Vinyl budget?

My wife and I had the "vinyl chat" last night and we (and by "we," I mean "she") decided it would be best for me to set a strict monthly vinyl budget (Sorry Virgil!!!). I have been going particularly crazy with vinyl purchases lately, so I can totally understand where she is coming from. Plus, we're trying to buy a house and need to stash away more money.

So, I wanted to pick some brains around here. Do any of you set a vinyl budget? What's a reasonable amount (I make fairly good money, but spend a lot more than I should on records)? If you don't use it all in one month, does the remainder carry over to the next month (or, if you know a ton of good stuff is coming out in one month can you go over your limit and sacrifice the following month)? Just want to see how realistic this idea is.

Personally, I don't think it will work, because you can never predict how many releases will hit in one month. But I'm willing to give it a try. I'd love some honest feedback.

wives are good at setting budgets, I don't think I ever even used the B word until I got married. Buying a house is a good goal to have and can be one of the best financial decisions a family can make.

I think a budget can be a good idea, but it seems as though the vinyl flood gates (sorry for all of the flood/rain analogies) are opening and more and more and more record are coming out.

I wish you good luck figuring it out and remember Oakland mentioning that he keeps a budget; he may be able to shed some light on the topic.

Just be careful what you agree to with your wife as wives are really good at sticking you to it.

i agree with your wife,hickey.

i'm single but i ever doubt if i always invest 150-200 usd per month for vinyl every month....when i will have my own house ?

i try to limit my money for purchase vinyl too but it doesn't work enough because i must pay high shipping price for ask the seller ship my order to Bangkok,Thailand.

anyway,i plan to order vinyl at the right moments....someday

i have been trying lately to not go crazy, because looking back over the last 2 months (since i joined this board) i have been a little excesive with my purchases. i know i have had a big No idea order, 2x VC orders, and a Revhq order plus mulitple items on ebay... As of last week i wont purchase any records for the rest of august and then keep it under control from then on out... Maybe like 100-150.00 but it would be nice to spend less. we will see what happens

trading has kept me happy when i dont have any cash to blow.

Here's how I'm going to TRY to do it...I'm going to put $120 (the extra $20 is to cover shipping costs) into my PayPal account the first of every month. I have a PayPal debit card, so I can use that in stores and for online credit card purchases if the store/seller doesn't do straight PayPal. The PayPal thing will keep me honest and also keep track for me. It will also ensure the money I don't spend in a month gets carried over. There is one caveat to my budget: If my white whale (Screeching Weasel - BoogadaBoogadaBoogada German pressing) pops up anywhere I can buy it no questions asked and it won't count against my budget...

I think this sounds fair...how about all of you?

When I lived alone, a budget was the last thing from my mind. It was "buy now, worry later." And I'm still like that in some ways. But if my wife and I want to start a real family, we need to buy a house and real estate in Massachusetts is EXPENSIVE! Our rent now is equal to what a mortgage would be, it's just getting the down payment together and knocking out the wedding-related debt we're still dealing with almost a year later.

I stick to a budget but its not overly strict. I have a general budget for money I want to spend on whatever. I allocate a certain amount to vinyl, both new and via eBay. If I want to spend more, I usually can but that means less eating out or something like that. I do mine via a credit card so there's no real carrying over. I make small purchases outside of the budget structure but those are limited to $25-40 a month.

I have heard of some people buying multiple copies of certain records they think will go out of print and then trading them/selling them to help with their record spending. Just an idea.