Why is 180 gram vinyl better?

New "virgin" or "heavy" (180–220 g/m2) vinyl is commonly used for modern "audiophile" vinyl releases in all genres. Many collectors prefer to have 180 g/m2 vinyl albums, and they have been reported to have a better sound than normal vinyl. These albums tend to withstand the deformation caused by normal play better than regular vinyl[citation needed]. 180 g/m2 vinyl is more expensive to produce and requires higher-quality manufacturing processes than regular vinyl.

New "virgin" or "heavy" (180–220 g/m2) vinyl is commonly used for modern "audiophile" vinyl releases in all genres. Many collectors prefer to have 180 g/m2 vinyl albums, and they have been reported to have a better sound than normal vinyl. These albums tend to withstand the deformation caused by normal play better than regular vinyl[citation needed]. 180 g/m2 vinyl is more expensive to produce and requires higher-quality manufacturing processes than regular vinyl.

Virgin vinyl does not always mean its 180 gram. Virgin vinyl is just vinyl that is brand new, it contains no cuttings from previously pressed records.

Virgin vinyl does not always mean its 180 gram. Virgin vinyl is just vinyl that is brand new, it contains no cuttings from previously pressed records.

From what I gather, he's correct. It was pointed out in that article that someone posted here last week from that plant in Europe or something. Wow, I can't remember anything right now... It's monday...

From what I gather, he's correct. It was pointed out in that article that someone posted here last week from that plant in Europe or something. Wow, I can't remember anything right now... It's monday...

Sorry, I was just posting a bit about 180g from Wikipedia.

A regular record weighs around 130g.

Also, just so you guys know, they use the exact same plates to press 180g records as they do to press 130g records. The vibration argument above is really the only thing that matters. I fail to see how the grooves could be cut "deeper" when the exact same depth plates are used.

180g isn't always better though.

I have never heard this argument before. The thicker the vinyl, the deeper they can cut the grooves, the better the sound.

ok, well that is true. what i meant to say though is that you can still get shitty sounding records. i'm sure there are many 140g records that sound just as good or better. it also depends on where they're pressed. straight up, i'd always take 180g over anything else.

I have never heard this argument before. The thicker the vinyl, the deeper they can cut the grooves, the better the sound.

ok, well that is true. what i meant to say though is that you can still get shitty sounding records. i'm sure there are many 140g records that sound just as good or better. it also depends on where they're pressed. straight up, i'd always take 180g over anything else.

I think how the record is produced/mastered matters more than if it's on normal vs 180. My Against Me New Wave sounds only ok while my Kay Kay record sounds amazing.

yeah, i have to give it up for some regular weighted stuff; the new mountain goats sounds flawless, and i don't think that's heavyweight.

alternatively, the latest Stars 2xlp IS on 180 gram and it's hands down the best sounding record i've ever heard. huge bass, which is definitely not the norm.

yeah, i have to give it up for some regular weighted stuff; the new mountain goats sounds flawless, and i don't think that's heavyweight.

alternatively, the latest Stars 2xlp IS on 180 gram and it's hands down the best sounding record i've ever heard. huge bass, which is definitely not the norm.

I really need to get that Stars record.