Divorce: update *Updated*

drabley

• 2 weeks later...

i'm just curious how the divorce came about after 10 years of marriage? this is the one thing that worries me about ever getting married. the changing of feelings over time and the big messy breakup. i have been single for quite a long time since my longterm girlfriend and i split and i moved back to MN, just can't get my head around another woman like that and have any faith in a relationship.

i'm just curious how the divorce came about after 10 years of marriage? this is the one thing that worries me about ever getting married. the changing of feelings over time and the big messy breakup. i have been single for quite a long time since my longterm girlfriend and i split and i moved back to MN, just can't get my head around another woman like that and have any faith in a relationship.

Not 10 years of marriage -- 10 years of togetherness, 6 of those being married. We first got together in 1999. We got married in 2003.

Relationships are a fickle little machine. They run hot and cold -- just like your faucets but without as much control. This is to be expected. Our problem was that we were running cold and no matter what we did, we could never run hot again. We were perpetually luke warm. For both of us, this was not any way to be. For some it works -- for us, it didn't.

We were married young, too young, and seem to have found each other before finding ourselves. We were just kids when we met and I feel like I stole part of her youth from her in a way. Her ambition stole the rest. She was in law school before she could legally drink. We both had a lot of growing up to do over the course of our relationship and marriage. An unfortunate by product of this is that we grew apart in the process.

Changing feelings is bound to happen. In fact, I'd say it's pretty inevitable. Nobody stays in love quite like they way they were when it all began. It's all about management, coping, and the balance between hot and cold.

A bit of an update -- our court date is the 23rd. I waived my appearance but I'm considering going anyway. Part of me wants to be there the second it's official rather than just be handed a copy some time after the fact.

I'm a week away from being single for the first time in a decade.

i know i'm a bit late but man, i hope for nothing but the best for you.

being with my girlfriend for 5 years now and reading what you're going/gone through it's my hope that something like this won't happen to me. can't say the fear isn't there, though. we're not even ready to be engaged and we've hit tiny 'luke warm' patches.