SO CAL SATURDAY AJJ, Turkish Techno, Kepi 1/16

kyle

The San Francisco show was last Thursday and had over 230 people, I was stunned. That said it's undeniable now that nothing in the world will make me enjoy Kepi Ghoulie's music.

I'm just hoping for half that turnout. I need to pay the venue $300 and then I'd like to get the bands a good chunk of cash as well. They've played here before and there's always a really good turnout; there's this whole group of kids that are into AJJ and stuff but I have no idea how to reach them. They're all underage and really into the whole folk punk thing and therefore aren't a part of the same "scene" as me so I have no idea how to reach them. I've got flyers at the venue and at local record shops. I'm hoping that these are the kinda kids that just know about the shows because they pay attention to tour dates on the internet and stuff.

Was wondeirng for a second but they are playing two shows that day! I am going to the Ventura and Santa Barbara Shows!!! Pretty excited

1.15.10 Santa Barbara, CA Biko Garage w/ Watercolor Paintings, Kepi Ghoulie and Partners in

1.16.10 Ventura, CA Billy O's 21+ MATINEE (2pm) w/ Kepi Ghoulie and Partners in 818

1.16.10 Riverside, CA Back to the Grind w/ Kepi Ghoulie and Partners in 818

• 2 weeks later...

It was a good show. So were the San Diego and San Francisco shows, with San Francisco being my favourite. But if it isn't my luck that the Filthy Thieving Bastards played that night, one of the bands I've always wanted to see. And now I'm back in Illinois. Fuck.

I recorded some clips from all the shows. I'll post the links eventually.

Guest adam526

I went to the show in Highland Park on this tour, maybe like 40 kids there. Went to the last show of the tour at the Echo Curio, probably 300 kids there. Not even exaggerating. They filled the place and told everyone outside that all the bands are going to play again after the first sets. It was fucking ridiculous in there. I saw AJJ at the same place about this time last year and it was hardly full.

I feel like it has been ages since I've seen Andrew Jackson Jihad. It's always a weird draw at their shows, as I've seen them at a show with like 20 people, and then the same month they play another with people packed out the door. (Though I suppose there's differing demographics at a BTMI show versus a Comadre show :P )

Yeah, my friends that book and promote say I shouldn't worry that these kids just know about these shows cause they follow the dates on myspace and stuff. I'm just kinda worrying out loud because I need at least 100 paying kids to cover expenses.

so how'd you do?

I had approximately 250 paying kids, plus tons of people that snuck in and a bunch of friends that took advantage of the large turnout and insisted I let them in for free. The place was way over capacity and we all just had a great time. I honestly can't believe I worried about it the way I did.

I gave the venue more than we originally agreed, the bands got paid well and there weren't any issues. It was a great night!

The picture is really dark because Kepi Ghoulie had the lights turned down for his set. And the audio is not the greatest because this is just my digital camera, not a digital video camera.

The next step is to upload the Kepi Ghoulie videos, a few where he's backed by AJJ.

Oh, and these are from the show at the Che Cafe in San Diego/La Jolla.

These turned out better.

I actually missed a couple of songs (3?) because I wasn't sure how much space my memory card would have. The second to last song took half a gig to record, and that's not on the highest level.

I was wondering how many VC members were at the shows. We should have a universal symbol or something to identify each other.

Guest adam526
I actually missed a couple of songs (3?) because I wasn't sure how much space my memory card would have. The second to last song took half a gig to record, and that's not on the highest level.

I was wondering how many VC members were at the shows. We should have a universal symbol or something to identify each other.

I went to the Highland Park show, and the Echo Park show. Both tons of fun, been a while since I've seen them. Highland Park show was way better then the Echo Park show for sure, though.