PreOrder: Paint it Black - New Lexicon 2nd Press!

It just seems to make sense. I could be totally wrong, but I would think it would be more cost-effective for the label to mix the blue and green inbetween the individual colors than just mix them for a short run of first press copies.

I highly doubt thats the case...

I'm not saying it's a conspiracy or anything, but isn't it odd that the most limited color of the first press combines the two colors from the second press?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning Know-It-Alls -

I probably shouldn't even bother posting since you all seem to already know everything there is to know about me, my life, my label, and how to release records. But, I'll give it a shot.

- I'm going to ship the PIB repress as well as other LPs in mylar poly sleeves with the vinyl/dust jacket shipped OUTSIDE the LP jacket (inside the poly sleeve) from now.

- I absolutely hate printed inner sleeves and would never have done one because they rip, no matter what you do, but the band and the artist insisted as it was part of an aesthetic they were trying to achieve. (I won't ever do another one unless same situation happens where it's important to a band to have one). As said above, the vinyl/dust sleeve will be outside of the jacket, in poly sleeve, but I'll bet the inner sleeve rips anyway during shipping cause of the weight of the vinyl moving even 1 mm or 1 cm. I think taking the vinyl out of the inner sleeve as well probably isn't the best idea, though. So I think I'll risk the inner sleeve instead of the vinyl.

- I did BLACK vinyl cause it matches the layout and the overall aesthetic of the release. ....And? Because I fucking wanted to. Same reason with the GO IT ALONE record referenced - BLACK vinyl suited that band and that release well. "Black/grey swirl would have looked amazing" - shit, my bad, should have consulted you first. Sorry that me and the band (GIA) generally hate "crazy" vinyl, especially on such a classy looking layout.

- Rivalry has never done an LP pressing larger than 2000 LPs, because we've never had a release that warranted it (my bad, my label sucks - we're still just a small DIY punk label). It usually takes us at LEAST 3-6 months to sell the first 1000, then I make 1000 more and it takes 3 years to get through the 2nd press. Usually the last 100 of the 2nd pressing are stragglers and end up sold at like $2 to get rid of them. So... Yes, I've been pressing an appropriate amount in the 1st pressings (in response to the know-it-all telling me to press more for the 1st pressing). That said, I knew PIB would be a bit bigger. So I did 1500, figured that would last for 3-6 months, and would then repress. Well, it sold a bit quicker than I imagined, so I repressed it so kids could still buy the record, at the request of the band.. and... because I fucking wanted to?

- No, know-it-alls..... The blue/green swirl isn't "really" part of a 2nd press or vice versa. The 1st pressing was done in December/January, as listed in our discography. And now I'm doing a repress of 500 GREEN, 1000 BLUE. "Funny that they match, weird coincidence?" Yeah, "weird". Because I'm a vinyl nerd and try to match my vinyl colors with layouts at all times. So yeah, it all matches.

- Know-it-alls, you all seem to have some really great ideas and think you can do all kinds of shit better than me or anyone else? I've got an idea too - start your own label and do it better. I'm not being a dick or sarcastic, I'm serious. Do it. .....I mean, that's what I did?

- You all DO realize that Rivalry is just a DIY label that I do after work in my garage, right? And... that there are no employees, no paychecks, no interns, no nothing. It's just 1 dude, literally not a single other person. ...So much for that burgeoning business and capitalism you thought you had pegged, huh? ....Maybe that's specifically why PIB personally asked me to do their record for them, hmmmmm.....?

- To go along with that - you DO realize I don't give a fuck about "customer service" and "the customer is always right mentality". Sure, I don't mind helping out someone with a complaint or responding to an email - no biggie. My point though is this: I don't do this for a job/living, nor do I want/intend to - though if you ask around, I'll bet most people think that I do it for a living and do a pretty good job of it. So I legitimately couldn't care less if you order from me or not. "I'll never order from you again" - Dope, no problem, I couldn't care less - only order from me if you want to and enjoy the music I'm putting out - cause god knows that's the only reason I'm doing it - cause I dig the music on that slab of vinyl. To go with that, there's no way I'm going to subscribe to some retail store mentality of "the customer is always right". If want to make a run at me via email, expect it right back, and most likely expect something fairly spiteful and insidious in return in an attempt to actually make your shitty little plight WORSE. But... email me with a nice email, and I'll be glad to hit you back, shoot the shit about cool records or whatever, and be a general normal DIY hardcore punk kid just like all the rest of you.

