texting (too much)!

Not always, take for instance, I randomly decide to have a get together at my apartment during the day. Instead of calling everyone and getting voicemails and chatting w/ all of them I can fire off this text to 10 people:

"My apartment, 7:00pm, movie night, byob, we have snacks"

Part of the reason texting is so popular, especially for me is because voicemail is annoying as hell.

Well true but the exact opposite is the case of a more intricate conversation.

I think as a general rule, if your text exchange goes beyond 2 or 3 texts per side, it would have probably been better served with an actual call.

A simple one-two statement and response is perfect for a text message, or a simple information blast like Kirby pointed out.

this shit boggles me. people have to stop being so dependent on stupid shit like cell phones.

And computers, too.

Fucking technology making things convenient and shit.

dependency doesnt equal convenience. is it convenient to quickly shoot a text to someone? yes. is it scary that some people would be extremely bored, probably depressed, and wouldnt know what to do with their life if their cell phone was taken away from them? yes.

so yeah, i never said cell phones werent convenient, quit putting words in my mouth.

And computers, too.

Fucking technology making things convenient and shit.

dependency doesnt equal convenience. is it convenient to quickly shoot a text to someone? yes. is it scary that some people would be extremely bored, probably depressed, and wouldnt know what to do with their life if their cell phone was taken away from them? yes.

so yeah, i never said cell phones werent convenient, quit putting words in my mouth.

I didn't put words in your mouth.

I made a sarcastic remark based on your previous comment.

And dependency doesn't equal convenience, but convenience breeds dependency. Cell phones are morphing from a pure verbal communication device (see phones fromm a decade ago) into a multi-media tool (see smart phones today). It is possible to shoot video, edit that video, post it to You Tube, and text 72 friends to check it out in a matter of minutes. Sounds revolutionary to me.

And it's not even dependence. I read an article in The Economist from the issue a couple weeks back about the transformation to a completely mobile telecom society. Land lines are being dropped at a rate of millions per month in favor of cell-only households. It's not dependence, it's progress. In 1992, if you took away a teenage girl's land line, she'd be extremely bored, probably depressed, and wouldn't know what to do with their life. Same shit, different technology.

It's called progress, man. And in terms of the rest of the world, the United States is way behind the curve. The infrastructure here is among the worst in the world.

Get on board. If you don't want to text, fine, don't. But don't judge and criticise those that do.

well i believe thousands and thousands of texts in a months span is dependency on it. is it bad? i guess in the way you've put it, no.

the thing that really annoys me is just the fact that people seem to be controlled and fixated on the little screen in their hand almost all of the time. people get into car accidents, and even accidents just while walking, because they are staring at a little screen in their hand.

I didn't put words in your mouth.

I made a sarcastic remark based on your previous comment.

And dependency doesn't equal convenience, but convenience breeds dependency. Cell phones are morphing from a pure verbal communication device (see phones fromm a decade ago) into a multi-media tool (see smart phones today). It is possible to shoot video, edit that video, post it to You Tube, and text 72 friends to check it out in a matter of minutes. Sounds revolutionary to me.

And it's not even dependence. I read an article in The Economist from the issue a couple weeks back about the transformation to a completely mobile telecom society. Land lines are being dropped at a rate of millions per month in favor of cell-only households. It's not dependence, it's progress. In 1992, if you took away a teenage girl's land line, she'd be extremely bored, probably depressed, and wouldn't know what to do with their life. Same shit, different technology.

It's called progress, man. And in terms of the rest of the world, the United States is way behind the curve. The infrastructure here is among the worst in the world.

Get on board. If you don't want to text, fine, don't. But don't judge and criticise those that do.

In the future, either the term phone won't be used or it'll have a totally different meaning.

We're not very far off from having a phone that you plug into a monitor, keyboard, mouse and work from it. In our lifetime our personal computers will be our "phones" -- what an awesome world to live in.

As someone who texts so much I would say there's no difference between texting while bored at work and sitting and browsing sites like whatever that hipster one is and other time killers. Wasting time is wasting time. When I go home I check 3 websites and that's about it. I don't kill time online unless there's absolutely nothing to do.

I prefer texts to phone calls but I also text people I don't have much contact with except via text during the day ie: friends on tour or out of state friends. I find it hilarious that people get so offended by the amount of texts someone sends.

Guest kissthesharks

The cool thing about texting is that you can pretend you are doing something worthwhile, like making an italian dinner or volunteering at an old folks home. When really, you are f5'ing an ebay auction.

I text a lot to occupy my boredom time at work. Since i obviously cant have full on phone conversations at work. Then again, I hate talking on the phone. I like that you can multitask while holding a conversation at your convenience.

I text a few people semi frequently. The most is probably my friend Alyssa. We usually have a quick chat every other day. I have a Blackberry so I can use BBM and AIM...though I rarely sign onto AIM with my phone.

I only BBM one person on a regular/daily basis and if you changed BBM's I sent him to texts my number would be in the high thousands.

I didn't text for the longest time. I hated it. It was expensive and I'd be angry when people would text me.

And then I started texting a girl. Yes, I had to hold old to that ray of hope with all my might...

At the cost of $150 texting bill in two months.

SO...

I now have unlimited texting.

Texting helps eliminate those awkward pauses and broken/hard to hear voices that occur during phone conversations. And it's a step further out of normal social interaction! Woo-hoo!

To the person who said they text 10000x a month, holy shit. Lets say you're awake 18 hrs a day. That means you're texting once every 3 min you're awake. Jesus Christ, your thumbs must be bloody nubs.

I send maybe 50 a month, receive 100. Mostly mine are explicit nonsense that would qualify as sexual harassment.