How did you like the fest?

mrc

So, i just returned home from this years fest and let me say i had a fucking blast! So much fun. Im sure everybody will be returning in the next few days, but post the bands you saw, people you met, bands that blew you away and disappointed.

I got to see the falcon, TLA, radon, dead to me, BTMI and so many more.

I will post my weekend story tomorrow after a good nite sleep.

Good to be home and nice to visit the board again.

So the fest was a blast, i got to see:

The swellers, The Methodones, Das Kapital, Toys that kill, Radon, Youth Brigade, We Versus the shark, BTMI, dead to me, smoke or fire, guff, american steel, lawrence arms, avail, new bruises, four letter word, dear landlord, sundowner, andrew jackson jihad, the falcon, the ergs...

I was really disappointed that i missed a few shows. Like the paint it black apparment show, gaslight anthems, and new mexican disaster squad.

I was blown away by Dead to me, american steel, radon, the new bruises and of course the Falcon.

Seeing that this was my 1st full fest, i have to say i picked the right year to go. I saw tons of people i have seen in years, i met a VC board member - eric from the new bruises, and got to drink some beers with my man crush, branden from the lawrence arms.

But the main problem i had with the fest was:

1. i fucking forgot my camera bag on the kitchen counter at my house and didnt realize i forgot it untill 1/2 way to gville. i didnt get to take a fucking picture. so annoyed.

2. Fest funk - some of the smelliest kids i have ever met. i might of been the only one to shower out of everyone. oh well.

yeah it was awesome gettin to meet you for a sec mrc! the fest was a blast! small brown bike seriously blew me away, and i managed to get up on stage to watch the entire set!

got some serious hang out time with aarondanger, justin from underground comm, and eric o pioneers. saw a ton of awesome bands and a lot of old friends from the UK, in fact theres still 4 brits in my living room right now.

i'll be back on later today/tomorrow for some updates, but i'm so tired right now.

Still en route home. Fuck US Airways. 2 botched plane connections...well one botched and now one mysteriously where my ticket was cancelled so I'm boarding a later flight in a few.

Honestly one of the most inspiring weekends of my life. I'll post a list of the bands I saw tomorrow night after work!

I just wish that the Holiday Inn hadn't gotten wrecked. That was lame if you were involved.

Alternate chant: USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Here's all the bands I caught:

102. 10/26 - Bomb The Music Industry!/We Versus The Shark/O Pioneers!!!/The Valley Arena/In The Red/The Anchor/The Swellers @ 1982, Gainesville, FL

103. 10/27 - Dillinger Four/Avail @ The Venue, Gainesville, FL

104. 10/27 - The Gaslight Anthem/Look Mexico/Above Them @ Market Street Pub, Gainesville, FL

105. 10/27 - Hot New Mexicans/The Emotron @ 1982, Gainesville, FL

106. 10/28 - Seaweed/Small Brown Bike/Less Than Jake/The Draft/The Figgs @ The Venue, Gainesville, FL

107. 10/28 - Apeshit! @ The Side Bar, Gainesville, FL

108. 10/28 - Four Star Alarm @ Market Street Pub, Gainesville, FL

109. 10/28 - The Arrivals/Armalite @ Common Grounds, Gainesville, FL

110. 10/28 - Paul Baribeau/Matty Pop Chart @ 2nd Street Bakery, Gainesville, FL

Gaslight easily took set of the weekend for me, followed closely by Paul Baribeau and SBB. Lots and lots of pics coming shortly.

then a mini riot on everyfloor

BROKEN EVERYTHING!

i've seen that before, but not on that scale. i sold merch for a band at a small-town show and the organizers put all the bands coming in from out of town (which was all the bands) up in a hotel that had a capacity of about 75. everyone at the show went back to the hotel and by the end of the night there was holes in walls, doors kicked in, and pretty much everything everywhere was soiled in some way by bodily fluids of one kind or another.

There weren't three hundred people IN the pool, just in the pool area

once the fireworks got shot off, i new the cops were coming

there was a parade of people with a boombox going starting on the third floor, but i ditched that after they broke a bunch of exit signs

it sucked because the pool area was closed sunday so parties weren't happening

the bands were awesome

the ergs were great and probably the most fun of the weekend for me

i got to see a ton of bands that i've never seen or heard of before

and i only brought a backpack so i wouldn't spend money on records because LPs won't fit in there

did anyone eat at Gater Dawgs? I got a Frito Hot Dog and a Burrito Hot Dog

shit ruled

And yeah, the rooftop/pool party was really nice -- even Dan Yemin jumped in, fully clothed (I tried to tell him there were no alligators in the pool, but he was determined to try and find one to wrestle anyway). Me and the ladyfriend were getting ready to head downstairs when the impromptu breakdancing circle broke out, and we had to watch for a while. Everything was going fine until those British kids showed up with the Roman Candles...

I caught Toys That Kill, Radon, Witches With Dicks, Pretty Boy Thorson, New Bruises, D4, VaginaSore Jr., Avail, Off With Their Heads, Methadones, Grabass Charlestons, Vena Cava, Tiltwheel, and Billy Reese Peters (stole the entire weekend, as far as I'm concerned).

I think I remember taking my pants off during Tiltwheel while I wore my shirt over my forehead like a turban or something.

Also, if anyone saw the drunk dude wandering around Side Bar/Market Street Pub/Five Star Pizza asking people for weed, that was me. I finally found some, in case you were intersted. I don't even smoke that much, I just got really drunk and wanted some for some stupid reason.

Good times.

The Fest was awesome.

The best band I saw at the Fest was the Paint it Black apartment show on Friday night. OMFG amazing. It was only about 10 minutes long, because the cops showed up and actually let them play for a bit. The band played on the second floor and it was caving in, so we all got down on our knees and Dan Yemin still tried to crowd surf on top of everyone. I got punched in the face, broke my glasses, lost my hat (Thanks Aaron!), and they only played like 3 songs, but it was still DAMN AMAZING!

I saw the Emotron, brilliant! Funniest show of the Fest.

Other bands I saw (that I can remember -- no Xs on these hands).

American Steel / Larry Arms / The Falcon / Avail / Dillinger 4 / Paul Baribeau / the singer from Andrew Jackson Jihad solo / The Arrivals / Armalite (best band again?) / New Mexican Disaster Squard / Cloak/Dagger / Static Radio (covered the Descendents and Kid Dynamite), Affirmative Action Jackson, The Draft (one song), Less Than Jake (only played Automatic!!!! + "Gainesville Rock City") / The Swellers / O Pioneers!!! (GIVE ME BACK MY SHIRT!) / Bomb the Music Industry (probably the 2nd best band) / No Trigger

I know I'm forgetting bands...

Oh...

I think there may have been too many people at the Fest now. I couldn't get into see Dead to Me after waiting in line for 45minutes. Nor could I get into Common Grounds to see Paint it Black, Circle Takes the Square, or Municipal Waste after waiting in line for almost 2hrs. This can be credited to there being no counter show at the Venue though, because once D4 ended there was nothing else being going on.

Best move I made: Calling in a pizza order during D4 so I could pick it up whilst walking to Common Grounds.

^ because i waited in line for ever to see youth brigade i knew dead to me was going to be long as well so i got there at like 2:30. They were fucking amazing. i was grinning from ear to ear when they were playing. It was sooo good to see some of those bands that i have never seen before, i was so happy.

I didnt make it in to the paint it black show either