Avid Reader? VC Community Book Reading?

I read constantly. Between work and home, some days it feels like I truly never stop reading until I fall asleep.

I saw a thread a while back about a big box of junk people ship around to each other and it gave me an idea: what if some of the avid readers on the board did something similar with a book? Someone buy the initial copy (I volunteer for that) read it, then ship it to the next person in line. In the front everyone should sign their name and list their location so as to document the travels of said book. There could also be a few loose leaf pages to document any impressions or comments -- like a discussion of sorts. Ultimately, the person that bought the book should receive it back.

Thoughts on this idea?

If supported, a vote should be had on the initial title to buy. I don't stick to any genre. I like a good mix of fiction and non-fiction -- typically memoirs. The last three books I read are:

The English Major: Jim Harrison

The Wasted Vigil: Nadeem Aslam

Sea of Poppies: Amitav Ghosh

I almost exclusively buy hard cover books since I like to keep them for my personal library. Nothing wrong with paperbacks -- just a preference.

Thoughts?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would be in for something like this, but would adapt it to say we should have a few books in circulation. sometimes it takes me a little longer to find the time to read and i dont know if i would want to wait for the X number of people ahead of me

maybe get 5-10 person "circles" and each buys person a book and the process repeats until everyone in the circle has finished each book

i would be in for something like this, but would adapt it to say we should have a few books in circulation. sometimes it takes me a little longer to find the time to read and i dont know if i would want to wait for the X number of people ahead of me

maybe get 5-10 person "circles" and each buys person a book and the process repeats until everyone in the circle has finished each book

This is what I envisioned, actually.

Everyone's schedules are different and this would help alleviate some lag time.

I'm down. The only problem with my participating in this is that I read very slowly...painfully slow. Would there be a time limit for each person to have the book? Like 1 month per person so a book could go to potentially 12 people a year?

Like murakami suggests, it might be best to have multiple going at the same time.

No fault in absorbing a good book. I typically read about 30 pages in a night before bed, so the average book takes me a little less than 2 weeks to read.

if anybody collects books like easton press kinda stuff, I have a signed Slaughterhouse Five I'm looking to unload. It was initially a gift to a girl that I had to take back.

i might be interested. i don't know what this stuff goes for and vonnegut is far from my favorite writer, but i figure that having a shitty cliche slaughterhouse five tattoo warrants that i should own a better copy of this than the one that i have.

I would be up for this if people don't mind shipping to the UK. I am always trying to force people to read the books i like!

I like the idea of the book swap/circle thing. That way everyone is reading at the same time, rather than one person reads while loads of people wait.

I think paperbacks, just because they are cheaper and cheaper to ship. But i wouldn't be put off by hardbacks.

Also i think everyone picks the book they want to send regardless of what the collective wants, that way we will be forced to read stuff we might usually not. Life is all about variety. We will need a list of books involved so we don't end up with multiples of the same book in circulation.

i also like the idea of the signing of the cover and what not. i think that everyone should try and get their original book back so they have the copy that has a story behind it.

i think paperbacks have to be the way to go, otherwise we could be limited in the selection. many of my favorites that i would consider spreading around are a little older and OOP on hardback.

as for the UK, i am not against the idea of sending stuff over the pond depending on cost. the US rate would probably be about 3-4$ a mailing via media - if one book was 8-10 to ship the world wouldnt end.

kinda getting excited about this

So it looks like there are a fair amount of people interested -- great!

joshpsmsc

murakami

josh

sal paradise

casey's playhouse

tom fraj

mcm1610

vito

and myself. That makes 9 participants. I'm going to keep bumping this until Friday to see if there are any more that want to join in.

We'll need to collectively decide on a few things, like whether or not we wish to completely ban hardback books from circulation (I obviously vote no on this) and the rotation of who is sending what to whom.

I'm excited about this.

So it looks like there are a fair amount of people interested -- great!

joshpsmsc

murakami

josh

sal paradise

casey's playhouse

tom fraj

mcm1610

vito

and myself. That makes 9 participants. I'm going to keep bumping this until Friday to see if there are any more that want to join in.

We'll need to collectively decide on a few things, like whether or not we wish to completely ban hardback books from circulation (I obviously vote no on this) and the rotation of who is sending what to whom.

I'm excited about this.

If we can get an even number of people, then we can just do a one-on-one swap. Then after those two people are done, they can jump back into the loop and get re-paired with someone else.

The pairing idea could work and may help get more books into the hands of the speedier readers faster. It's worth considering.

I have three books on my short list to read and I am purchasing two of them at lunch today:

Road Dogs: Elmore Leonard (hard)

I am Not Sidney Poitier: Percival Everett (soft)

The Help: Kathryn Stockett (hard)

I will read one which will then be the book that I send along. I had envisioned everyone reading / re-reading their own book prior to sending it along, but this is open to debate. I have several books in mind that I've already read that I would send.