I need a new way to store my vinyl...

i was gonna order a shelf cause i also have all my books in stacked milk crates as well

anyways. right now, i have 80% of my collection in a milk crate which is packed full (my collection consists of only about 100 records...i only started avidly collecting a year ago). My 10"s and 7"s i have out neatly leaned against the milk crate on either side. Then whatever else can't fit (including the giant sigur ros box set) laying in the floor next to the crate.

This has become a hazard because for one, the milk crate is full. For another, now that it is full, my cat thinks he can jump on it and stand atop all my records once a day as i quickly swat him off.

But yeah, i would like a shelf or something of the sort. But i don't know which or what to order. Any specific shelving units you guys would recommend that i might be able to find at target or something?

thanks guys,

Tommy.

there needs to be a sticky that simply says "expedit"

though in my personal opinion

although it looks nice, its certainly not the only way to go for sure.

It's just hard to beat as far as price, looks, and availability are concerned. The only other "cheap" solution is a standard bookshelf from a box store like Target and those typically can't support the weight of the LPs. Then there's the option of going with a system like Boltz's LP storage racks, which are very strong, sturdy and modular but at the same time very expensive.

ikea expedit shelves are the best record shelves you can get...

I beg to differ. There are lots of very good shelving units out there specifically designed for LPs that are better than the Expedit. The biggest selling point for the Ikea unit is it's price.

The Boltz system that I mentioned earlier is very good and sturdy.

http://www.boltz.com/showitems.asp?deptcode1=502

The Boltz system that I mentioned earlier is very good and sturdy.

http://www.boltz.com/showitems.asp?deptcode1=502

this is prohibitively expensive, especially for someone like me that has 3000+ records.

also, steel is ugly unless you are living in a barren studio with concrete flooring and brick walls. though i guess that is all a matter of opinion. i think my carpet floors are ugly too. wish i had wood floors again.

but if you like it, more power to you! for me, the ikea expedit has been great. it has survived several moves and small earthquakes. and i have 2 of 'em and they serve me well.

my current set up is great:

[image]