Avid Reader? VC Community Book Reading?

Let's just get the proverbial show on the road. Don't overthink it. Get to matchin', drabs.

I think this requires a little more organization. For starters, we need to know who is sending what so there are no duplicates.

I'd rather take a day or two, organize, collaborate, and start something successful than rush into a good idea and ruin it.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Kennedy Toole A Confederacy of Dunces

A good friend of mine who reads as much as I do was shocked when I said I hadn't read this book.

Apparently, it's brilliant.

I'm going to ponder the details of how this could/should be done and look over my library to see what I plan on sending.

I am not new to reading books but I can't think of a book I have that the book collective hasn't read. I tend to like horror books and political literature. I think I know what my first book will be but I am not sure about after that. I was hoping that through this, I would be introduced to a lot of new books, new subjects, authors, etc.

As for paper vs. hard...hardback would hold up better over time but cost more. Paperback will deteriorate some but is more affordable...which y'all already know. I'm not opposed to having hard and paper in circulation as long has it's up to the purchaser of the book.

Top.

Would like to see 12 participants. We're at 10 so far. I'll leave it open until the weekend and then we'll just go with what we've got.

I think it would be best to split into small groups -- if 12, say, 3 groups of 4. This way there could be little mini-circles to rotate with. It will be easier to manage and track. Once the first round is complete, we can juggle the groups up and use the same books so everyone has a chance to read, or just pick new books.

We should talk of a max time allowed with the book so as to not hold up progress too much. Say, 30 days. Most novels fall between 250 - 400 pages, so if you were to read 10 pages per day, that's 30 days for a 300 page book. Seems reasonable to me, no?

I'd also reccomend a strict "bookmarks only" policy. Nothing irritates me more than dog-ears on pages. Don't have a bookmark -- a simple slip of paper or credit card receipt will suffice. Remember -- these books belong to others!

I'm looking forward to reading some books you all know / love.

My reading preferences:

Mostly non-fiction/ art, philosophy, political theory, radical anything, genealogy, religion, urban studies, race & class, labor, architecture, etc.

Not always into biographies or memoirs, but this should be fun cos it will force me to read something I wouldn't otherwise…

My fiction generally falls close to: Vonnegut, Robbins, Bukowski, Kesey, Burroughs, etc. Y'know - that kind of shit.

Can't wait to get this started!

My reading preferences:

Mostly non-fiction/ coloring books, pop-up books, picture Bibles,

Not always into biographies or memoirs, but this should be fun cos it will force me to read something I wouldn't otherwise…

My fiction generally falls close to: Seuss, Judy Blume, Berenstain Bears, Little Critters, Curious George, etc. Y'know - that kind of shit.

Can't wait to get this started!

I am in.

Another thing to consider: keep the UK shipping revolving, so every participant has to send at least one book to Tom, keeping that responsibility shared. Sorry, Tom - looks like you're always gonna have pricey shipping costs!

I'm cool with that buddy, knew i would have to when i signed up! If it's easier to stay in groups of four or whatever i don't mind paying the shipping difference.

If you want to make some kind of list, i am going to be sending "The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart"

If that's cool with everyone.

Top. Last time.

A couple of you have indicated what books you're going to send. Great!

Tomorrow morning I'll break us all down into smaller circles so we know whom we're sharing with. Everyone will need to be in contact with one another to get addresses, etc.

In the meantime, if everyone could figure out what book they're going to be sending and post it, it will help me in compiling the lists.

It's going to be good.

who gets the books at the end when everyone has already read it?

The original owner. The concept is to a) share B) open yourself up to things you wouldn't otherwise select on your own and c)have a book with a story other than that which is written on the pages themselves.

Each person should sign the inner flap with their name and location. Think of it as a passport stamp in that regard. The last person in line sends it back to the original owner.

If Tom wishes to participate partially and just buy whatever would come his way, I can understand that. But if he's okay with shipping overseas exclusively, he is absolutely welcome to participate.

I'll be sending a book called The English Major by Jim Harrison. Harrison is one of my favorite American writers. The English Major is by and large a road novel, but not in the typical tradition of youth. The protagonist is 60ish, unlike what you'd expect in the "genre". The prose is stark, blunt, and twists what would otherwise be a tragedy into a comedy of sorts. It was the best book of 2008, in my opinion, and is a very fast 304 page read. My copy is hardback, but is not large or heavy by any means.

People should sign up for this site: http://www.librarything.com/

It's a social networking site for readers.

You can add your library, create reviews, and even get recommendations from the system and others.

It's still in beta form, so there is a lot of things that are being tested or may not work that well, but so far it's pretty solid.

So far it's been pretty rad for me.

We aren't sending the books out all at once, are we?

This is why we need to organize.

Here's what I think:

There's 12 of us or so. We break off into smaller groups of 3 or 4 and establish the flow -- I send mine to you, you send yours to the next guy, and so on. We read. We talk. When we're done, you send the book you just finished to the next guy (the person you sent your original book to). Repeat until you have your book back. Start over/change groups/whatever.

So yes, I guess everyone should start buy sending their book to someone.

People should sign up for this site: http://www.librarything.com/

It's a social networking site for readers.

You can add your library, create reviews, and even get recommendations from the system and others.

It's still in beta form, so there is a lot of things that are being tested or may not work that well, but so far it's pretty solid.

So far it's been pretty rad for me.

Thanks for this. I just signed up -- sounds great!

I guess I'd like to know the first recipient of my book so I can take a look at that person's preferences. I'd like to know what kind of stuff that person's into before sending the book. I have a wide range of books, and I don't want to send a history book to a sci-fi aficionado.

My short list:

Haruki Murakami - The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

Neal Stephenson - Cryptonomicon

Churchill/Vanderwall - Agents of Repression: The FBI's Secret Wars Against the Black Panther Party and the American Indian Movement

Jim Thompson - The Killer Inside Me

Thomas Pynchon - The Crying of Lot 49

Don Delillo - White Noise

I guess I'd like to know the first recipient of my book so I can take a look at that person's preferences. I'd like to know what kind of stuff that person's into before sending the book. I have a wide range of books, and I don't want to send a history book to a sci-fi aficionado.

My short list:

Haruki Murakami - The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

Neal Stephenson - Cryptonomicon

Churchill/Vanderwall - Agents of Repression: The FBI's Secret Wars Against the Black Panther Party and the American Indian Movement

Jim Thompson - The Killer Inside Me

Thomas Pynchon - The Crying of Lot 49

Don Delillo - White Noise

Tomorrow morning I'll break it all down.