The story of prisoner F95488

Eric Frimpong was a rising soccer star. Now he's a convicted rapist serving jail time

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4300383

Pretty good read. I won't paste it here, because it's a long one. Just follow the link.

I think I saw this on Digg yesterday. I can't remember, but I had the link open in my browser at work this morning.

things like this make me sick.

i think it's horrible that you can be convicted of a felony like that without any physical evidence whatsoever, based soley on 'he said, she said; crap.

i recently went through almost the exact same thing with a family member and the justice system is so horrible.

one of the questions they ask the jurors when selecting them is 'would you be able to convict someone of a crime without any physical evidence?'

if you say no, they ask you to leave and you don't get to be a juror.

I'm looking skeptically at the quality of the defense lawyer. Wasn't he involved in the juror selection? Obviously in a community with only 2% black, he'd be hardpressed to find a minority to sit on the jury, but push harder for some men. 3 to 9 or whatever it was is a little slanted for a rape case.

So if you get called for Jury duty, and you get asked this question, you can say "no" and go home?

if it's related to rape/sexual assault and your state laws state that you can convict someone solely on circumstantial evidence and hearsay. that's what pennsylvania's law states.

So if you get called for Jury duty, and you get asked this question, you can say "no" and go home?

if it's related to rape/sexual assault and your state laws state that you can convict someone solely on circumstantial evidence and hearsay. that's what pennsylvania's law states.

a guy i've known most of my life was just convicted of child molestation based on that. the girl he was dating was like 7 years older than him, had a 12 yr old daughter, and the daughter and her father both hated the guy. she the father called the cops and claimed he was molesting her, she played along, and he basically had to accept a plea deal of 5-10 yrs + being a megan's law violator or face life in prison pretty much. it's shitty and i'm 100% sure he didn't do it.

I googled the story and found a piece in the Santa Barbra Independent as well. The comments were rather shocking and redundant. Everyone insists that justice was served and that Frimpong is 100% guilty. It's just odd because I always thought that our justice system was based on "shadow of a doubt". If any doubt can be raised than a person should be found not guilty. I can realize to a compassionate person that it may be possible to think Frimpong did this, but even the staunchest support would have to concede that there is clearly some doubt. Faulty memory of the girl involved, lack of DNA evidence on the girl, no signs of s physical struggle with Frimpong and the teeth marks which don't match. Something in there should raise a "shadow of a doubt".

It's really to bad because guilty or not, justice was not served.

This is one of the situations where victims rights really start to go over board. If you don't have evidence you can't send someone to jail. If you can prove a rape send the fucker to jail for life or cut his balls off with a knife. But if you can't prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt no. You can't simply take the victims word for it. The idea that men, and only men, have to figure out if the girl throwing themselves at them is drunk enough to make a smart decision is fucking ridiculous and sexist. It says women can't make choices for themselves and men have to make them for them, because if the lady wakes up and doesn't remember what she did the night before and isn't happy with the result obviously it happened against her will. She would never do something like that. After all fourteen shots makes you a mellow nun, it never makes anyone a wild ass.

When I was in high school I got black out drunk at a party and ended up fooling around with a girl more than I was comfortable with in the morning. I didn't get mad at her. I got mad at myself for crossing lines I wasn't ready to cross. By the standards we hold most women to in this country I was raped, yet I'm not stupid enough to think I was. I put myself in that position and had to deal with the consequences like an adult. If I had woken up tied up or bruised on the other hand there would at least be evidence that something had happened against my will.

In this case its an obvious case of racism. Thanks for bringing this article Kirbs, do you know if there is any place to donate to this kids legal fund?

a guy i've known most of my life was just convicted of child molestation based on that. the girl he was dating was like 7 years older than him, had a 12 yr old daughter, and the daughter and her father both hated the guy. she the father called the cops and claimed he was molesting her, she played along, and he basically had to accept a plea deal of 5-10 yrs + being a megan's law violator or face life in prison pretty much. it's shitty and i'm 100% sure he didn't do it.

it's so scary that someone can be malicious and ruin someones life like that. any girl can accuse any man that they don't like of sexual assault without any evidence and bam, life ruined forever.

my dad was a drivers ed teacher, and to make a very very long story short, he was accused by a 16 year old girl of molesting her. she had falsely accused 3 other people of assulting her like that before, was in a psychiatric clinic for an eating disorder and was heavily medicated, but none of that was allowed to be brought up because of her status as a minor. her story changed countless times, i could go on and on.

he was finally acquited, but it ruined my family's life. he even had to be hospitalized and have a stent put in his heart from all the stress.

even after the trial, the education department still has the accusations in his file, and hes on a state registry of child abusers with an 'indicated' status kept by the department of public welfare, which means that there is "substantial evidence" against him. wtf.

instead of going through another separate trial with the department of ed, he just gave up his teaching certificate and retired.

however, absolutely nothing happened to the girl who accused him. in fact, her parents hired a lawyer and she was given preferential treatment at school.

