flipping records

To Soysquad : To say people shouldn't buy from flippers and not get so hyped up on getting a record for a high price would not complete a collection... collectors collect to have as many as they desire and it sometime haunts their toughts day and night. Yes, we're that stupid and obsessed. One more thing, older records from 10/20/30/40 years ago are not necesseraly repressed so you have to go and shell out big bucks to listen to them. Flippers, just like labels, like the smell of money and it's one more way of getting some so don't spend if you don't want to but don't take down people who do spend their money on something they want. Beside, more money for the band/label means more music in the end.

That's the problem though: bands and labels don't make money from flipping. It's certainly the flipper's right, and is an example of Economics 101, but it just seems a little sleazy to me that they buy something for $15, then sell it for $30 a week later.

Right, but it is a shame when a legitimate fan can not get a copy at a fair price because flippers got them all in the first hour.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last quote is my problem. You shouldn't flip records because you're buying them with no intention to enjoy them or listen to them. You're buying them to sell for an inflated price to someone who really wants to listen to that record. It's a shitty way to make money IMO. If you don't have any desire to listen to it, don't buy it. It's an asshole thing to do.

Best way to avoid flippers? Don't buy from them. The only reason they exist is because people are willing to pay a stupid amount of money for what they're selling. Supply and Demand. If they had been that interested in owning a copy right away, they should have gotten on the presale/or ordered right away. If you don't get something, it's not the end of the world. The fact that people take things like this so seriously, like it's an actual issue, just goes to show how fucking ridiculous our society is.

There are far worse things in our world that we have to deal with, and to get all worked up over people selling records above cost is retarded.

basically, you don't like it, don't pay for it. Our society has this need for instant gratification though, and god forbid if you didn't get some rare variant!

fuck. they're just RECORDS.

I know they're just records, and I don't ever buy from flippers. I rarely ever buy used vinyl. I just think it's pretty shitty for someone to order multiple copies of a record and hold on to them with the sole intention of selling them at an inflated price later.

And please, obviously there are far more important thigns than records, but something like this can still piss you off.

To Soysquad : To say people shouldn't buy from flippers and not get so hyped up on getting a record for a high price would not complete a collection... collectors collect to have as many as they desire and it sometime haunts their toughts day and night. Yes, we're that stupid and obsessed. One more thing, older records from 10/20/30/40 years ago are not necesseraly repressed so you have to go and shell out big bucks to listen to them. Flippers, just like labels, like the smell of money and it's one more way of getting some so don't spend if you don't want to but don't take down people who do spend their money on something they want. Beside, more money for the band/label means more music in the end.

I have to go against abusing flippers who would buy 10, 20 maybe more records just to sell them back at 3 times the original price 3 weeks later (like the recent Blink 182 episode). Fat Wreck Chords now have a "1 per order" policy on their limited vinyl wich is a great thing to do. Labels should not make VERY limited runs if they do not want people taking advantage of fans/collectors or at least do like Fat Wreck and put a limit.

Believe me man, I know where you're coming from. If you look at my list, you'll see I collect certain bands too. But collecting means that we're prone to this. We did it to ourselves by creating a demand for the product. I just take it as part of collecting. It seems that everyone here likes to get their panties in a bunch whenever flipping comes up, but how many of them have made a profit on an album they bought and then sold? That's flipping too (as you define it). If it was just them wanting to pass it on to a another collector for a fair price, they'd sell it at cost. But we're willing to pay for it, so they stay in business.

What I am saying, is if you wanted something that bad, that creates issues like the blink flippers and whatnot, make the arrangements to be able to place an order when the sales go up. If you can't be online, or aren't sure when exactly something may go up (like the fatwreck sales) then expect to pay an inflating price for a rare object.

These things only cost so much to make, we're the ones that put the value on them. If we pay the prices the flippers want, then we're telling them, and other collectors, that those specific records are worth the cost.

Example, I just dropped almost a 100 bucks on a Screeching Weasel 7". That record was like 3-5 bucks when it came out. But due to it's rarity, and my "need" to have it in my collection, it was worth the price to me. Was the guy selling it a flipper? Not really, it was an auction on ebay, and he wasn't selling it for a set price. He let the market decide the cost. If he was the first owner, anything over that 5 dollar mark was pure profit to him, but I don't fault the guy for selling it at the price. He had a commodity that I wanted, and I was willing to pay a premium for.

Last, your last statement about it being more money for the band/label is absolutely correct when talking about the flippers. They pretty much guarantee a sellout of certain items, meaning the labels, bands, etc make all their money back on the item. It's then left up to the collectors, fans, and flippers to deal with the product. Then it all comes down to supply and demand. It's a game, sometimes the flippers lose, sometimes they win. Sometimes we win when they have to dump something at cost or below just to get rid of it because it wasn't in as much demand as they thought.

Personally, I don't flip. I offered up all the records I sold recently here first for about my cost + shipping. When stuff stopped selling here, I put them up on ebay. I made a pretty healthy profit on a couple records, and lost money on a few others. it all evens out. But it was about market demand. I started all my auctions at .99 cents. If I make a profit, great, if not, oh well, I already got my enjoyment out of them, so whatever.

These threads are ridiculous and redundant. People are gonna buy records with the sole intention of selling them at a higher price to someone. It works with records, comics, cars, balloons, food, gold, whatever. Get the fuck over it. No one deserves to buy a record more than anyone else, and what you want to do with a record once you buy it is your own damn business. Maybe I'll buy a whole bunch of the Brand New album tomorrow and melt them into coasters. WHO CARES?