- "ryanwood" - you seem to know so much about me for a 20 year old kid from Atlanta, living almost 3000 miles away from me? Did you hear all that about me on all of those DMX, Strung Out, Jack Johnson, and Alkaline Trio records you've been listening to? Or maybe you heard it from Tyra Banks while watching America's Next Top Model?

Truth zone: You don't shit about me, kid. I know exactly where you got your "info" from, and those folks open their mouths a little too much and don't fully grasp what they're talking about.

Bottom line: This year - I've released a PIB LP, a TFS 7", Rivalry showcase 2007 DVD (working on the 2008/Allegiance last show DVD now). Verse LP coming in June. TFS is working on another 7" already. Soul Control records for a new full length CD/LP in a few months. Another Breath is writing another record. And all of my friends are starting new bands that sound like sex. So.... Looks like maybe you were dead wrong eh? Again, you don't shit about me, kid - despite feeling you have a very credible source for your info - those people were mistaken and never understood me anyway. If they were real friends, they wouldn't open their mouths so much.

That's it. I'm sure I missed some and you've all got some more runs at me to make in a public forum. So, I don't want to interrupt all that..... Have fun.

Kyle.

PS - I'm going to save us all some time and put in the fill-in-the-blank reply that I'm sure all you dimwit stand-up comedians will try to make:

"LOL at how much time he put into that. no one's going to read that garbage"

cool, you're right, no one will. joke made. let's move on, i don't want to read 55 of those "jokes".

scoreboard.

Kyle.

It's the internet, kids are going to talk shit.

The Verse hoodie I ordered from Rivalry though, is the most comfortable one I have :)

No prob. I love this stuff, it makes me laugh. "It's the internet, Kyle's going to talk shit back". Same argument. "Hey, I'm just sayin....". Love that argument too. "Cool, I'm 'just sayin' right back!" No biggie, right?

For real though - Glad you like your Verse hoodie, man. Thank you for the order and thanks for supporting Verse, too.

Person in Vallejo - good luckin out, maybe I'll take you up on that sometime!

Person saying it was directed at whole board - nah, it was directly at the specific folks who had specific "concerns" that I addressed in the post. Why would it be directed at someone who said something neutral/positive? Definitely just responding to those folks who had something to say. "Just sayin".

kyle, keep doing your thing and ill keep buying. i still regret selling that turning point test press to you last year but i needed the cash bad and you helped me out in a major way. however, you have essentially made the cash back from me. since i guess im a sucker for your "shitty, rip off label"

case in point:

7"

