my money on CDs, so I started wasting my money on LPs instead. Tons of albums aren't available on both formats, and more often than not, the music will be pressed on wax before a proper CD release is made.

mp3s are not nearly as genuine. the whole boom of audio exchange through the internet is an amazing thing, and opens up tons of doors for bands who would otherwise not have the means to publicize themselves to strangers on the other side of the country. but to have one's music be based on an mp3 "collection" is crap. people stop actually caring about the music theyre "listening to" and will instead just download everything labeled as "pop punk" or "hardcore" in order to inflate their clout. i hope their harddrives crash.

Never have, but that may change. labels like Robotic Empire have now been doing digital-only releases for music that has some small market of demand but not enough that would warrant a full pressing process. an effort like that would warrant the few dollars for a download.

i guess to some it's a "fad," but many people are genuinely interested in the community. also like i said before, thanks to things like the iPod, CDs are becoming obsolete, and nobody wants to pay 16 dollars for something that they will just rip to their iTunes and then put on the shelf. i'm sure there's a lot of people who will still sell off all of their accumulated records in 3-4 years' time to fund the next thing that they're into, but most people who do it are sincere music fans, and this is the format they prefer.

5. Is vinyl cool?

dumb question.

i think it is some kind of OCD/completist thing. lots of people will shell out extra money here and there to pick up some "special" version of a record they really like. even i do. but when a record is pressed on four different colors at once, and someone just picks up all four because, "well they were there, and i really need to prove how much i love this band," then that's kinda lame. thats why every month there's a dozen threads selling off 8 versions of Goddammit and 16 versions of Reinventing Axl Rose. for some folks, i know that there is a joy in the hunt of seeking out those limited pressings of records, but i think the "tradelist mentality" where people are constantly keeping tabs on what they do and don't have will push those obsessive-compulsive buttons in some folks' heads, making them feel like they MUST pick up every version of this record, or else they're not collecting as well as they should be.

To put it in a more specific context: Do you think that buying vinyl is a hipper, more scenester thing to do than downloading or buying CDs? Do you think that more people are buying vinyl because it is perceived to be the product of choice of musos, perhaps when they care little about sound quality or larger artwork?

absolutely. youve gotta have something sweet to shove in that messenger bag. cue: "vinyl."

I just enjoy it more, All aspects of its construction are just simply better. The Artwork is bigger and it feels nice in your hand. Owning a vinyl record makes you feel like you have something worth more than the music on it. To me a record is a physical thing an object in its own right, where as a CD is more of a vessel to carry music. When you buy a record, you pay for the record. When you buy a CD you are just paying for the music on it. As mentioned above by whatails, Once i get a CD, i rip it and never touch it again, with a record i keep going back to it.

Other than what i mentioned above about the record being more tangible and aesthetically pleasing, I think you appreciate music on a record more than an MP3. Listening to a record is almost ritualistic, its an event. wheres as MP3's are something you stick on while running or doing something else. I am no audiophile by any means and play my records on a beat up turntable through shitty speakers, but it still sounds "better", i dunno...like warmer. i cant really describe it its just nicer. You also have the whole culture around vinyl, like the collectors angle but also the tips and tricks you pick up and share.

I don't like to, if i want the MP3 on my ipod i will generally buy the CD over pay for a download. If i already own the record i will download it form a free source, if i cant find a free source then i would buy it again on CD. Saying that i have paid for MP3's before and would again if it was the only means to get that song/songs.

I think its just a response to the disposibility of music nowadays, because music is readily available from every where. Places like Myspace, Youtube, torrents and P2P. sharing people no longer have to buy record or a CD to hear them, and i think it is all the added things vinyl has to offer that attracts people to the medium, it makes it fell special. That is also why tickets sales and merch sales are increasing, people feel the need to give something back to the artist/band but don't necessarily have to buy the music so the money goes else where so that that person can feel connected with band and the scene.

5. Is vinyl cool? [Do you think that buying vinyl is a hipper, more scenester thing to do than downloading or buying CDs? Do you think that more people are buying vinyl because it is perceived to be the product of choice of musos, perhaps when they care little about sound quality or larger artwork?]

I don't think so. I suppose you could consider it cool, especially with its recent resurgence, but ultimately it is just an alternative way of getting music that certain scenes such as the punk/HC/Indie worlds have adopted. If you look at most collectors, my self included, are very uncool in there vinyl habits and a lot of the collectors from all generations do not fall in the "scenester" or "hipster" stereotype. I think it depends what area of vinyl collecting you are looking at.

