Lot of 3,000,000 records on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320230084120

The seller claims that this collection contains 99% of all music that made the charts and 50-60% of uncharted music. That seems like a bold statement.

no hes on point.... this is literally the largest privately held music collection in the world, according to most large music publications/experts.

The thing is (and this is just me being a complete dick) I have no urge to own the complete works of the Supremes, or Paula Abdul or fucking Average White Band on vinyl. I'm a completest and all but there's probably 85 - 95% stuff that doesn't interest me (or many potential buyers) in this collection. He'd likely make more money if he just segmented out the valuable pieces and sold off those.

The thing is (and this is just me being a complete dick) I have no urge to own the complete works of the Supremes, or Paula Abdul or fucking Average White Band on vinyl. I'm a completest and all but there's probably 85 - 95% stuff that doesn't interest me (or many potential buyers) in this collection. He'd likely make more money if he just segmented out the valuable pieces and sold off those.

That's not the point of this collection. If you read the description he states that approximately 90% of the archive portion of the collection are new. The owner believes that this collection can benefit future generations. It's a marvelous display of 20th century culture and should be preserved in it's entirety. It's not something that one would buy so that they could have a totally sick LP collection, it's a piece of history.

That's not the point of this collection. If you read the description he states that approximately 90% of the archive portion of the collection are new. The owner believes that this collection can benefit future generations. It's a marvelous display of 20th century culture and should be preserved in it's entirety. It's not something that one would buy so that they could have a totally sick LP collection, it's a piece of history.

I work in a museum. I understand the point of having collections of things that are (to most people) entirely worthless. However, I'm still of the mind 90% of music released is trash and have no urge to remember it. I'd be perfectly fine if everyone forgot many of the items in that collection.

Additionally, asking someone to pay $3,000,000, plus an untold amount in the future to sustain this collection, out of altruism or for the betterment of future generations is a little optimistic at best. I mean, I can see wanted to preserve it but you're looking at a shit ton of money and if it doesn't benefit you I can see what people wouldn't do it.

However, I mentioned earlier that it is a remarkable work and I feel sad that it's this person's entire life's work and no one will purchase it for anything close to it's value.