Invest in Vinyl Collective/Suburban Home's Future

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen, fella. No one's "making up rules" for others to follow. We are just telling you what has worked in the past and what has not worked. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

I've no need to tell you anything about myself, nor does my personal life have any bearing on what I am telling you, so no luck, friend. Did you know that there's a band called Red Scare already and they were a ton better than whatever bullshit you're using that name for?

Thread needs less red scare and more servo.

this is the mentality i have. when i toured i always saved and saw it more of a vacation. i was never pissed. this stuff isnt a career goal in my eyes. I saw the US and had many adventures that i wouldn't have had otherwise. i play music for the love of it. and like any hobby in life (poker, disc golf, music, hookers, etc. etc) you have to shell out $$$ for what you love. Sure it's awesome when you get a return, but I don't go into it initially wanting one. If i toured and made a dozen lifelong friends that enjoyed my music and had to spent $300 or so out of my pocket in the end... i see this as a gain. I"m still friends with some of those people i toured with almost 15 years ago. I seriously just wanted to get out and have people hear my music with no other expectations than having a good time.

Well, you better add something to that list: you now have to take out other band's and label's records and sell them or you're an asshole. Them's the new rules. And Jeff Nelson has a Victorian Mansion proving their validity.

just wanted to say, i deleted my post by accident. so my deletion wasn't intentional. i was gonna hit edit, and double entered it on delete. whoops.

we did do that. we'd take tons of records other bands stuff on tour with us or that we picked up along the way. To tell you the truth i had a substantial income when going on tour (remind you, this is the early 90's) so i would pick up a couple of 7"S of touring bands along the way to help them out. And what we didn't sell i'd give away to friends that i though would like it.

I don't think its a bad thing to want to only sell your stuff, but if your records good, people will buy. if not, they have other music to buy from you to add a little change in your pocket.

I personally always try to help out bands as much as possible if they are touring. Sometimes i dont even buy merch from bands i don't like. i just give them money to help out.

I know this is a bit off subject, so my apologies to anyone. I was just commenting on servo's attitude and think it's a good ideal to have when it comes to being in a band. it's not so much about the label thing, hence why it's off subject

oh and sorry for my crappy grammer. i'm on benadryl and a bit loopy.

It comes down to this... you can play fake music industry and constantly scramble... or you can do what's worked for "independent music" for the last 30 years: make and put out killer records that people feel they need to physically own.

I want to address this specifically. In the last 5 years the prevalence of this thing called the Internet has changed EVERYTHING. You can pretend it hasn't, that you just need to put out good stuff and people will come but that's not really true. Or maybe it is and putting out records isn't something you can live on unless you do what Tony @ Victory does, you live hand-to-mouth, or you don't employ a single person. I think constant innovation and change, new offerings, and new ways of looking at things should be applauded not denigrated but hey, whatever makes you happy I guess.

From where I sit I see a ton of people doing DIY labels and flooding the market place with records. Its a saturated market place which is complicated even further by leaking records, which certainly eat in to sales to some degree. I think the whole deal has been muddled by the lack of venues who are open to younger, newer bands. The whole deal has just become about as much money as possible, maybe it was always like that and I just have an ideal but I know when I was trying to book bands it was a bitch and selling records I also know is a total bitch.

Dude, I've used the internet to sell more killer physical records than ever. So has everyone else. The internet hasn't changed the act of people buying good records (and it never will), it's just made it easier.

You put new ideas and technologies, innovation, and change into play when they make sense and you adapt them to your core values. You don't just take desperate stabs in the dark and call it "the next level."

Steve O are you really here to annoy the shit out of a second message board?

Seriously?! God, you're such an awful awful person, I hope another homeless person shits in your store.

Oh and the whole preorder thing, he's not the only culprit and I have made myself fully clear on my feelings of people saying "hey look! Album! Yay!" then it doesnt come out for months later.

...it gets worse when they refuse to give you a refund cause you are tired of waiting, thats what really makes a label far from a best.

Listen, fella. No one's "making up rules" for others to follow. We are just telling you what has worked in the past and what has not worked. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Haha, you called me a "faker". I'm supposed to take you seriously?

You run a "punk" label and think distros are irrelevant. I'm supposed to take you seriously?

I love people trying to give Brent a word of advice. "Listen, pal, I've been into this for a while now and I know what works, y'see...etc"

I guess we all run in different circles or something. The stuff other people are reporting sounds completely ridiculous to some of us and I'm sure vice versa. I haven't seen leaks hurt my bottom line at any point since that phenomenon started. If anything, you could say that the internet and leaks MIGHT have led to an upswing in my business. I haven't noticed any lack of venues for "newer, younger" bands to do their thing (we play with teenagers and early-20's bands at almost every show) and I've experienced absolutely no difficulty in booking shows anywhere our band has wanted to go (at this point, everywhere except Utah and Hawaii in the states). And we're just some random nothing DIY band no better than anyone else... I'm not in Fugazi or Minor Threat... maybe we're just "lucky?"

If anything, the internet has made buying records easier. I mean, I know probably no one on this site did anything like send in money orders to Ebullition when ordering out of their print catalog, but still.

hell yea it has. which in turn has led me to more bands, which has led me to buy more records... actually, come to think of it, it's a bad thing for my pocket.. :(:P

I did. that's all you could do for most labels. i remember sometimes waiting 4-7 months (even a year) to get a package too (fucking lookout)

If anything, the internet has made buying records easier. I mean, I know probably no one on this site did anything like send in money orders to Ebullition when ordering out of their print catalog, but still.

I did. that's all you could do for most labels. i remember sometimes waiting 4-7 months (even a year) to get a package too (fucking lookout)

I used to love physical mailorder and kept doing it with labels I liked well after they went online. Some people still do it. I make it an option for the diehards.

Guest genericinsight

Never for Ebullition but I would always send checks/money orders/filled out forms for records out of the Epitaph/Anti, Fat, Lookout, Hopeless, Rev, Victory, etc. catalogs. I ended up with two copies of the Operation Ivy LP once because it was the first record I ever mailordered, it never came and I bought it when I saw it at a store assuming I'd been ripped off and it would never come. Then, about eight months later it finally showed up. Not like you could file a Paypal claim or anything of the sort back then either.

I kind of enjoy how easy the internet has made ordering things (not just records, but pretty much anything). Records are the exception but in general, I HATE shopping, I hate going to malls, so being able to order Christmas presents online is an absolute wonderful thing at times.