Cash Vs. Quality

So, as you know, I've been putting out records for the past year and I've put a lot of thought in to what I like about buying records, and I make it a point to make sure these things are a major part of the releases I put out. Though this is true, I'm not sure the same goes for everyone. I've been thinking about it a lot lately as some of the projects I'm taking on are more expensive than they the could be, but that is because I would rather put out records with the highest quality sound (180 gram), awesome packaging (gatefolds, thick stock, vellum inserts), and so on. It was kind of touched on in the Vinyl Bubble thread, but people are trying to cut back on spending obviously and I was wondering, would most people rather see records come out and be $10, but be on thin colored vinyl with a thin insert in a regular cardboard jacket, or pay $20+ for 180 gram vinyl with ridiculous packaging?

Someone like me that's a tuff one. I would answer both yes and no. It really would depend on the band...obviously the more I like the band the more cool and better packaging....but there is stuff I like, but not as much to pay extra $$$, but would buy if it was cheaper. So my vote is............

Guest afsdan

avoid the hype about 180g

sure, it sounds a little better cuz the grooves can be cut deeper, but there's really only slight difference in sound for a giant difference in price.

I like sturdy packaging. and creative packaging. I have hundreds of records that have the standard sleeve, but the ones that stand out are the ones with a little creativity.

Guest afsdan

plus, I think labels get a little hung up on package pricing through pressing plants.

do a little research, you get get inserts printed at A for X dollars, and jackets printed at B for Y dollars and it'll probably be less than getting both printed at C for Z dollars

I like getting what I pay for. I don't mind paying a higher price for something that has ridiculous packaging or whatever, but I refuse to pay $20 for a record that is standard packaging and the record itself is really light.

I like it when records/packaging are high quality, but in all honesty I just prefer things being priced accordingly to what they cost.

Guest vito
I like it when records/packaging are high quality, but in all honesty I just prefer things being priced accordingly to what they cost.

This. I cannot tell you how many records I have skipped out on because they are charging $22 before shipping for a dbl 180g gatefold. It gets expensive very quickly.

Guest naytoid

I start to get a little hesitant about buying a record when it nears the $15+ mark as I have to pay an extra $10-$15 on shipping on top of that, but that aside I like things along the line of Robotic Empire's releases, nice, but not over the top packages and a record that sounds good

plus, I think labels get a little hung up on package pricing through pressing plants.

do a little research, you get get inserts printed at A for X dollars, and jackets printed at B for Y dollars and it'll probably be less than getting both printed at C for Z dollars

I totally agree, but you've gotta take into account the fact that a records price also includes licencing and that type of thing too.

I like getting what I pay for.

This. I will pay more for something from a smaller run (<= 500 total) than I would for a title that can take advantage of the price breaks of printing 1k+ jackets, inserts, etc. (even if there's an attempt to hide this by doing 200/300/500 color splits...). I also never pay more for 180g when I know the label is using the same plates they used for the thinner stuff.

This is probably weird, but I also like it when there are multiple inserts... inserts get misplaced/misfiled over time and there's something rewarding about coming back to old record (or scoring one in the $1 bin) which still has all the inserts.

Also, cheap hand-done (but well-done) add-ons always hook me (diecuts, embossments, stamps, and so on).

I'd rather have a great record with crap packaging, than a rubbish record with amazing packaging!!!
Agree completely, but why not get a great record with amazing packaging?

$$$

Unfortunately I haven't heard your records, I should check them out, but I'm curious if your bands are putting the same effort into the recording/mixing/mastering as you put into the art/packaging/pressing? Are they going in, spending $1000 and knocking out an album in a day and a half or are they taking their time? My point being if they aren't doing a high quality recording then there is no point to spending all that money on 180 g and what not.

As far as packaging goes, I'm a minimalist. The thick gatefold stuff is nice, but I don't think most records deserve that treatment. It's a waste of money and resources. I prefer a more DIY, minimalist approach to the whole thing.

