People who've been in fraternities

My freshman year floor was so tight we didn't need a frat. But 2or 3 did join anyway and we just used them for easy access to parties for a year, then got our own house and kinda stopped talking to them.

I was indifferent at the start, but as college went on, I got more and more anti-frat.

never was in a frat but i know a few dudes who were and they were pretty cool, even when we would give them shit for it and they would admit all day that there were tons of assholes in their house. i went on a road trip and saw against me! and off with their heads in g-ville some months back. anyway we got wasted and stumbled around town and tried to find his branch down there to continue the drinking. when we did find it there was no party and they didnt let us in, some brothers.

I only know one person who joined a frat. He was a pretty good friend of mine in high school who was the star of all of the school musicals and a total band geek and whatnot. When he went to FSU he joined a total bro frat, and now he sell vicodin and pot brownies to his brothers and drinks at least 6 nights a week. He doesn't talk to virtually anyone he was friends with in high school anymore.

I take that back, I know someone else who was in a frat. My friend's older brother Chad (go figure, what a bro name) was in one, and he's pretty much like the douchiest guy I've ever personally known. He's 30 years old now, and was suggesting to me in front of my girlfriend that I cheat on her when I went away to school without her.

I'm not saying that frats are inherently bad things, but the dudes I know from frats are not cool ones in my book.

first off, to Scott...John Phillip Sousa fucking rocks

apparently the Greek society here in Alabama is quite a bit different than everywhere else...the frats and sororities here are the saddest things I've ever seen. Every single person dresses exactly the same (not even joking in the slightest bit), they're all "Good Ole Boys" or "Southern Bells" for the girls, all the dudes driver oversized pickup trucks while the girls all drive BMW, Benz, or Lexus SUVs. They're extremely obnoxious in all the classes I've had with them. I really wish the rest of the country could just see the Frats and Sororities down here, it's fucking bizzar...the clothing they choose to wear, their entire attitude, hell they literally run the University here by way of "The Machine". They will kick you out of their Frat or Sorority if you don't vote their way??? they had T-Shirt's made up for the entire Greek community before the '04 election that said "Greeks For Bush" had a giant "W" in the middle of the shirt with a circle of all the different frats and sororities encircling the "W" and under it "Vote Bush"...

thankfully, I've been told this is pretty limited to the south (University of Alabama, Auburn University, University of Georgia, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, University of Tennessee, ect.)

edit: Hazing is fucking crazy here as well, I had a couple of friends drop out of rushing b/c of the hazing. They took the kids down to the basement attempted to make them strip to underwear and beat 'em with paddles and made 'em like clean the entire frat house with toothbrushes and shit...one of my friends ended up just flat-out beating the hell out of one of the "Actives" and was kicked out. They make the Rushes literally pay for their dinners and lunches and stuff...they do a sleep deprivation month where they don't let the Rush's sleep for more than 3 hours a night. I've heard stories of little frat wannabees driving outside of the city and sleeping in Gas Station bathrooms just for sleep.

Here, they've cracked down hard on the hazing recently. Last year I believe 6 fraternities were kicked off campus, and many are on probation. The school is really taking shit seriously. (Some of the fraternities still do it, but it's the ones you go into knowing they do)

I've more or less narrowed it down to 3 fraternities. Rush week is so fucking tiring. I've asked/been asked the same questions like 4,000,000 times in the past 3 days. Two more days until I figure out if I get any bids.

i'm a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon. i went to a very small liberal college here in wisconsin and didn't know anyone on campus since i was the only person from the county that went to the school. the initial draw to the fraternity was drinking, friendliness and fellow members of the tennis team. i wouldn't trade the experience for anything. it's not every day that you can live in a house with guys from jamaica, bahamas, china, japan, phillipines, india, mexico, russia and all over the states and learn about their customs and ways of life. there was no hazing, drinking typically stuck to thursday-saturday night and had parties atleast once a month. i did hang out with guys in other fraternities as well as other students from campus. i think a lot of the experience is the types of people that are in the house with you and what you want to make of the situation. i didn't like college like i thought i would and eventually dropped out, but i was given the chance to start something that i love doing now, running fests. as part of greek week i was given $6k to book bands for a spring day fest and then gone on from there.

then

[image]

[image]

[image]

now

[image]

[image]

[image]