Hey, a PETA thread

You're the one who said "that a living being is a living being. There is a size difference between a fly and a cow, sure, so maybe that is your point. But (in my eyes) they both have the right to exist unscathed."

You're also the one who said human beings spread illness and diseases when I mentioned it in regards to flies.

So, twice you've equated humans to flies or placed size and intelligence as non-factors in an animals right to exist. I just wanted to see how far you were willing to carry out that logic.

so you're saying that I am keeping my point with all animals being equal? then you sir, are correct. although I am for the rounding up/swatting of babies. I guess that's where i diverge.

Actually, you didn't because you weren't morally torn between the baby and the fly. If you did take your reasoning to it's logical conclusion it would have been impossible, or incredibly difficult, to choose. As such you're either arguing just to argue or just attempting to make yourself believe your own rhetoric.

As for PETA, I feel much the same way. If they really cared they would make sure they don't drive cars, ride buses or sleep with their mouth open. They wouldn't eat farmed vegetables because even organic crops kill bugs in the process. All these are instances where insects are killed without discrimination and in many (like driving a car) it's not even a direct response to the insects presence, it's just an unwanted side effect.

So, does PETA really care that much about insects or is this simply an attempt to get their name in the paper? I'm guessing it's that second one and I don't want to be a part of any organization who relies on cheap media tactics (and not their core message) to get press. They did something similar with the Pike Place fish throwers not to long ago (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009352210_petavideo18m.html). Is this really the core issue of PETA or just a media grab? And at what point does an organization draw the line in the sand between what they care about and what is just to draw media? Basically, it's a small underlying issue that runs through everything that organization does and is basically why most people here can't stomach them.

so you're saying that I am keeping my point with all animals being equal? then you sir, are correct. although I am for the rounding up/swatting of babies. I guess that's where i diverge.

Actually, you didn't because you weren't morally torn between the baby and the fly. If you did take your reasoning to it's logical conclusion it would have been impossible, or incredibly difficult, to choose. As such you're either arguing just to argue or just attempting to make yourself believe your own rhetoric.

what is your definition of "morally torn". I took it was debating internally to come to a less-than-ideal outcome, so I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I wasn't torn.

I am not arguing between babies and flies, I am simply saying it makes sense for PETA to chime in and say "hey, that wasn't cool. Here is the alternative way to deal with insects".

this has been real. I have to be a productive member of society now, but fear not, I'll chime back in later perhaps.

The thing that blurs the line is whether or not it effects us, as humans.

Viruses, Bacteria, Fungi -- they're all just performing their functions on this planet. The same as a fly. The same as a tree. It just so happens that the function of many of these so called lower life forms is not compatible with human health and well being. So we kill them to neutralize the threat. Whose life is held in higher esteem? Ours? The Ebola Virus? The carrot I just ate? The termites that consume our homes, not of malice, but because we construct them with its energy source?

The answer seems pretty clear, but only because we're so incredibly biased towards self preservation at all cost do we assert this. A virus can mutate and adapt and render ineffective the best weapons our teams of scientists can throw at it. Seems it has a notion of self preservation as well. So what makes us so sure of ourselves?

PETA is a joke. I don't truly believe that a virus should be a protected species any more than I think a fly should be. But where do we draw the line, or better, how does it remain clear?

Whales? Dogs? Lab mice? Flies?

We're talking about PETA. They win. Why would they change?

That's not true. We're talking about PETA because they leave a bad taste in your mouth. Its like a bad restaurant. If you talk about to inform people it sucks, those who were going to try it probably won't. PETA takes people who could be allies and makes them indifferent and apathetic.

this is ridiculous. but its another in the list of PETA being counter-productive.

"PETA vice president Mary Beth Sweetland has diabetes and injects herself daily with insulin that was tested on animals. "

http://consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm/headline/2343

oh and these goodies:

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm/headline/2628

and i'm a vegan if that matters.

Just to clarify for Dante, he never said you had to KILL either a baby or a fly. The choice was to SAVE either one. Say they are both going to die without your intervention, which way do you go?

ok, I'll play. Good question, what is involved in my "intervention"?

It doesn't matter.. they require equal effort, but only one is possible, like all the superhero cartoon situations. Quit being difficult.

We're talking about PETA. They win. Why would they change?

That's not true. We're talking about PETA because they leave a bad taste in your mouth. Its like a bad restaurant. If you talk about to inform people it sucks, those who were going to try it probably won't. PETA takes people who could be allies and makes them indifferent and apathetic.

I agree that it's not the best way to spread your message or win friends. Definitely not. But that's not PETA's goal. Ingrid Newkirk said to USA Today “Probably everything we do is a publicity stunt ... we are not here to gather members, to please, to placate, to make friends. We're here to hold the radical line.”