it's so scary that someone can be malicious and ruin someones life like that. any girl can accuse any man that they don't like of sexual assault without any evidence and bam, life ruined forever.

my dad was a drivers ed teacher, and to make a very very long story short, he was accused by a 16 year old girl of molesting her. she had falsely accused 3 other people of assulting her like that before, was in a psychiatric clinic for an eating disorder and was heavily medicated, but none of that was allowed to be brought up because of her status as a minor. her story changed countless times, i could go on and on.

he was finally acquited, but it ruined my family's life. he even had to be hospitalized and have a stent put in his heart from all the stress.

even after the trial, the education department still has the accusations in his file, and hes on a state registry of child abusers with an 'indicated' status kept by the department of public welfare, which means that there is "substantial evidence" against him. wtf.

instead of going through another separate trial with the department of ed, he just gave up his teaching certificate and retired.

however, absolutely nothing happened to the girl who accused him. in fact, her parents hired a lawyer and she was given preferential treatment at school.

I'm usually not one for lawsuits, but has he or your family talked to a lawyer about suing her and the family? That's a TON to give up because some lying cunt needs attention. This stuff terrifies me as a young male heading into the teaching profession, because one accusation taken seriously and you're career is fucked.

I'm usually not one for lawsuits, but has he or your family talked to a lawyer about suing her and the family? That's a TON to give up because some lying cunt needs attention.

this except add a fuck that bitch at the end.

I'm usually not one for lawsuits, but has he or your family talked to a lawyer about suing her and the family? That's a TON to give up because some lying cunt needs attention. This stuff terrifies me as a young male heading into the teaching profession, because one accusation taken seriously and you're career is fucked.

yeah. for awhile my mom was so pissed that she wanted to sue the school, this girls parents, everyone. our lawyer was really REALLY great (and still is, because 3 years later the whole thing is still going on trying to clear his name) and said we could sue them, but it would probably cost us more than we would get. that and my dad didn't even want to go through with the trial with the dept of education because of all the stress this had already caused.

the thing that pisses me off the most about the whole thing is that absolutely NOTHING happened to this girl. she was never even identified by name in the papers, so she's out there with no repurcussions at all for slandering someone and lying, free to do it again whenever she pleases. she thought the whole thing was a joke, too. in the courtroom she was snuggling with her boyfriend and kissing him. my sister and i saw some of her and her friends on the way out of the parking garage after the first day of the trial and they were hanging out of their car making faces and crude hand gestures at us.

I went to UCSB and this sort of situation happened ALL the time, and normally the cops and/or the community didn't really give a shit. It was usually written off as, "the girl was wasted and she probably consented at the moment and just regrets doing something she wouldn't normally do." Which is fucked up in its own right, but this case was a chance for the cops to make an example because the school has been focused on cleaning up IV and the image, and the school pays a portion of their payroll. I had a friend who's roommate was raped by a cab driver who picked her up when she was drunk, went somewhere, did the act and then dropped her off in a park. She went to the cops with the evidence of the kit done at the hospital in the morning, and the cab company's business card. The cops told her that having the card was not enough evidence to obtain the driving records from the cab company. Striking differences from this case...

Guest afsdan

in the courtroom she was snuggling with her boyfriend and kissing him. my sister and i saw some of her and her friends on the way out of the parking garage after the first day of the trial and they were hanging out of their car making faces and crude hand gestures at us.

holy shit I would not be able to contain my rage

Obviously the recurring moral of these stories is seal yourself up in a box and/or die. The fact that your life can be sailing along perfectly and then get completely derailed is becoming such a recurring theme that it's hard to really get optimistic about anything.

And props to Allison, because I would most certainly do something violent to that entitled, lying little snot and all of her twatish friends.

Damn. I am speechless. This is a clear example of prejudice in an affluent community and further proof that the justice system is broken and only catering to the affluent. It makes me sick.

As I was reading it, I kept remembering the West Memphis Three. Yet another example of how the system is fucked and unfair.

edit: found an FB group run by Loni Monahan: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=13238102246#/group.php?gid=13238102246

a lady that recently lost her job with our company and lost her court hearing for unemployment, called the abuse hotline and gave a report that i was molesting the kids in the house.

the local PD and sheriffs office came to investigate, they ended up closing the case saying it was "unfounded"

however, there will be no investigation into the reporting of a false claim, which pisses me off.

(we are speculating that it was that lady who made the call, but there is some evidence that she is involved)

Guest afsdan

why the fuck wouldn't they investigate a false claim?????

ahhh it frustrates me to no end! it gives no deterrent for fuckwads to NOT LIE!

It's the old economic principle, when something is free, it is abused, no matter what it is. Make there be some sort of cost (not monetary) to filing a claim - ie that if it's bullshit, you're fined or beaten or fork-stabbed or anything.

They make a risk-free phone call that can potentially ruin their lives and move on, while the other person is presumed guilty until he proves nothing happened. Bullshit.