Its very much to do with completism(sp?), and wanting to have it all... have a complete set, i mean it is a collection after all. I Also think it is to have something to feel proud of and that other people admire (or be jealous of) like a form of one-upmanship. It is also a way to make what might be readily available records that little bit more special. its kind of the "Bling" of the record collecting world. Also i think people just like the thrill of the hunt.

I buy the majority of my records used, so it usually only runs me $6-10, and I am getting a better quality product than a cd or mp3 with artwork, and it is a more involved process listening to the record, having to put the needle on, flip it over, etc. It makes listening to music a less passive experience.

Basically what I said above, it has physical artwork and provides the listener with a more involved experience. Additionally, not that I'm looking to bank off my collection currently, but should I ever grow out of the music I buy, much vinyl increases in value. Whereas with mp3s, you cannot sell back.

Probably not. If a band does not have the drive or resources to put out their material on a physical format, then they should not fault me for not having the resources to purchase their digital only release. I'd say that any band has the time to burn me a cd and throw it in the mail, and I'd throw them a couple bucks for it, and if they don't care enough to do this, then why should I care enough to pay for it?

Mostly because it's the in thing to do, and labels see a market for it, and know they can profit, so the labels are pressing more vinyl. Also, possibly people are getting sick of digital releases.

I'd definitely think it's considered hip right now. I have a friend who doesn't own a record player, but he recently bought a vinyl LP at a show because it came with a digital download, so he could still listen to it. I'm actually not sure whether he did this because it was hip or he figured it wasn't much different than buying a cd, but either way, I'd still say it's a hip thing right now.

This I can't tell you for sure because I certainly don't. I'd assume it's the same reason people collect anything though. Possibility of you collection increasing in value, and you possessing something valuable. Also it is a hobby. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is real OCD aspect to it. If you look at a few of the vinyl collectors on this site, they also seem to compulsively buy things like prints.

I feel like vinyl is forever. It seems like the best way to archive something. I also have a connection to vinyl as that's how I listened to music when I was a child, before CDs took over.

You actually own something. You can see it sitting on the shelf and say 'Hey! that's mine!." I also think that vinyl allows you to really listen to a record. You sit down, you put the record on, you pay attention. MP3s are background noise at work, though they are very handy.

No. I do not think having an MP3 means you have anything. I need a physical format. i wouldn't pay for air, so I will not pay for an MP3. That being said I am absolutely against downloading albums for free and not buying a physical product. I think bands and labels deserve your money.

Someone decided it was cool, and many more have follewed suit. It's the same with any fad. I do not expect it to last forever, and I'm just enjoying it while it lasts. There were some pretty bleak times in the late 90s early 2000s where it seemed like NO ONE put out 7"s anymore. I'm very happy that's changed and I hope it lasts.

Yes, I think it 100% a fad right now. It's a fad I can get behind and it makes it a great time to be a record collector, but again, fads come and go and while I'm sure there will still be plenty of record collectors, I don't expect there to be as many as there are right now. All you need to do is look in the Sale section of this board and see the "Selling Entire Collection" threads ythat have people unloading all of their records that they only bought in the last year.

This is something that you cannot explain to someone that doesn't get it. I think some people are just born with a gene that makes them this way. It's like OCD in a way. I do not know why I need to have 5 different versions of the same Drive Like Jehu record, but I do. I can't not have them.

1] theres several reasons, I like the idea that I have a hard copy of music. Mp3s are.. well data. A cd is just data imprinted on aluminum foil. I enjoy the thrill of the 'hunt' for rare/oop records. I honestly enjoy the different colors that come up on records. Not to mention its fun getting packages lol :P as many people mentioned, having a high quality album art is always a plus.

2] sounds quality on an MP3 is so limited. On vinyl its not. Also, its a security thing. I know that my vinyl collection doesnt need to be backed up every few weeks.

3] I have only a few times. Its kind of an empty feeling after. Like I just paid for 1's and 0's

4] I think it has a lot to do with being able to hold onto a physical copy of music.

5] I dont think its necessarily cool thing to do. Most people I talk to about it think its fascinating, but I've never inspired anyone to run out and buy vinyl.

6] From personal experience.. its just love for the band/album. Its a hobby.. I am sure a lot of people do it so they can turn around and sell the set for cash. I think everyone has their own opinions on why the collect all the variants of a record. Mine is just love of the band.

Why do you buy vinyl as opposed to other physical formats?

