New Records with Scratches - Common?

I take pride in my record collection and try and keep them in the best shape. Whenever I receive a new record in the mail I make sure to clean it record cleaning solution, wipe it down with water, and dry it with a 100% cotton rag.

One thing I've noticed with alot of brand new SEALED records is after they are cleaned, at certain angles, I can sometimes find scratches. I was just wondering if this is common with new records that happen when a record is made? Am I doing something wrong when cleaning my records?

I just wanna make sure I keep my records as scratch free as possible.

What you have are paper scuffs and they aren't any big deal at all and a lot of records will come like this...especially if you mail order. Also there is no reason in the world to clean a new record like that. You're more likely to damage it than you are to clean some sort of invisible dirt or small amount of paper or whatever off of it. These are things that are meant to be played and enjoyed. Take care of them but don't kill yourself with stuff like that.

What you have are paper scuffs and they aren't any big deal at all and a lot of records will come like this...especially if you mail order. Also there is no reason in the world to clean a new record like that. You're more likely to damage it than you are to clean some sort of invisible dirt or small amount of paper or whatever off of it. These are things that are meant to be played and enjoyed. Take care of them but don't kill yourself with stuff like that.

I read in some other threads that there is usually dust and debris on the record from when they are made/etched.

I got a sealed copy of Horace Pinker's "Pop Culture Failure" in the mail not too long ago, and it was scratched up pretty badly and skipping on several of the songs. I just found it really odd that a new and SEALED copy would be in such bad shape...

where did you order this from?

That dust can easily be cleaned off with an anti-static brush on the first spin. I see no need to bust out the haz-mat suit.

i mean, if you're concerned, blow lightly.

I think that the Rega cleaning instructions hold some weight in this argument. I mean as far as the part explaining that some dust is normal but it will go away.

The cleaning solution I am using is a 4:1 rubbing alcohol solution with 7-8 drops of laundry detergent (no additives, fragrance free). I found this solution from a DIY record cleaning machine site that had a quote on some type of record book. They also recommended some type of wetting agent to clean the grooves as deep as possible but I don't have access to it.

To each his own...but I think some people are treating their records like babies made of glass and it's really unnecessary. Unless you have a stereo system that cost you more than a college education you don't need 3 kinds of cleaners and all that to get decent sound out of it. All your efforts seriously won't be counting for much if you don't have the system to back it up.

Guest genericinsight

yeah I've been finding this a lot lately with a bunch of records I just have gotten via mailorder, lots of scratches even before they're played. I was particularly worried when I found one on my Murder By Death "Red of Tooth and Claw" LP yesterday (esp since I've only played it once since I got it) but it sounded fine and didn't skip or anything during playback. Ditto for a couple other records I've just gotten brand new and found some scuff marks upon closely examining.

I also agree - a plain dry cloth and/or anti-static brush usually does the trick just fine, no need to go crazy with cleaning solutions and whatnot.