PA Record Stores

Not in Allentown. But when I lived in Philly (which is only about an hour's drive) there were some really good stores there. I haven't lived in Philly since 2002, so you might want to make sure they're open before you journey down there, but on south street there was Repo Records and Spaceboy (which was really good). And right off of south street is the Philadelphia Records Exchange, which has a ton of vinyl but it's a crap shoot whether you'll find anything interesting. I can't remember the name of another place that was off of south street, but it was a hole-in-the-wall hardcore/punk store, but I scored a bunch of great stuff there.

Spaceboy in Philly has closed down, I was pissed when I found out. Noise Pollution might be the hole in the wall store you're talking about, its on the same street as relapse records. They have a lot of good stuff, but it's definetly a shitty looking store. Repo is great in terms of vinyl, they didn't have as much vinyl when I was in highschool as they do now. They have the more current/modern releases on the main floor and in the basement there's a shit load of stuff to dig through, never know, might find something.

Almost positive it was a store in Allentown. If you find a phone number, call up and ask. I find when I search on line for records stores when I'm traveling, 60% of the time the stores have closed. Happened to me in Vegas a few months ago. I always call before I make the journey.

You should definitely go to Philly, it's really not that far from Allentown and (if you're not a vegetarian) you can hit Jim's for a cheesesteak while you're record shopping on south street.

Spaceboy in Philly has closed down, I was pissed when I found out. Noise Pollution might be the hole in the wall store you're talking about, its on the same street as relapse records. They have a lot of good stuff, but it's definetly a shitty looking store. Repo is great in terms of vinyl, they didn't have as much vinyl when I was in highschool as they do now. They have the more current/modern releases on the main floor and in the basement there's a shit load of stuff to dig through, never know, might find something.

Damn, that's a bummer that Spaceboy is gone...I loved that place, even though they ripped me off once (an employee used my credit card number to buy a ton of stuff after I bought a few things...I got the money back though, and got the guy fired). Yeah, Noise Pollution sounds about right...this place was tiny, had some collectibles on the wall, a couple of 7" bins and some LP bins and that was it. I'd be surprised if 10 people could fit in there at once.

Do I just got back from PA. I went to Double Decker Records which was only like 10 minutes away from my hotel. I was very happy with their selection.

I picked up:

The Appleseed Cast - The End of the Ring Wars

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha

Neutral Milk Hotel - On Avery Island

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

• 4 months later...

Double Decker is about 30 minutes from my parents house. Awesome place . I remember having to go there once because they were the only ones selling tickets to a digger show. mmmm....lehigh valley pop punk at its finest! i used to go there once or twice a year but have't in a few years. I remember being real excited somewhere around my senior year in high school cause i bought pink floyd's the wall (2xLP of course) for $1.00. It had such an amazing look to it that the cd just couldn't do. Maybe I'll try to get back down there next time I visit home.

I live a few minutes away and it is a great store. When he gets in some of the harder to get records (I bought Coheed and Cambria: Secrets on Orange & White) he sells them for a very reasonable price. I grew up in the hardcore punk scene and till this day that store was part of the scene. Growing older it is great to see he never gave up on it and keeps the store open. Also, the owner also put out records on his label Doppleganger? and check out another Lehigh Valley great band Pearls and Brass (he put out their first CD). They are no longer together but they went on to Pissed Jeans and Randle of Nazareth, check them all out.

theres a few good places in philly, long in the tooth on 20something and samson, beautiful world syndicate i hear is real good, i've only ever heard about it. theres one store in south philly and one in west, and apparently west philly location is real good for punk stuff. repo records is ok, decent selection upstairs and if you can find something decent downstairs its a real good deal (something like $1 or 2 for a 7", only ever bought one lp downstairs and it was $1.99) . noise pollution and philly record exchange are good, but really crowded usually and kinda small so i never looked around much. theres a few thrift stores on south st too that usually have real good finds. the curiosity shop has $2 Lps and .50 cent 7"s and usually a real good selection. aka music is decent, but i've only been there once. i think its on second street. thats all i can really think of now.