>Tapes are stupid and sound like shit. CDs are boring pieces of plastic, and the mastering tends to be really, really bad. Also, bigger artwork, and the fact that they tend to maintain their value, or even go up, is good too.

>Mp3s are lossy. Vinyl, unless mp3 sourced (hopefully people are smart enough not to do this), is a pure wave form on vinyl, so this will sound better on a good system. Coming from an audiophile perspective, vinyl sounds brilliant, but to get the most out of it, you're going to have to spend money. CDs can sound good, but normally don't because of mastering. And the distortion of the vinyl is what adds to the "warmth" of the format. And this distortion is far more pleasant than digital distortion, which is very harsh. Mp3s will NEVER sound good. Even the best 320kbs will sound worse than vinyl on a decent system. If you want digital files, FLAC is the way to go. But then again, where's the fun in that?

>Never in a million years. If a band or label is too cheap to make a physical format for me to buy, then I don't want their music. Like another poster said, I'd rather have a CDR than some mp3s.

>It's trendy, and as with all trends, will go away. And that's when I'll buy a bunch of used records for cheap. It won't last much longer, but maybe a few people will find that they really enjoy collecting and stick with it.

>First off, I've been collecting for 15 years. Long before it was "cool". Now, is it cool? Yes, right now I guess. But like I said, these people will not be around in a year or two. Then I'll buy their shit for cheap.

>To me, different pressings is a UK vs. US vs. Japanese pressings. I would imagine you're referring more to the different colors of the same album. With the former, usually 70s and 80s UK pressings sound better than US because of the quality of vinyl they're stamped on, and better mastering techniques. I always upgrade to UK pressings when I can. As far as more current colors, I'm happy with the rarest pressing. I don't know why, but it is more desirable to have something that either other people want, or not very many people own. Collecting every color is tedious, but it's fun when you find an earlier pressing, or a color you just don't have. I relegate this ONLY to my favorite bands. Which, anymore, only press on black anyway. But it is kind of a waste if they just sit on a shelf. But this can be said for most anything that's collected.

]I wonder if a few of you would be so good as to answer a few of my questions. I'm writing an article about vinyl and would love some more opinions.

- coz it looks and sounds better. holds value better too.

- see answer 1

- only if the mp3 was the ONLY way to get the file. torrents and blog sites tend to negate this necessity though

- i think people are getting back to having a tangible product, something that actually MEANS something. mp3s mean nothing to people that are VERY into music

- i think some people jump on bandwagons as they do in any 'scene', but i would think that due to its expensiveness, people that regularly listen to and buy vinyl are in it for the sound quality and artwork. the occasional listener, maybe not, but once they HEAR the vinyl, they'll soon become a fanatic.

- not sure about this. probably something to do with completing collections. bragging rights maybe? not me though

1. Holds its value better, larger artwork, looks cool carrying it.

2. Better sound quality, that's it.

3. Yes, only if a LP is not available or too expensive, like something from overseas.

4. A rift is starting, those who want to collect music are moving to vinyl, those who just want music for convenience are moving to MP3. Cds are crap and people are realizing this and a choice must be made, do I love music and want to collect it, or do I just want something on my ipod.

5. Is vinyl cool? YES! [Do you think that buying vinyl is a hipper, more scenester thing to do than downloading or buying CDs? YES Do you think that more people are buying vinyl because it is perceived to be the product of choice of musos, perhaps when they care little about sound quality or larger artwork? YES]

6. The mindset of a collector, a collector of any medium, is a strange mystery.

My Dad was a vinyl collector and I grew up worshiping the cover art and sound. A lot of times, the vinyl version would be less expensive than a CD and you would get bigger artwork, maybe poster, inserts, and richer/warmer sound. It's a no-brainer really. Not to mention that some things are only available on vinyl. The seven inch single is a thing of beauty. You usually get exclusive artwork and a real intimate connection to the music.

You can't see or hold an mp3. I won't lie, I like having my iPod and usually have both versions.

Yes, but not very often. My wife wanted "Halo" by Beyonce, and there was no way in hell I was buying that CD or LP, so iTunes got my 99 cents.

It's not. It's always been there. It's just that now there are message boards and wikis and the labels are feeding into it a little heavy at the moment, but it has ALWAYS been there. I bought Warrant and Cinderella on vinyl in junior high. Cyndi Lauper and Prince on (purple)vinyl in the 4th grade

5. Is vinyl cool?

Sadly, no.

To look "cool" to other record collectors.