Saturday night surprise (Weakerthans)

So I'm hanging out with my roommate last night and we decide to toss on some records. Why not start backwards and work my way back through the collection that way? So I start with "Even Worse" by Weird Al (which holds up like you wouldn't believe... I still remember the words over 15 years since I last listened to it) and then comes the Weakerthans. My copy of Reunion Tour isn't here, so I start with Reconstruction Site and am reminded how bummed I was when that arrived from Rough Trade with a big old ding in the corner. But it's a great album so I move on with my life.

Anyway, my copy of Left and Leaving was up next. I got it on eBay not long after I started actually buying records in earnest and was bummed to find out that I paid like $17 for a record that was still readily available from the label. Lesson learned. But I got it before I even had a record player in my apartment (about 3 or 4 years ago) so I never even opened it. In case you haven't guessed by now, the surprise alluded to in the title is this:

[image]

I only recently even learned that this version existed and was very much not please to see how much it sells for. But now I get to cross it off my list! Not a bad weekend thus far...

Anyone else have similar stories of forgotten records turning to gold in their collections? Or getting a version you weren't expecting?

Andy

This happened to me with Her Majesty: The Decemberists. I didn't recall having it on colored vinyl but when I went to put my list together I pulled it out for the first time in a while and it's on red. That was a lovely surprise. This also sort of happened with my copy of Colors of Home by Kill Creek. I ordered in from BCD and it said only the standard black pressing was available, but when I received and opened it I realized it was one of the red /150 copies. I was wicked excited! Your find is awesome, as well. I love it when this sort of thing happens!

Guest scriptedrain

Not quite on the same line but I recently bought a 7" split that I knew was out of 500 (and had been out for a while). Where I ordered it, it didn't specify a color and I knew the pressing info was 150 on white, 350 on black, and sure enough I got a white copy. Again, not the magnitude of your find, but nice either way. Awesome find!

Guest genericinsight

I think mainly when I first got into buying vinyl when I was a teenager, the two surprises I had were when I received Sense Field's "Building" and the Texas Is the Reason debut 7" in the mail from Revelation. Both were first pressings of the now ridiculously rare and hard to find color versions (SF on pink marble and TITR on green marble). I was stoked because I actually didn't realize vinyl was even made on color up until I got those records in the mail.

also when I go into a record store and buy something that I assume will be on black (i.e. a lot of times if it's colored there will be a "colored vinyl" sticker on the shrink wrap and thus I assume most of the time that the likelihood if it being black otherwise), and I open it to find its on a color. It's always a nice surprise.

Guest scriptedrain
also when I go into a record store and buy something that I assume will be on black (i.e. a lot of times if it's colored there will be a "colored vinyl" sticker on the shrink wrap and thus I assume most of the time that the likelihood if it being black otherwise), and I open it to find its on a color. It's always a nice surprise.

Yeah I love that. Like when I picked up Green Day - Warning from Virgil last month, it arrived and is on transparent green. There was no notice at the store and I had never seen it before. Awesome surprise.

I bought Coheed - IKSSE3 on white/orange on their Thursday/Thrice tour years ago and between then and now only listened to it once...and then I started to hate the band so I wanted to get rid of it...found out how much it was worth...and I was able to trade it for at least $100 worth of shit. Sick deal.

Guest baseball

Ordered Real McKenzie's-10,000 Shots from Fat a few months ago expecting a black (since the album's been out a couple years) and got a whiskey colored /235.

That was a nice surprise.

Yeah I love that. Like when I picked up Green Day - Warning from Virgil last month, it arrived and is on transparent green. There was no notice at the store and I had never seen it before. Awesome surprise.

every copy i've ever seen of this record is on clear green (i think?). awesome though, nonetheless.

So I'm hanging out with my roommate last night and we decide to toss on some records. Why not start backwards and work my way back through the collection that way? So I start with "Even Worse" by Weird Al (which holds up like you wouldn't believe... I still remember the words over 15 years since I last listened to it) and then comes the Weakerthans. My copy of Reunion Tour isn't here, so I start with Reconstruction Site and am reminded how bummed I was when that arrived from Rough Trade with a big old ding in the corner. But it's a great album so I move on with my life.

Anyway, my copy of Left and Leaving was up next. I got it on eBay not long after I started actually buying records in earnest and was bummed to find out that I paid like $17 for a record that was still readily available from the label. Lesson learned. But I got it before I even had a record player in my apartment (about 3 or 4 years ago) so I never even opened it. In case you haven't guessed by now, the surprise alluded to in the title is this:

I only recently even learned that this version existed and was very much not please to see how much it sells for. But now I get to cross it off my list! Not a bad weekend thus far...

Anyone else have similar stories of forgotten records turning to gold in their collections? Or getting a version you weren't expecting?

Andy

you fucker. sell it to me now!

I love hearing positive stories like these! All the Reckless Records stores in Chicago are really bad about notating their colored vinyl. So sometimes I'll go up with an empty sleeve expecting a black one and get a colored one instead (a couple Rumbleseat 7" that were already cheap at $3 ended up being steals as they were on colored vinyl). Of course, sometimes I feel like a jerk having to be like, "Oh... this is black... I don't want it." I guess they can deal though.

Oh and I forgot to mention... Left Or Leaving is not for sale or trade at this time. Sorry!

I never really forget what color any of my records are on and get surprised, but do enjoy ordering something and getting a surprise color or rarer pressing than i thought.

Like the Nakatomi Plaza/Latterman -Split 7" i ordered from interpunk last week was on clear and i was sure i would get the more common black version.

Guest genericinsight

So a week or two ago (around the time this thread was posted), I placed a VC order which included Look Mexico's "This Is Animal Music" LP. VC stated that the record was on black but I didn't care, plus I figured the colors were OOP or out of stock anyways since I missed it the first time around. Then this thread popped up and I thought "Wouldn't it be funny if the record ended up not being black when I get it?" but didn't count on it.

low and behold, record came today and it's the black AND cream mix inside out version! Nice surprise indeed!

I never really forget what color any of my records are on and get surprised, but do enjoy ordering something and getting a surprise color or rarer pressing than i thought.

Like the Nakatomi Plaza/Latterman -Split 7" i ordered from interpunk last week was on clear and i was sure i would get the more common black version.

same. i dont see how you could forget what color your records are on!