Question for any teachers//prospective teachers

I'm in the process of getting my teaching certification. Friday morning i'll be taking the Praxis exam for the second time. My first time I passed Writing with a 180, missed Reading by one point with a 176, and failed Math with a 171. I was just curious if anyone on here has taken the test before and how they did, or if they had to take it multiple times to pass.

I am a teacher in NC and I took it on a computer instead of the pencil paper kind. I only took it once and I can't remember the grade, but I know several teachers who took it twice. You were close, I'm sure you'll do fine the second time if you bone up on some of the math. Don't give up, we need more punk rock teachers.

I've been a teacher for six years now. I'm from Pennsylvania and education requirements for educator are a little more stringent. I took the Praxis I and the Praxis II for my cert. I had to take the Praxis II twice because of it's difficulty. Don't sweat taking it more than once. I love this profession. It's well worth the effort to obtain your certification. Good luck!

Interesting, I'm a teacher and this doesn't sound anything like what I went through to get certified. I did a 4 year bachelor of arts and a 1 year bachelor of education, plus a 1 year diploma in ESL. No tests involved in any of it.

where did you go to school? thats really really rare that someone who goes to school to be a teacher didnt have to take the Praxis exam(s)...

good luck dude. And Troymess I took the Praxis 2 as well. I may be moving to the Philly area next year and don't know crap about the teaching job scene there. My gf is hoping to start grad school there. Are there any jobs at all around Philly? I will float a resume and just cross my fingers. I suppose I could substitute for a while.

I'm in WNY and have no idea what you guys are talking about. We have our own tests here, though (Content, Teaching Skills, and something else... I forget). Hardest one is content area, for sure.

I'm getting my master's now and subbing, and I've loved it so far. I only got certified this past Sept. 1 and have had a few close calls on jobs. I'd rather kill myself than move south so I'm going to stick it out up here until I find a full time job. The HS across town has a long term sub coming up and then a dude retiring, so that LTS is crucial. Wish me luck!

good luck dude. And Troymess I took the Praxis 2 as well. I may be moving to the Philly area next year and don't know crap about the teaching job scene there. My gf is hoping to start grad school there. Are there any jobs at all around Philly? I will float a resume and just cross my fingers. I suppose I could substitute for a while.

a good number of teaching positions are all listed on two sites for PA, I think the main one for the entire state is PA-Educator.net, and then there are specific ones for city schools and private schools. what are you looking to teach?

Congrats on the scores! It's an amazing feeling to be free of that stress. PA-Educator is indeed the best site to look for PA teaching jobs.

I'm finishing my master's degree in May to become a principal/administrator on some level...some day...I want to teach for a while longer before I make that step :)

mcm1610, good luck with the job hunt!

Congrats on the scores! It's an amazing feeling to be free of that stress. PA-Educator is indeed the best site to look for PA teaching jobs.

I'm finishing my master's degree in May to become a principal/administrator on some level...some day...I want to teach for a while longer before I make that step :)

mcm1610, good luck with the job hunt!

natalie graduates from WVU with her Masters degree next week :)

glad youre doing well Troy! I didnt get a chance to talk to you at the revival show much!

I tried TFA and got rejected, but I didn't really prep for the interview or anything. I had no intentions of teaching at that point. After I did undergrad, I went back to get a post-baccalaureate cert.

You have to put your time in and sub in order to make connections. It sucks (actually it doesn't, unless you have a family or a ton of bills or something - there's no responsibility once the day ends) but you have to just do it, but while you're doing it, talk to other teachers, introduce yourself to anyone you think is important.. Every teacher has to do it for the most part, so they won't look down on you unless they're a dickhead. Hell, try to get into before-school basketball games or anything the teachers do.. make it seem like you're perfect for the position because everyone likes you.

If you're not social, become social. That's what teaching is - human interaction.

I just got certified this past summer and almost lucked out and fell into a position (they're really difficult to get up here) but I've been subbing, and one district has told me they will let me know when a teacher retires so I can interview for it, another told me I'd be pretty much a shoe-in if a spot ever opens and I don't have another job, and I'm just really getting going in the district I grew up in and would love to work, but I've been shmoozing people there and getting my name out. Turn your PR machine on.

Or apply to North Carolina.