Champion/Betrayed Split Rivalry Records Red/Orange Splatter

Go It Alone Histories Single Rivalry Records Purple

Go it Alone/Blue Monday Split Rivalry Records Blue/Black Swirl

Internal Affairs/Allegiance Split Malfunction Records/Rival Records

Killing the Dream s/t Rival Records Clear

More to Pride This Is Life Rivalry Records Blue

Red Handed s/t Rivalry Records Record Release Yellow

Soul Control s/t Rivalry Records Green/Yellow Swirl

The Damage Done City of Hope Rival Records Orange

The First Step Connection EP Rivalry Records White

lp

Allegiance Overlooked Rivalry Records Black/Yellow Swirl

Allegiance Desperation Rivalry Records Black/Gold Swirl

Another Breath Mill City Rivalry Records Blue/Grey Swirl

Betrayed Substance Rivalry Records White

Go It Alone Histories Rivalry Records Black

Go It Alone The Only Blood Between Us Rivalry Records Grey

Killing the Dream In Place Apart Rivalry Records Pink/Black Swirl

Paint it Black New Lexicon Rivalry Records Black

Red Handed Wounds Remain Rivalry Records Purple w/Black/Yellow Splatter

Soul Control Involution Rivalry Records Red/Yellow Swirl

The First Step What We Know Rivalry Records Pink

Verse From Anger and Rage Rivalry Records Red/Yellow Swirl

Verse Rebuild Rivalry Records Gold

non rivalry vinyl

Go It Alone Vancouver Gold Straight On Records Gold

Allegiance s/t Anchor Records

Another Breath Not Now, Not Ever Assault Records

I'm pretty sure a solid chunk of my collection is Rivalry stuff too, matt. I've ordered from Kyle way too many times to remember and not once have I had an issue. Kyle is a great kid. Also I'm stoked about you guys releasing the new Verse LP. I saw that they have stuff on the Bridge Nine store and was a little disappointed, thinking that they'd be fully leaving Rivalry.

I'm pretty sure a solid chunk of my collection is Rivalry stuff too, matt. I've ordered from Kyle way too many times to remember and not once have I had an issue. Kyle is a great kid. Also I'm stoked about you guys releasing the new Verse LP. I saw that they have stuff on the Bridge Nine store and was a little disappointed, thinking that they'd be fully leaving Rivalry.

+1 for being suckers and being ripped off time and time again. i cant wait to see the bently kyle is rolling in once he's through this lucrative "industry" known as punk/hardcore records.

stoked on new soul control and verse.

I can understand not wanting the printed inner sleeve from a shipping stand point but I love the look of it and thought it complimented the layout nicely. That was pretty much my only bitch and putting them in a poly bag is also a nice addition to shipping. Hope no one gets too bent one way or the other on it.

Guest genericinsight

it should end here but I just wanted to comment... Kyle has a point about the inner sleeve ripping no matter what. I just noticed this with a record I own that I've owned for 12 years (the Texas Is the Reason LP) - printed inner sleeve, ripped on the bottom. I never noticed this before so my guess is it happened recently. Same goes for some used Police records I bought at a store a few years back, the inner sleeves are ripped to shit and it's highly unlikely whoever owned them first mail-ordered them. Case in point, any record packed with inner sleeves is going to rip eventually even if they arrive impeccable in the mail.

Kyle, I know you also probably won't post here again but if you do, I just wanted to comment that I saw Another Breath last night for the first time - this is a band that I own both of their records and play them frequently on my radio show, though was never really a fan - I bought their stuff to play them on the show since I get a lot of requests for them. And I went and checked them out, and was absolutely blown away. I can't recall the last time I've seen a hardcore band convey as much emotion as they did live - there were maybe only 30 people at the show but they played as if it was 300. Scott also told me they're writing for a new record, I'm so psyched for that. Kudos to you for working behind such an amazing band.

Guest genericinsight
^Band rules.

I'm assuming you mean Another Breath, and yeah, that says a lot for a band I previously didn't really care for to win me over with their live set. Not even that but they were such nice dudes too - Ted seemed so appreciative that I came out to the show and they didn't even care about the fact there were so few people there. Not only that, Ted and I got to talking about my radio show and Polar Bear Club came up, and even though I told him that I play both PBC and AB often, he encouraged me to play PBC more because he loved them and said they needed it. I think that's awesome when a band is humble enough to say another band needs more coverage than they do (though I'll still continue to play AB and Ted still thought it was rad that I play them at all). Apparently they're coming back down here again in a few weeks... I'll definitely make that show too.

Oh man, thanks rivalryrecords!

that just made may day, taking a nice break from a crazy work day to read all these rants. That was fun!

And for real, split seems on the inner sleeves? come on, does it really matter? I understand being upset if the cover is bent and creased but over all i dont think i have been really upset over a minor ding or split seem on an insert. Maybe im not as big of a vinyl nerd as some, but its no reason to get upset.