I guess another thing to consider is how much you're selling. Are you still holding on to 50%+ of the original press after a year because it's not moving or are you selling them out? If you believe you can actually mov the record then it is worth the monetary investment but if you don't see the record selling in high numbers and quickly then you should reconsider. I know this isn't about money, it's a labor of love, but if you know you're barely going to sell 500 of some LP why spend an extra $1000? Save the difference and just get the record out there.

Agree completely, but why not get a great record with amazing packaging?

$$$

Unfortunately I haven't heard your records, I should check them out, but I'm curious if your bands are putting the same effort into the recording/mixing/mastering as you put into the art/packaging/pressing? Are they going in, spending $1000 and knocking out an album in a day and a half or are they taking their time? My point being if they aren't doing a high quality recording then there is no point to spending all that money on 180 g and what not.

As far as packaging goes, I'm a minimalist. The thick gatefold stuff is nice, but I don't think most records deserve that treatment. It's a waste of money and resources. I prefer a more DIY, minimalist approach to the whole thing.

I guess another thing to consider is how much you're selling. Are you still holding on to 50%+ of the original press after a year because it's not moving or are you selling them out? If you believe you can actually mov the record then it is worth the monetary investment but if you don't see the record selling in high numbers and quickly then you should reconsider. I know this isn't about money, it's a labor of love, but if you know you're barely going to sell 500 of some LP why spend an extra $1000? Save the difference and just get the record out there.

Thanks for the thought out input!

As far as recordings go, yes, they are taking their time and doing a fantastic job on that end. I mean, the Giant Squid record was done by Matt Bayles. It's going to sound incredible.

If it wasn't recorded on analog tape, I don't care for 180 gram or heavier. Regular 120-140 gram is perfectly fine for me and a regular jacket WITH an insert is great. I tend to not buy "impulse" records when they are over $15 shipped. If I really like the album I will pay for nice packaging, but these days I am spending less and less on music so it's counteracting such purchases.

price is usually a big factor whether or not I make a purchase. I do love nice packages, but unless it's a band I'm realy into, I'm gonna skip on the record if the price is a bit high. I do appreciate nicely packaged records, but just a standard jacket and sleeve are good enough for me.

I do HATE those glossy printed sleeves though...seem to create a bit too much static which always seems to immediately attract dust...so as far as that part of packaging, please skip that part.

just one dude's opinion

I agree with the fact that it really does depend on the record. I was going to buy your Park release, regardless of the cost (unless it was something ridiculous, of course), and the fact that it was a heavy vinyl, the color matched the artwork amazingly, and the packaging was great..those were all bonuses. I wouldn't want to pay upward of 15 - 17 though for something I'm on the fence about. I think thats what it boils down to. For me at least.

Guest afsdan

just so we're clear...nice packaging does not mean it has to be expensive!!!

I have done full silkscreened covers (2 and 3 panel), with heavy vinyl (fell into the trap there for a minute), multiple inserts and a fucking CD included, and I sell my records for $7-10. my 7"'s are still $3-4

granted, nobody gives a fuck, but it is not hard to keep prices down AND make some kick ass packaging.

to the casual fan/collector/whatever you want to call them, the price is really the only thing that matters. with vinyl being somewhat of a trend now and tons of kids getting into it, they don't really care or know much about the weight of the record and the advantages that heavier weights provide. i think they tend to go for the packaging more than the sound quality. in that regard focus on the packaging over the record itself. on the same hand you could release things just to get them out, and people will buy it because there's not other options if they want it on vinyl. i think audiophiles, or people that would prefer 180g or higher are in the minority. that's from a business side of things.

personally i would opt for the sound quality over anything else. but i think $20 for a single LP is too much, regardless of the packaging or weight of the vinyl. anything more than $15 i hesitate to buy, unless it's an album i love or it's a band i collect.